Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: going big a "different" way  (Read 2570 times)

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
going big a "different" way
« on: October 09, 2006, 04:44:53 PM »

I pulled the trigger today for 114" build for the CVO

DESTROKING the motor from 4.375" to 4.0"  

Revperformance 4.25 bore cylinders with forged CP flat top pistons  (4.25 by 4.0 = 114")

new 4.0" crank, trued,welded and dynamically balanced, case boring with timken conversion
cnc ported heads, 84CC chambers, 1.94 intake 1.63 exhaust  stainless valves, beehive springs
10.75 :1 comp.  199 ccp  ( 9.75:1 dynamic compression,) compression releases
T-man 590g cams
chrome moly adjustable pushrods, revperf lifters, roller rockers
HP inc 54 mm t-body  "yellow stripe" injectors
Fatcat and or borzilla (think the motor will like the Factcat better below 4500)
vpc clutch
Worked with Brian at Revperformance over several days to design the build.
I like the "all bore" build and the nikasil lined cylinders for several reasons. The naskil cylinders typically run up to 40 degrees cooler than a steel lined cylinder....all the japanese bikes, as well as Nascar,Mercedes and Porsche run them. they have a lifetime warranty . Perferf. diamond hones them to fit the CP pistons and sets the ring gaps.
The over square, all bore, means lower piston speeds,and a more stable piston due to less side loading,and better oil control....they rev really quick too!

they just finished a comparable build, but with 1.90 and 1.615 valves that made 134 tq and 132 hp...but the thing was making 118ftlbs at 2650 on the way up.

Using a flat top piston with a .030 quench will give me a better mixture distribution and flame propagation since there is no dome to get in the way....(no pinging..better power)
Brian said it's a real "quiet" build because the .590 lift doesnt need 188 lb springs with 450lbs on the nose like you would need with a .650 lift cam..easier on the valvetrain..not slammin the valve closed against the seat...
They have some dynos on their website www.revperf.com  with this cam as well as on T-mans web site (t-mans site has a scary chart for a 124" with this basic setup and cam www.tmanperformance.com
I should have all the parts in my hands by the end of the month...case boring, timken conversion and build and assembly, break-in and tuning on a 250I load control dyno, will be done by www.dyno-power.com  in toledo, oh....they run a 8.22 second pro mod harley.

I'm not gonna sleep much for awhile.....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:25:38 PM by syclone »
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: going big a "different" way
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 08:11:21 PM »

Syclone you have a pm

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

jfritz_drfritz

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 09:52:51 PM »

The nikasil cylinder thing concerns me. Yes many japanese manufacturers use nikasil cylinders, but those engines have much tighter tolerances than an aircooled harley davidson (and they are water cooled!). The only other air cooled bikes that I am aware of which use nikasil cylinders are BMW and it is my understanding that they are notorious for oil consumption for a looooong time before the rings finally seat. Is the person who recommended these to you willing to stand behind it and guarantee no or low oil consumption with this setup without making a lot of excuses??
05 FLHTCSE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 10:34:46 PM »

The nikasil cylinder thing concerns me. Yes many japanese manufacturers use nikasil cylinders, but those engines have much tighter tolerances than an aircooled harley davidson (and they are water cooled!). The only other air cooled bikes that I am aware of which use nikasil cylinders are BMW and it is my understanding that they are notorious for oil consumption for a looooong time before the rings finally seat. Is the person who recommended these to you willing to stand behind it and guarantee no or low oil consumption with this setup without making a lot of excuses??
Actually, Nikasil
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 10:39:29 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

syclone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 06:34:43 PM »

go to www.revperf.com and on the home page click on "watch the video" for the complete story of the company and how the cylinders are made.  no difference what so ever as far as ring seating vs a "lined" cylinder.  Over on the V-Twin forum there are lots of 114's. none have reported ANY kind of oil consumption.  Ask anyone who sells you a lined cylinder,if they will gurantee no oil consumption. The fact that the heat disipation is so much better, the average when shooting a cylinder with a lazer temp gun is @ 40 degrees, is a good thing with an air cooled motor.
I guess I will find out shortly.....the guys at www.dyno-power.com have done quite a few 114's with them also (where my bike will go).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 06:35:23 PM by syclone »

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv

Big Time

• Junior CVO Member
  • We ride for beer...need a beer for the ride
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 08:18:46 PM »

If you don't mind my nosiness...what's the damage? ($$$).
2004 FLHTCSE black and blue
1998 XLHC 1200

syclone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 11:48:31 AM »

If you don't mind my nosiness...what's the damage? ($$$).
The total for the parts.....new cylinder heads, cnc ported, with stainless 1.940 and 1.615 5/16th valves, viton seals and beehive springs,chambers cc'd and equalized for 10.75:comp with .030 squish ,compression releases installed ,roller rockers, forged CP  pistons, cylinders , cylinders diamond honed to fit the pistons with ring end gaps set for each cylinder, all gaskets ,,lifters, chromoly adjustible push rods and tubes, gear drive cams, cam gears, cam install kit, new 4" crankshaft assembly, dynamically balanced with bob weights, (you weigh the piston,rings,pins and clips..then add that weight to the crank so the whole reciprocating assembly can be spun up and balanced to within a few grams),crank pins welded so the wheels cant shift...... $ 5000.00

Now...because I wanted an oversquare all bore motor...I needed a new crank ($700.00)  and because it makes so sense to, me anyway,  to spend the time and effort to try and make the CVO 103 heads with their huge hemi chambers with no squish work...I needed to buy new heads. Had I sent Brian a set of stock twin cam heads for cores, I could have deducted another $450.00.
Now the motor has to come out and have the case bored for the cylinders, and have the timken conversion done, assembly and tune with 53 mm HP Inc t-body.
With the t- body and build labor and tune i'll have upwards of $8600.00 in it.

Pretty close to what most H-d shops get for a 113" kit installed on a stock 88" motor. But with out of the box parts, no clearances checked, bolt it together...without gear drive cams.

An alternative route for us 103" owners...use your stock 103" crank (save $700.00) , bore the case and do the timken conversion (a must) and using the same cylinders(4.25") and pistons in the kit, you end up at 124". Compression will jump way up cause you're pushing all that displacement into tha same sized head, run some S&S 570 cams , leave it badged as a 103" . should make 120/120 by accident!  now you're at $5000.00 minus $700.00 = 4300.00  4300.00 minus $895.00 for heads and another $450.00 core charge.  $2755.00 in parts.. for a 124" kit.(will need a throttle body still)
If you dont want to dynamically balance the crank ... you're down to $ 2300.00 (but still with the cams/gears, rollers, push rods,tubes etc..)

Just not the way I wanted to go..(but I sure thought about it for a while....would need a six speed cause you end up with some serious piston speeds)......a 124( built to the same degree as the 114) would mean chain drive, and breaking trans parts when you get up to the 160/160 area.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:30:29 PM by syclone »

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 22 queries.