Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: I'm test riding the Indian Chieftain on Friday - will report back  (Read 12042 times)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
Re: I'm test riding the Indian Chieftain on Friday - will report back
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 09:36:19 AM »

Keep watching for a full blown tourer. My guess it's not far off. The chieftain was to compete with the street glide family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, that's what I compared it to also and I will be keeping an eye out. Already bored with the Duc and missing a more comfy cruiser. Maybe by next year I might be out of the red enough to make a switch without losing my @ss.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 12:58:12 PM »

Am I missing something? I find the Indians to be hideous?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »

thats cause you have good taste.

(now if you had really good taste, you'd be on a roadglide :D)
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »

thats cause you have good taste.

(now if you had really good taste, you'd be on a roadglide :D)

Every heard happy wife happy life? Momma don't like the RG she calls them the grasshopper lol. So guess I won't be getting one any time soon!

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2014, 07:04:53 PM »

Nope not alone... Fully valanced  fenders aren't appealing to me. But, to each his own and perhaps the competition will wake HD up in rergards to build quality??
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014, 07:06:50 PM »

Every heard happy wife happy life? Momma don't like the RG she calls them the grasshopper lol. So guess I won't be getting one any time soon!

My wife hated the amount of wind buffeting and turbulence she felt riding pillion on the RG Ultra we tried a few years ago. so it's a batwing for me  ;D
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2014, 07:17:35 PM »

Nope not alone... Fully valanced  fenders aren't appealing to me. But, to each his own and perhaps the competition will wake HD up in rergards to build quality??

I hope you are right.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 07:29:57 PM »

Im so glad someone else said that... I saw one in person and I thought the same
Alan

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 07:31:32 AM »

My wife hated the amount of wind buffeting and turbulence she felt riding pillion on the RG Ultra we tried a few years ago. so it's a batwing for me  ;D
Same issue here.  I'm hoping the redesigned fairing fixes that.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »

I had an opportunity to ride all three Indian models about a month ago.  Our local HD dealership is a large mega store for HD and the owner also owns the original building that still has Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki.  They also handle quads and PWC's.

One of the conditions of the new owner getting the HD franchise was to have a separate building for HD.  They did that right next door and it's a BIG store now.

The Motorsports group just took on Indian and Indian has a similar requirement; separate showroom etc.  So they built on the front just for the Indian line.

Anyway... I took a Friday afternoon off work and took the test rides.  I road my '09 SERG there for the test rides.  They had a route setup of about 5 or 6 miles.  This was some city street riding, two lane road and freeway.

All three road like a Cadillac.  I say that as they handled the bumps on the city street with cushy ease, but I did notice a bit of floating wandering in the corners.  But my wife would have said that it rode better than our SERG.

I did notice some vibration in mid to high rpm ranges, but at a low speed in high gear it really took off without hesitation and not pings or rattles.  So I think it has more mid torque than my 110".

The shifting was good, but not great.  All three still had the clunk when going from neutral into gear about like my Harley.  The shifting was good with maybe not as much force to shift as my bike.

I rode the Chieftain first with the variable height windshield.  As soon as we got on the somewhat rough city street, the windshield rattled in the inner brackets and was quite annoying.  It did a good job though of cutting down the buffeting at highway speeds.  The power up/down was easy to use and I see that as a nice feature.

The brakes felt good, but the big thing I found was that the running boards were wider and without any issues at all I could get my whole foot on the board, unlike my SERG where the outside of my foot rides off the outer edge.  All the controls seemed to be in the right spots.  They would take a bit to get used to, as mentioned the turn signals on the left side only.

So after all three test rides, between the next group out, I took my SERG over the same route and all things considered, I would not trade my '09 SERG for any of the new Indians.  At highway speeds my '09 SERG is smoother, motor wise and I would say my bike rides more like a street tuned Camaro versus the Cadillac ride of the Indians.  Again, my wife would say the ride of the Indian is better because I'm sure she would like cush versus feel.

I do think they are very nice looking and I do like the retro styling.

If I were new to the market or even had an older Harley twin cam looking to get a new ride, I would consider a new Indian as it would blow away any of the older Harleys in power and ride.  I'm just not sold on them compared to my SERG.

I think the owners writing the reviews have a better long term feel for them, but my trice short rides is not enough to sway me away from HD.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 10:18:44 AM »

Yup.  Had the '11 CVO RGU for a little over a year and 18k miles.  Wife never did like it for those same reasons.  And she doesn't like removing the fairing lowers for the same reasons, wind buffeting and turbulence, and with those on that RG fixed fairing makes the ride HOT during the summer months - in winter it is great however.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »

Dan Lockwood.......

Dan,  Good feedback report on your Indian test ride experience (X3), thank you for taking the time and effort to report back.  I personally do not care much for the look of the Indian compared to the Harley but that is from seeing them in magazines, not in person.  I'd like to see them side by side in person alongside the HD models that most closley represent the same model comparison.  I've owned many Harleys, BMW's and Japanese bikes for the past 50 years and the riding experience on my 2012 SESG is hard to beat, at least for me, I especially like the 110 motor, the ride and handling compared to my older Harley's, the CVO glitz, and the HD electronic cruise control and great fuel mileage, and last but not least the great Brembo ABS brake system compared to the old brakes that would barely stop the bike on the earlier models. I also like the BMW GS1200; it makes for a very good interstate mile eater and rides and handles great.  I will test ride the Indian eventually for a comparison of my own, but after reading your report, I feel like I just did.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:24:30 AM by FLY-DOG »
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

Uncle Fester

• Hostage of the MoCo
  • Junior CVO Member
    • MD

• CVO1: '13 FLHRSE3 "Serafina"
    • CVO2: '11 FLTRUSE "Pazia"
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »

I like the new Indians, personally. Whether you like the styling or not, you have to agree that Polaris captured the classic Indian "look". The bikes have some great vintage styling - in the valenced fenders, leather, styling of the motor cams and cases, etc. I'm not sold on the Chieftain's fairing; it looks less Indian-retro and more Victory-modern to me, but I guess they want lines that are distinct from H-D and it makes sense they'd build off their Victory r&d. I haven't heard anyone say they aren't quality bikes, as well.

I admit I find Indian tempting. Not going to consider one seriously until they've got a couple of MY's under their corporate belt. One, to let them work out the bugs and get some dealer and aftermarket infrastructure built up, and two, to see if this Indian lasts. I know it's got Polaris behind it this time, but so many attempts to revive Indian have failed I half-believe the mark is cursed...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 21 queries.