Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: i Visited the dealer today...  (Read 1511 times)

roadking40

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
i Visited the dealer today...
« on: October 14, 2006, 05:29:17 PM »

I rode the scoot to the local Chandler AZ dealer today. When I rolled in the parking lot, about 15 employees were standing out front. As I walked in I realized they all had gone over to look at the bike. Only one guy knew what it was... several others looked at the frame code and said there is no way that bike is a 2000... it has the new brakes, axles, etc etc. Long story short, most HD sales people have no idea what the FXR was about. Three guys asked if the bike was for sale... all said it was unreal looking bike.

My question to fellow owners, do you get the same response?

I enjoyed the ride this am, will continue my qwest to restore all the original parts.

RedFXR2

Re: i Visited the dealer today...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 06:35:21 PM »

Long story short, most HD sales people have no idea what the FXR was about.

My question to fellow owners, do you get the same response?

My answer:  Yes.

During the time I've owned my FXR2 I've had to argue with HD parts people who insisted that FXR's were discontinued after 1994, and therefore I couldn't possibly have a 1999.  They had never even heard of the CVO (this was only about 3 years ago).  The same HD people then insisted that all parts for a Dyna would fit--after all, my bike was a 1999 and there were Dynas built in 1999... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Of course the above story takes for granted that the HD people at least know the nomenclature of 'FXR'.  Not all have even heard of it.  Thank goodness for the one great parts guy at the local dealer (Sam) who still has his 1994--I wait to talk to him if I need anything.

Today, I find that fewer and fewer people, HD employees or not, even know what a FXR is or was.  It takes more than the casual customer to recognize them and appreciate the design.  Last year I ventured into the local Ducati store to look at the Paul Smart retro road racer and the manager of the Ducati store recognized my bike for what it is, knew all about the design, that Eric Buell had done it for handling, lightweight rigidity and efficient power transfer, and told me that it had been the only HD he had ever wanted.  I mean the Ducati dealer  knows more about these things than the HD dealer. ::)

Anyway, yes it's not unusual.  Look at it this way--we've got a very unique bike that requires a knowledgeable rider to recognize.  That's a good thing.  The owner of my local indy shop rides a 1994 FXLR (he could ride anything he wanted) as did the owner of the indy shop in NC where I found my bike on consignment.  When folks like that, with all their knowledge and power of choice, hold onto their FXR's, it tells me something.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 07:45:39 PM »

Here, here! What Red said.

I get the same response. Everybody asks what I ride and when I say FXR most go, "...oh". Nothing behind the eyes, no lights flashing, nothing. I also hear a lot of, "is it new?" Then I have to spend more time than I care to take to tell them more than they care to know :-). Most folks I'll let off with the short version, but not the stealer personnel... unh-uh, they get the WHOLE story from Eric Buell's racing career to the birth of the CVO program and every significant FXR trivia tidbit in between. (I'm pretty sure they hate me there).

However, it is a real treat to run accross some old guy who see's you park at the pub or where ever, and says, "nice FXR". Gotta love that guy!
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 12:21:34 PM »

I live in Chi-Town but actually rented a scoot from Chandler HD last year visiting some buds of mine.  Nice shop missed having my FXR3 though.  The V-Rod sport I rented (all they had left on Thanksgiving weekend) left much to be desired. Although it was a rental!  I found a patch like the one in the attachment at a rally and had it sewn to my vest.  Everyone asks what an FXR is!  I am very fortunate that there is a service tech at my dealer that owns a blue '99 FXR3 so I get some good info from him.  I found the patch in the attchment on ebay in case your interested.

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 12:27:57 PM »

Saw this site on an earlier thread.  Could help you find all of the original parts you're looking for.

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem-parts-nav.asp

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 02:38:00 PM »

...I found a patch like the one in the attachment at a rally and had it sewn to my vest.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 02:46:59 PM »

...Except for maybe the old-school sister-patch for the FXRL "Low Rider"... Used to make a nice patch similar to ours... now everything just says "Dyna".

Nope, found Low Rider on eBay too. dam, they really do have EVERYTHING there...

:-)

roadking40

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 03:46:44 PM »

Pretty crazy isnt it? My bike had a relay fail and I needed it towed in. The folks at Superstition HD were fantastic, perhaps the best customer service I have every had with regards to a HD product. The tow was free, $76 later I was rolling again. The service dept staff loved the FXR4. All said the chassis is the best HD has ever built.  IMO - the bike is unique as hell, easy to ride and a great conversation piece. I am having a blast with it.

I decided on keeping the billet wheel on the front, (which the previous owner installed) and have purchased two different Corbin seats, one with a passenger backrest, the other a "badlander" style. Both look great. Getting ready to start my engine project after the holidays. Should be fun.

Have a great holiday season, if you can ride, be safe, the crazy shoppers are out in force.

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 21 queries.