Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with exhaust install  (Read 1599 times)

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
Help with exhaust install
« on: July 09, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »

Im installing the VH BR 2into2 on my Breakout. I went to put the new pipes on the bike tonight and to me it doesn't look like they fit. The original pipes were tapered and fit inside the crush gasket while the VH pipes are not tapered and the seem to be to big to go inside the gasket. They seem to fit over the gasket. I don't want to try to force it and mess up the head to my bike but surely since these pipes are made FOR this bike they are the right ones. This may seem trivial but I don't want to mess up a expensive bike. Can someone tell me what Im doing wrong?

BeeCVOBreakOut

• Junior CVO Member
  • Breakout and say no to baggers.
Re: Help with exhaust install
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »

You may have to run the flat type gaskets which are different from OEM. I had to use the after market flat ones when I installed my Bassani setup.
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 Lao Tzu

If I needed a fairing, windshield, stereo and storage space, I would drive my car. Break out and just say no to bags.

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 11:40:24 AM »

I went to the HD dealership and they told me that they never changed the gaskets, they used the same crush gaskets that came in the bike. I don't see it but Im going to do it and see what happens.

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 12:34:02 PM »

Did you verify the part number off the VH website? I know a bunch of people were using the pipes made for the Rocker and they "kinda" fit. VH made a part number specifically for the breakout. I think the rocker pipes were hitting the oil lines, same with the Rineharts for the rocker and other softtails.

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 02:34:32 PM »

No, these are the ones made for the Breakout. It says CVO breakout on the box.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 04:21:12 PM »

I went to the HD dealership and they told me that they never changed the gaskets, they used the same crush gaskets that came in the bike. I don't see it but Im going to do it and see what happens.

Sounds like a Harley shop.

Inspect the ones currently in the heads with a small flashlight and make sure they aren't damaged or crushed off center.  At low miles and with no visible damage, you can probably get away with the stockers.  However, for the next time I'd suggest buying a set of gaskets when you buy new pipes.  They're cheap, and it's always better to have all the parts on hand before you start a mod or repair as opposed to needing something halfway through and the only place open is forty miles away, or it's a Sunday or the middle of the night and no one is open.  And check the manual for the proper tightening sequence and torque specs.  That is quite important if you want the best odds for a leak free result.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »

One other thing too.  Check with V&H to see which type of gasket they recommend.  Some pipes are designed for either the flat (S/E) or the tapered (stock).

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 12:13:09 AM »

One other thing too.  Check with V&H to see which type of gasket they recommend.  Some pipes are designed for either the flat (S/E) or the tapered (stock).

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.

This is the correct answer and I'd bet you need the SE gaskets.

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 11:41:38 PM »

You are correct.  I bought them by chance before reading this and they worked

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.