Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extended Warranties  (Read 1260 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Extended Warranties
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:50:30 PM »

I really liked the analogy of a kid waiting for Christmas when it comes to waiting for my new bike. Many sleepless nights looking here trying to get all of the information I can gather. The best advice I have seen so far is to wait until I put a few miles on it before I make any changes. However, the little lady still wants to know what to get me for Christmas so I told her I would like to add chrome speaker and radio bezels.
My question to the group is extended warranties. I read that they are negotiable and can be purchased afterwards at any dealer. Are they worth it? Thanks in advance and for a great forum! AJ

Hawgwash

• Junior CVO Member
  • Wife called it male menopause ... Whatever.
Re: Extended Warranties
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 12:28:45 AM »

My question to the group is extended warranties. I read that they are negotiable and can be purchased afterwards at any dealer. Are they worth it? Thanks in advance and for a great forum! AJ

Very good question. Ditto - Thanks in advance for responses.
06 SEUC, SE 2:1 Pipes, SEAC, SERT

scewtr

• SCEWTR - IV
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 07:04:59 AM »

Generally, I do not beleive in extended warrantees...however; on my last two Ultra Classics I purchased the EW, and both times they paid for themselves.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 07:27:41 AM »

Read and know what it covers and does not cover. Then How long do you plan to keep it (the Bike) . Save your money or spend it on chrome.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 08:01:36 AM »

hi hard10,
I agree with VAZHOG in that you need to think about how long you plan to keep the new bike. Remember the factory covers most stuff for 2 years. That may affect your decision on some accessories too. Many dealers only cover the accessories at time of bike purchase under the two year warranty if they install it.
I also agree with the fact that there is so much electronics on the new bikes especially the Ultras that if you plan to keep the bike for many years it may pay to have an extended warranty. Read the warranty carefully since some have a touring bike rider you need to mark in order to cover the radio,saddlebags and other Ultra type stuff that the standard warranty doesn't cover.
I have read where some folks have used the 20% discount dealers on this site to get a discounted warranty but I have seen some posts where others have tried for the discount and not been able to get it, so I don't know the status of the discount.
Your purchasing dealer may be able to discount the warranty for you if you ask during negotiations. I asked but didn't get it but since I got my Haze for MSRP and got 15% off all accessories I didn't complain.

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, but rather the journey
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 06:03:32 PM »

Here is something else to consider...in addition to how long you will own the bike, consider that if you do sell it before the EW is up, you can sell the balance back through the dealer and get some portion back.  I had an '04 Heritage I had for a little over two years and when I sold it I got back about $1200.  It also is a real "add" if you want to sell the bike with the EW as it is transferable.  I bought the EW with the tire protection and boy did it pay for itself...I have 9600 miles on my bike that I picked up mid April this year, and had it in for the 10K service.  The service mgr called me and said I needed a new rear tire, (I thought I would replace it in about 2K miles), due to the fact that I had a slice in the tire.  I asked about the tire warranty, and guess what...they replaced the tire and included the labor, and it cost me $4 for the enviromental fee!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  So, I believe in EWs. [smiley=banana.gif]

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 11:11:26 AM »

I did the old pace back and forth on the EW when I was doing the paper work on my 07 Ultra. I decided that the warm and fuzzy feeling was a consideration and also spend the couple of bucks for the tire replacement even though I've never had flat. I've had the EW on my other RK and never used it, but use the heck out of it on the Dyna. Just never know.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 09:42:21 PM »

There are many considerations to the service contract question - I prefer to look at the long term return on investment.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 12:09:11 AM »

JMHO >
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 12:14:00 AM »

Fired00d, I knew I could count on you to "push" me over the edge. I just had to wait til you came back from MV. Wish I was there.
AJ

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 12:45:16 AM »

Fired00d, I knew I could count on you to "push" me over the edge. I just had to wait til you came back from MV. Wish I was there.
AJ
AJ,
It was a blast meeting all the people from the site. If it were not for family I'd still be down there having fun. It was hard saying goodbye's last night. :(

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 08:41:11 AM »

Heads up on the EW Warranties regarding, "Getting a refund for the un used portion". It's my understanding at the time of purchase that the EW runs concurently with the  2 yr mfg warranties. Thus reducing the amount refunded   because they are prorated. CHECK THE FINE PRINT ON THIS>>>>>>> I personally think that's bull chit>>> They should start when the two year runs out. This only applies if you are trying to get a refund for the unused part... Greg  
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 08:54:34 PM »

Thats true, the buy back starts pro rating it from the day of purchase. The reason being, according to them, is because of the extra coverage you get from day one such as the hotel reimbersment & towing.
Better to remain quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

CVOHarley Member #2390

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 11:21:34 PM »

Okay.... picked my Smurf up today in Tampa!! I had 4 warranty options:

1. Seven year EW.
2. Seven Year EW and 100% Tire and Wheel EW
3. same as #2 plus GAP insurance
4. same as #3 plus theft insurance

I went with #2. If I get a nail or screw in my tire as long as it has 3/32's (I think) of tread left I get a new tire. Even if this happens every week. There is no deductable and no cap.

On the EW proration. If you have a 2 year warranty and add 2 years to it you have a total of 4 years. If you keep the bike for one year, thats 25% of your warranty gone plus a 10% "penalty" fee. So if you purchased a warranty that cost say $1200, you would lose $120 right off the top. That leaves $1080. Now ultiply that by 75% and that would be your refund.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:22:06 PM by Robmay »

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 23 queries.