Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: Twitchy handling in a straight line  (Read 27418 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Twitchy handling in a straight line
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »

Do we all find it interesting that the 2014's now have larger neck bearings and larger fork tubes.....???? Just saying.....! We weren't crazy!!!

Woulda been nice if they'd have just done that in '09 with the frame redesign. :-\

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »

Do we all find it interesting that the 2014's now have larger neck bearings and larger fork tubes.....???? Just saying.....! We weren't crazy!!!

That was one of the first things that really caught my eye while reviewing the 2014 tech bulletin.  Different tightening and adjustment methods, different assembly method, just a whole different kit.  Hopefully it addresses what's been a longstanding problem.

One disappointment with it though.  When I first saw the descriptions I (apparently mistakenly) thought it was built with sealed bearings.  Apparently it's not.  Even though it's no longer externally serviceable there was an every 25k mile spec for greasing the bearings/neck.  That means every 25k the nose comes off the bike for a bearing pack....   ?

Seriously doubt the great American manufacturer that is Harley Davidson looks for comparison to the ideas of Vladimir Lenin.  But when presented with things like that a guy can't help but think "One step forward, two steps back."  It's also a service you know many will just never do.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2013, 06:23:20 PM »

That was one of the first things that really caught my eye while reviewing the 2014 tech bulletin.  Different tightening and adjustment methods, different assembly method, just a whole different kit.  Hopefully it addresses what's been a longstanding problem.

One disappointment with it though.  When I first saw the descriptions I (apparently mistakenly) thought it was built with sealed bearings.  Apparently it's not.  Even though it's no longer externally serviceable there was an every 25k mile spec for greasing the bearings/neck.  That means every 25k the nose comes off the bike for a bearing pack....   ?

Seriously doubt the great American manufacturer that is Harley Davidson looks for comparison to the ideas of Vladimir Lenin.  But when presented with things like that a guy can't help but think "One step forward, two steps back."  It's also a service you know many will just never do.
I saw that maintenance interval as well.  I'm wondering if it'll be extended after a few years like the fuel filter interval was. 

The new tree that bolts the top of the tube, in addition to the 49mm fork tubes, should be real game-changers.  I'm curious to see what they've done with spring rates and damper valves, but the hard parts are impressive. 

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2013, 09:20:56 PM »

I saw a new Street Glide today and the wheels are similar in shape to the "Chisel" Wheels.  I wonder if this problem will show up on them?  Just a thought.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »

Spoke to my dealership the other day and they said it prolly was the swing arm bearing. Prolly $500.00 lets see if this works kinda thing.  :nixweiss:
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2013, 05:52:34 PM »

Good luck with the possible fix with your bike.  I know how frustrating it can be to chase a handling issue.  Let us know if it works.

HarleyGuy

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2013, 10:28:04 PM »

From day one, my '13 CVO Ultra seemed to be much more "tippier" (if that's a real word?).
It handles fine at low, middle and high speeds abut it just seems to require more effort to maintain it level.
I can't say that I've noticed any other bad handling characteristics but perhaps I've just adapted to the way my bike handles.

I have a friend who has a '10 Ultra so first chance I get I'll ride his and see if there's a similarity in the handling of the two bikes.
I certainly hope it isn't the wheels since my friend liked my wheels so much that he bought two for his bike! :o

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2013, 11:20:03 PM »

Please ride his bike before he puts on the wheels and then ride yours again.  He may want to cancel the order.

HarleyGuy

« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2013, 12:59:59 AM »

I plan to, and to also let him ride mine.

We've rode each other's bikes before but only around town.

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CUSE8
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2013, 06:22:34 AM »

For those of you who "don't have the problem", I bet that if you got on a non-CVO Ultra with stock wheels you would notice a big difference in the handling and feel.  Take a test ride, you have nothing to lose.

Advice taken, and I definitely do not have that problem.  I believe this is a real issue though, no doubt about it.  Isn't there an engineer among us that can (independent from MoCo) test the aerodynamics of the chisel vs a stock wheel?  I know this is likely a mfg issue since some are having twitchyness and others aren't, but real data might heighten this real problem. 

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2013, 07:45:02 AM »

For those of you who "don't have the problem", I bet that if you got on a non-CVO Ultra with stock wheels you would notice a big difference in the handling and feel.  Take a test ride, you have nothing to lose.

I came off a '10 Ultra LTD and for me the '13 CVO Ultra is just as steady if not steadier at any speed I would like to travel at. I also think the issue is real....perhaps a bad batch of Chisels were produced...My '13 was one that was built late in the '13 production cycle.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:47:13 AM by blacktop »

hep0950

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2013, 12:55:39 PM »

I came off a '10 Ultra LTD and for me the '13 CVO Ultra is just as steady if not steadier at any speed I would like to travel at. I also think the issue is real....perhaps a bad batch of Chisels were produced...My '13 was one that was built late in the '13 production cycle.

I came off an '08 Ultra to a '12 Ultra CVO and felt that the CVO handled better. I had wire wheels on the '08. I agree with blacktop, that there may have been a bad batch of chisel wheels. They are still using them, and not everyone is having this problem.  Another thing that may be the problem is the tires, from what I hear. There have been cracks found on the Dunlop tires down inside the tread. I have also heard that Dunlap is aware of the problem and replacing them is no problem. Someone on the HD Forum site said he noticed it while he had it on his jack. The more I hear of the problem and those who don't have it, the more I think it is a defective part that is the root of the problem. Hopefully it will be found.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »

Hmmm mine was early in the production and I have the same problem
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »

Mine is a late one as I picked it up on the first day of May and the dealer had just gotten it.  The front tire was changed out and that did not fix the problem.  The Street Glide 18" wheel I installed had a stock Dunlop with 5K on it.  That wheel and tire corrected the problem.  All other adjustments to the front end were checked and double checked.  The only thing left was the wheel.  I will install the PM wheels with Metzler tires next week and will post when it is completed.  I have never, ever had a twitchy feeling like this on any other bike I have owned or ridden including the 30+ Harleys I have owned dating back to a 1969 XLCH.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »

Did you only use the stock street glide tire on the front?

It will be interesting to see how your PM wheels work out

It's also interesting to see the 2014's have bigger neck bearings and beefed up forks
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.