Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: There goes this summer.  (Read 6387 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: There goes this summer.
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 08:59:02 PM »

Really sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident.  If you think you have sore old man muscles now wait until you are 60 and up.  The mind is willing but for the most part our bodies don't respond like we would like them to.   Hope you heal quick and have as little discomfort as possible.  Isn't it amassing how fast our lives can change?  This past year I have had more close calls than I can remember, starting to get to the point of accepting that it is only a matter of time before someone does something I will regret.  I'm hoping to get 5 more years of riding in before I park her for good.  Wish you good luck healing, the bike is the easy part.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 09:09:33 PM »

Dan, praise God you were evasive enough to miss the full impact of the car. I pray that you heal as quick as you responded to a possible catastrophe! It is so dangerous out there. Everyone on a cell phone or texting and driving. It is a reminder to me to ride like your invisible when your on your scooter. Get well soon and I will be lifting you up in prayer to the throne of grace! Bless ya man! :2vrolijk_21:

:bananarock:

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 09:19:23 AM »

Well, shyte.  :-\

I never thought it would happen to me, but last week I was hit by a car while riding.  It was a relatively a small bump, and I'm grateful that it wasn't worse, but my summer riding has come to an end for the year.  I wasn't hurt badly (road rash, bumps and bruises, a broken foot, and sore old man muscles), but the bike will be out 6-8 weeks.  As some here know, I just traded my SG for a brand spanking new Ultra;  it didn't even have its plate yet!

Basically, the cars ahead of me stopped, I stopped, and the car of distracted teenagers behind me didn't stop.  The driver was out celebrating his 18th Bday in his mom's UN-insured car with his buddies.

This being my first true car vs motorcycle mva, I made a couple observations:

-I'm even more vain and superficial than I thought.  The first thing I did was check for scratches/rash on the fairing, front fender, and saddlebags.  Praise Buddha, Allah, and Jesus!  The only damage, besides that from the impact, was to the highway bars and the saddle bag bars!

-Even though I've never taken his Ride like a Pro course, I've heard IronHorse's constant nag, nag, nagging ( ;) Thanks, Mark) about riding strategies and always looking for possible escape routes.  It  probably saved me from more serious injury.  The split second I stopped, I thought of the possibility that the car behind me may not stop in time, and I immediately tried to pull to the left side of the car ahead of me (we were in a single construction lane).  I was struck on the left saddle bag and rear fender just before pulling off the lane to the left shoulder.  After knocking me out of the way, the car finally stopped when it plowed into the car that had been ahead of me.  Thanks again, Mark.  :2vrolijk_21:  Things could have been so much worse for me.  :nervous:

-It's amazing how hard it is to control a 900lb blob of metal when its locomotive force comes from an external source delivered at an odd angle.  I flopped around like a boned fish trying to keep the bike from going down. 

-I have Super Man-like strength when I'm in shock.  The bike's saddle bag guard came to rest on my left foot, and I pushed that 900lbs off me like it was a throw pillow.  Then I picked up the bike off the asphalt like it was a 250lb dirt bike.  Thank you, adrenaline.

-Adrenaline is an awesome analgesic.  I felt nothing for at least an hour. 

-Asphalt is amazingly efficient at taking skin off an unprotected human limb.  Can't imagine how much skin one could lose in a high speed crash.

-Times like this show us how important the "Harley Brotherhood" is.  No less that four guys with HD shirts stopped to offer help and volunteer to be witnesses when the police arrived.  I think the kids in the car were intimidated by this flash biker gang that formed so quickly.

-This may have been a message from the great beyond telling me that I should have gone to the Santa Fe GTG.   :orange: :mango:  :pepper:

Everyone here, have a happy and safe 4th of July, ride safe and smart.  And watch out for those little uninsured bastards driving their mommies' cars.

Dan

I'm in the same boat.  Mashed my Road Glide up last Saturday.  I stepped off without a scratch, but the scooter is killed from the tank forward, plus a saddle bag.  I figured out what I need and checked the pricing, but all of the painted stuff is 6-8 weeks out.   So it'll be fall before it's ready to ride again.  I have other scooters I can ride, but this was my only bagger, so the summer trips are all off.  It's been on the jack for a week now, waiting for an adjuster to look at it, but haven't even gotten a call to set up a time yet.  My insurance company has handed it off to a contract adjuster, not sure what that's about.

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 09:53:34 AM »

Hate the bike was hurt but glad you walked/hobbled away with minor injuries.  I hope the teenager that hit you learned from this but probably (and tragically) not.  
Among other things in my career, I've taught the Smith Systems drivers course.  I thought I was a good driver/rider for many years but after the course, I realized all the bad habits I had picked up....one being not paying attention to the cars/idiots around me.  5 simple rules to remember:
1) Aim High in Steering
2) Get the big picture
3) Keep your eyes moving
4) Leave yourself an out (which you did and probably saved you from a much worse fate)
5) Make sure they see you

Lord be with you during the healing and I pray that you are well and back on two wheels soon, Dan

Howard
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:33:12 PM by Haird »

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 11:18:48 AM »

Dan,
Very sorry to read your post!  That was a scary Incident that clearly could have been worse.  I hope you're feeling better and that the bike can be fixed quickly.

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »

Hang in there Brother !!!! Glade to here for the most part your OK.
DND

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 03:35:53 PM »

Basically, the cars ahead of me stopped, I stopped, and the car of distracted teenagers behind me didn't stop.  The driver was out celebrating his 18th Bday in his mom's UN-insured car with his buddies.

Glad to hear you are  ok.  The bike can get fixed !   Never ceases to amaze me........... :soapbox:..................how can you call yourself a parent (mom) and be so frinken STUPID!  Maybe the kid took the car without permission?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »

Like airplane pilots say; "Any crash you walk away from is a good crash....

jb

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 05:46:22 PM »

Sucks to hear this but glad that you are okay!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 07:34:31 PM »

So sorry to see this..just yesterday I must have saw 4 different cars in the Ventura Fry Texting!  It made my blood boil.
Glad you had great training..we all have to Remember to have an exit plan...good for you!
Get some needed rest,

Best wishes
Stan

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 01:46:46 AM »

Feel for ya one can only try to cover all that gos on around us to stay out of harms way. The moment your guard is down it's like a crock waitting to strike. Glad you faired OK.

CVOJIMMYC

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: MY BSR "shes a sweet ride too"
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »

Just Glad to hear you're OK! God  has blessed you my  brother  :2vrolijk_21:
My favorite color is chrome

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 11:42:08 AM »

glad to hear that you're okay, sucks about the scoot though.  what really pisses me off about this kind of thing is, this was no 'accident'.  it was pure negligence on the driver's part.  an accident is if a meteor hits you while your riding, or a tree falls down in front of you, that kind of thing.  if people would stop being so preoccupied with everything but driving while they are behind the wheel, then the majority of these incidents wouldn't happen.  but people are in such a hurry that they aren't paying full attention to what they are doing.

glad you were hyper-vigilant though, it would have sucked much worse if you weren't.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »

Everyone, thanks for all your kind words and support.  It means a lot.  I'm a little embarrassed, because a little chipped bone in my foot doesn't begin to compare to what many here have gone through.   :znotworthy: :znotworthy: :znotworthy:

I got some good news today.  The painted parts are available much sooner than anticipated, and the bike will be ready within the week.  :orange: :apple: :jalapeno: :pineapple: :pepper:  I am shocked to hear that there's over $11,000 of damage to the bike from such a little crash.  But, like Cathy Bates said in Fried Green Tomatoes,  "I'm older, and have better insurance."

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.