Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Amsoil vs. Syn3  (Read 12525 times)

Josh

Amsoil vs. Syn3
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:43:34 AM »

I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on using Amsoil 20w-50 for the engine vs. HD Syn3. I was going to do an oil change soon and was thinking about changing. The bike has always had Syn3.

mrbhd

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2008 Flhtcuse3
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
Re: Amsoil vs. Syn3
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:46:04 AM »

Personally I run Amsoil and have for years.  You will get a multitude of opinions on this.  In reality I think any good quality syn is fine including syn 3.  Just your preference or choice!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »

I use Amsoil and have for about 12 years.    :2vrolijk_21:  Here is their Amsoil White Paper, probably more information than you would ever want.    :huepfenlol2:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »

When the folks at Amsoil put the top selling motorcycle oils through a batch of laboratory tests a few years back, SYN3 came in with an overall ranking of #4 (very good).  If you like buying stuff from the MoCo, there is no reason why you shouldn't use SYN3 in the engine.  As for the other two holes, you would be better off using lubes specifically designed for those and not motor oil.

I personally refuse to buy Harley's synthetic oil, due to all the lies and general BS they fed customers for decades about how synthetic oils weren't approved for a Harley and they would cause all sorts of problems (they didn't).  Then overnight the story changed, on the day they launched their own synthetic oil.  I really don't like people or companies that try to jerk customers around and lie to them.  To each his own.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member
  • Baggers- Not just for grandpa anymore

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Orange and Black
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »

Have to agree with Jerry Here. That burns me up as well. Don't bad mouth a product because you want to sell yours. Use any oil on that list. The most important factor is how frequently you change more so then with what you change it with. I am a Corvette guy as well and switched to Mobil one way back in 99 when one of my vettes was burning a qt every 3-4k. Switched to Mobile one and never had another problem, so I figured hey, let me try in my Harley Fat Boy at the time. 6 bikes later always use Mobil 1 vtwin , Spectra platinum 6speed in tranny and formula + harley oil in Primary. But hey, thats just me.
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Trucklite ph 7 w/ passing lamps
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
Wild1 Chubby 578 10" Bars
TP Removal System
CVO SG Stretch Bags and Rear Fender
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 03:05:42 PM »

Amsoil here Too!   :2vrolijk_21:  Just my opinion  ;)

Harley88

• Harley 88
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NV

• CVO1: 07 blue
    • CVO2: 13 sliver
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 03:29:40 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 03:39:37 PM »

I use Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 currently in the engine. I have used AMSoil MCV 20W-50 as well. Both are excellent. Mobil 1 is easier to find outside of a dealer... such as in the local AutoZone. Sometimes you can get it on sale, too.

I also use the Scavenger by Rogue Chopper at every oil change, to pump fresh oil through the engine and get out the quart of old cruddy oil that is still in the crankcase and in the oil cooler after the oil pan has been drained. Takes another quart and a half of new oil - but after a change I have all NEW oil in the system, instead of 25% old dirty oil still in the mix.

For what its worth... I use Redline Shockproof in the tranny, and a mix of 70% Formula+ and 30% Mobil 1 Syn Transmission fluid in the primary.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »

Yet another oil thread . . .  :wall:
Jesus is Lord

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »

Amsoil for me too. I also like to use the Amsoil 75W140 Gear Lube for the transmission. Quiets the clunking noise when going into first.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »

One of the main things I have found about this site is grc is pretty smart and won't lie on purpose. The biggest difference between him & me is.....hes not really fond of the MoCo and I am. But I drank the Kool-Aid years ago and he didn't...........oh wait!! This is an oil thread, Mobil 1 for me for over 20 yrs, so I might be prejudiced.    
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:02:11 AM by 2ksoftail »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 07:31:04 AM »

When the folks at Amsoil put the top selling motorcycle oils through a batch of laboratory tests a few years back, SYN3 came in with an overall ranking of #4 (very good).  If you like buying stuff from the MoCo, there is no reason why you shouldn't use SYN3 in the engine.  As for the other two holes, you would be better off using lubes specifically designed for those and not motor oil.

I personally refuse to buy Harley's synthetic oil, due to all the lies and general BS they fed customers for decades about how synthetic oils weren't approved for a Harley and they would cause all sorts of problems (they didn't).  Then overnight the story changed, on the day they launched their own synthetic oil.  I really don't like people or companies that try to jerk customers around and lie to them.  To each his own.

Jerry

Totally in agreement here.

I use
Crankcase - Amsoil 20W-50
Primary - RedLine V-Twin for Primary Chain
Tranny - RedLine V-Twin for Transmission with Shockproof.

Something else to consider in all of these discussions is "The Oil Filter"
I always look for and use a "5 Micron" Oild Filter.
Generally the MoCo Chrome 5 micron for TC. Easily acquired.

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 08:35:15 AM »

Below is my last UOA from my FLHTK.  I used nothing but Amsoil 20W-50 in it.  Amsoil's a fine oil, but truthfully you'd see similar results from any reputable brand's oil.

The most important thing is to make sure you have enough oil in the crankcase and change it every 5,000 miles.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:36:57 AM by 05train »
The best you've had is the best you know.

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 11:46:17 AM »

My dealer says use SYN3 for the first oil change then use any synthetic oil after that that tickles your fancy. Syn3 they claim is best for breaking in the engine. Don't think I believe that but to be on the safe side I'll do what they suggest for the first service. Then it's AMSOIL for me.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »

My dealer says use SYN3 for the first oil change then use any synthetic oil after that that tickles your fancy. Syn3 they claim is best for breaking in the engine. Don't think I believe that but to be on the safe side I'll do what they suggest for the first service. Then it's AMSOIL for me.

Your BS detector appears to be working, since your dealer is feeding you pure BS.  Fortunately in this case, the BS isn't going to hurt anything (except his credibility). 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.