Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine Replacement on my 2011 CVO Softail  (Read 3357 times)

cliffy

• Junior CVO Member
Engine Replacement on my 2011 CVO Softail
« on: July 18, 2013, 08:14:10 AM »

It's just been confirmed that my 110 engine will be replaced under warranty. It was just over a month out of warranty with 24K on the clock when it suddenly developed a tapping and blowing noise. The local dealer stripped down the engine and established that it was either an oil pump bearing or cam bearing failure. They also noticed that the crankshaft alignment was at the end of its acceptable tolerance (3 thou). Lot's of components in the engine had deep gouge marks on, so a lot of internal damage. It had probably been failing over a period of time.

The good news is that the engine will be replaced free the bad news is that it's taken a month and and half so far (mainly due to dealer staff shortages) and could be another 6 weeks waiting for the delivery of the new engine, which is basically the whole of the UK summer!

ultrarider123

Re: Engine Replacement on my 2011 CVO Softail
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »

That sucks that you are missing the English riding season but the silver lining is you don't have to pay for a new motor even with the bike out of warranty.  Sounds like you have a very good dealer there.  Not good news on the 110, however.  There's a few threads on the forum about what's coming down the pike for HD in 2014 and beyond.  With all the issues they seem to still be having with their current twin cam (of all sizes), maybe they need to keep everything the same for a year and focus more on factory quality control.... :nixweiss:
Keep your chin up, Cliffy.  Repair is a'comin and from what I've been reading, it's been unseasonably warm and dry for y'all across the pond.  Maybe that's a sign your riding season will last longer than normal and you can get some miles on the scooter... :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:24:29 AM by Haird »

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 08:54:12 AM »

Hard luck on missing that illusive British summer but great news on the new motor  :2vrolijk_21:
The sun will be back for a couple of days next year!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:57:55 PM »

Cliffy-
If you want to come across the Pond, I'll let you borrow mine for a ride or two :2vrolijk_21:
Bob

cliffy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 03:02:31 AM »

Cliffy-
If you want to come across the Pond, I'll let you borrow mine for a ride or two :2vrolijk_21:
Bob

Wish I could Bob. I've been in your area for Sturgis for the last two years and absolutely loved it, but alas not this year.

Manhole

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »

Hi Cliffy,
It was nice to meet you Saturday and hope that you get your bike back soon. I have stripped mine now to the cruiser mode and and really enjoying the riding position. Much easier for my short legs to manoevre than the Road King, hope to see you at Bisley for a brewski.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »

Cliffy, do you remember me?  Pork?  I go by the given name of "Murrel".  Anyway, it was nice to meet you 2 years ago.  I did go on to buy the 2012 and you may have read my story of the replacement of my 110 engine.  If you were experiencing what I did, I sure hope you get your new engine put in soon.  I attended Sturgis last year but did not see you there.  Didn't hang around the demos much because they didn't have any 13s but moreso because I hadn't heard of anything that was new that I was more interested in than my Convertible.  This year I will not be attending (6 in a row but guess the streak will be broken) as I only have so much vacation and my wife wants to go to Ireland.  So, guess where we are going?  Ireland! Flying into Ireland in October for about 2 weeks.   Wish you luch in the meantime.   Pork.

cliffy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »

Hi Cliffy,
It was nice to meet you Saturday and hope that you get your bike back soon. I have stripped mine now to the cruiser mode and and really enjoying the riding position. Much easier for my short legs to manoevre than the Road King, hope to see you at Bisley for a brewski.

Hi Manhole, I doubt if I'll get the bike back until the end of August, though I might be lucky. They told me 2 to 6 weeks last week. I'm not sure what I'll be riding at Bisley, probably the yellow streetglide that I was riding on Saturday (on loan from Guildford Harley). I certainly miss my Convertible. 

cliffy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 04:51:15 PM »

Cliffy, do you remember me?  Pork?  I go by the given name of "Murrel".  Anyway, it was nice to meet you 2 years ago.  I did go on to buy the 2012 and you may have read my story of the replacement of my 110 engine.  If you were experiencing what I did, I sure hope you get your new engine put in soon.  I attended Sturgis last year but did not see you there.  Didn't hang around the demos much because they didn't have any 13s but moreso because I hadn't heard of anything that was new that I was more interested in than my Convertible.  This year I will not be attending (6 in a row but guess the streak will be broken) as I only have so much vacation and my wife wants to go to Ireland.  So, guess where we are going?  Ireland! Flying into Ireland in October for about 2 weeks.   Wish you luch in the meantime.   Pork.

Hi Pork, Of course I remember you. I've been at Sturgis for the last 2 years but have decided to give it a miss this year as I've got other rides planned.

As for my bike it started making a strange tapping noise just as I arrived home from a European trip. It was a bit like some small stones in the exhaust. That was at the beginning of June. Since then it's been with the local dealer waiting to be stripped down. Last week someone from Harley came to view it and they have agreed to replace the engine under warranty which is a relief as it was a month and half out of warranty. The real problem is the time its taking. Basically I've lost it for the whole of the UK summer. Very frustrating in a rare UK heatwave. The local dealer has been lending me a bike when I need it (a Yellow Streetglide) but it's not the same as riding my own convertible.

By coincidence I did a tour of Southern Ireland in April on my BMW. It was my first trip to Ireland. A great place to visit and the people were really friendly. If you want any info give me a shout.
Cheers
Cliff

Mrs C

• Junior CVO Member
  • Maxine
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 09:07:32 AM »

Hey pork and Clify!  Just back from my big trip across country to Oregon and back.  Wow!  Missed that steak dinner you offered Pork!  Next time? 
I, also am going to Ireland, next September.  Renting bikes and doing an 11 day tour with Celtic Rider.
Life is like a coin, you can spend it any way you wish...but you can only spend it once!

cliffy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 06:13:20 PM »

I, also am going to Ireland, next September.  Renting bikes and doing an 11 day tour with Celtic Rider.
Hi Mrs C, You'll have a great time in Ireland. The Celtic Rider 11 day tour basically goes all the way round the coast of Northern and Southern Ireland. I toured Southern Ireland in April with a friend and we'll certainly be going back. We just plotted out a rough route and went. Hotels were easy to find. The people were really friendly. By coincidence I was on my own G650GS, which I thought was an ideal bike for the Irish roads, but if you're two up I'd go for one of the bigger options. If you get the chance, whilst in Dublin do the Guinness Brewery tour and don't forget to have a traditional Irish Stew.
Cliff

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 06:45:31 PM »

Mrs. C, yes, I will certainly put on a steak for you and whomever you care to bring.  Knew you were starting your trip but it just didn't happen this time.  Let's plan sometime in the future (next year's riding season) as my wife and I are just about filled out the rest of this year with prison ministry and then our trip to Ireland.  Sometimes you get so many irons In the fire that you don't leave yourself room to turn around without getting your tailfeathers singed...........that is where we are finding ourselves at this time.  Time to  shorten our list and trim down.  Hope you had a nice time and good fortune on the road.   Med rare, medium???  when I bbq, I like rib-eyes!

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.