Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: MoCo gave us 2 types of 110 engines in 2014 - one concidered a new design  (Read 15916 times)

nevadabob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010
Re: Twin cooled Motor
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 02:37:03 PM »

Notice that NOWHERE does any of the literature mention the words "water cooled"...or I can't find any mention of it.  H2O is a dirty word to HD loyalists.
:oops: That is because it isn't, Water doesn't cost 30 dollars a pint like Synwater does!
Nevadabob

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.

"Twin Cooled Graphic"

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Cosmic Charlie

• Full CVO Member

Question ?

Won't the Radiator Lowers now just throw the heat onto yours knees / shins area ?
2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange RG SE 110
D&D Boss Fat Cats with Ghost Pipe
CeeBaileysSuperStepContour14"
TTS Tuner
Ohlin's #3-3
J&M 7 1/4's & 250 amp
Utopia Drivers Back Rest

Nothing Left To Do But Smile Smile Smile

SuperGlideSport

• Junior CVO Member
  • Been there, done that. Time to do it again!

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra

Apparently the new Twin-cooled engines lost the oil cooler. Seems like a bad trade-off to me.

Frank
2015 Dyna Switchback
2023 BMW R1250RT
2015 CVO RG Ultra-Sold
Burgundy Blaze & Typhoon Maroon
2013 Road King-Sold
Anniversary Vintage Bronze & Black
2008 Softail Deluxe-Sold
Copperhead Pearl & Red Hot

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

Question ?

Won't the Radiator Lowers now just throw the heat onto yours knees / shins area ?

From looks and rider reports, the hot air is "blown" out the sides of the lowers, towards the top, and the lowers are a bit wider where it matters most.  Legs are ventilated by an open/close vent inboard of each lower.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.

I predict the 2015 Twin-Cooled HD engine will come with a revolutionary 1 gallon cooling system which includes a new coolant overflow reservoir that will help solve the problem of steam venting from the radiator cap during long periods of slow speed operation.  This announcement will follow a previous announcement of the new Harley Davidson proprietary engine coolant, SynWater, that is required to maintain the bike's warranty.  Included in 2015 as a standard item on CVOs will be the currently optional steam whistle that can be installed to replace the existing electric horn.  :D :D :D

If you are using  the HD "SynWater" you will be required to go to frequent confessions to wipe those "sin's" clean!!  :P
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Apparently the new Twin-cooled engines lost the oil cooler. Seems like a bad trade-off to me.

Frank

Why?  Most of the heat picked up by the oil comes from two places, the heads and the piston cooling jets.  If you drastically reduce the wide swings in temperature of the heads common to the air cooled version, I'm guessing the oil temperature will remain more consistent and be less likely to spike to abnormal levels.  Real world experience will be needed before we can pass judgement, but considering the limited effectiveness of the low mount coolers on the previous CVO's I'm going to predict the oil temps will in fact be more stable with the new system.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SuperGlideSport

• Junior CVO Member
  • Been there, done that. Time to do it again!

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra

Why?  Most of the heat picked up by the oil comes from two places, the heads and the piston cooling jets.  If you drastically reduce the wide swings in temperature of the heads common to the air cooled version, I'm guessing the oil temperature will remain more consistent and be less likely to spike to abnormal levels.  Real world experience will be needed before we can pass judgement, but considering the limited effectiveness of the low mount coolers on the previous CVO's I'm going to predict the oil temps will in fact be more stable with the new system.

Jerry

I guess we'll see. There's not much coolant volume to the new system and it's only removing some heat from the exhaust valve area. Seems to me they could have incorporated a system with more cooling capability, added capacity and included an oil / water intercooler but alas the bean counters still rule the roost.
2015 Dyna Switchback
2023 BMW R1250RT
2015 CVO RG Ultra-Sold
Burgundy Blaze & Typhoon Maroon
2013 Road King-Sold
Anniversary Vintage Bronze & Black
2008 Softail Deluxe-Sold
Copperhead Pearl & Red Hot

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2

Seems like a "band-aid" solution to an ongoing problem that H-D has known about for some time.  I pity the poor fool that lets them (H-D) sucker them into buying into this screwed up fix.   Come on moco, get your head out of your a$$ and really do something innovative about this and show us some real engineering technology.   :soapbox:
Jesus is Lord

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

Jerry

I agree, Jerry.  The proof will be in the pudding, of course, but the oil cooler was pretty much useless sitting in traffic.  And not a hell of lot better when moving, particularly when it's getting 110 degree air across it right off the blacktop. The biggest complaint most have with heat was because of the exhaust port/pipe just inboard of your right inner thigh...cooling that off should prove beneficial, IMO.  IF the system is trouble free, I see no down side to it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG

I agree, Jerry.  The proof will be in the pudding, of course, but the oil cooler was pretty much useless sitting in traffic.  And not a hell of lot better when moving, particularly when it's getting 110 degree air across it right off the blacktop. The biggest complaint most have with heat was because of the exhaust port/pipe just inboard of your right inner thigh...cooling that off should prove beneficial, IMO.    the system is trouble free, I see no down side to it.
I agree Terry IF

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK

Frank

Agreed

I am also curious how HD prevents any warping or distortion of the Cylinder heads with "Only One Side" being Liquid Cooled?????????????

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: MoCo gave us 2 types of 110 engines in 2014 - one concidered a new design
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 10:15:07 PM »

Agreed

I am also curious how HD prevents any warping or distortion of the Cylinder heads with "Only One Side" being Liquid Cooled?????????????

The hottest part of the motor is the exhaust, the intake side is cooled somewhat by the incoming air/fuel
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

CVOjh

• CVO1: FLHTKSE 14
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2013, 08:24:38 AM »

I am also interested by the answers to the OP question. Will the new CVO stand up to HD claims: more torque and HP and why?

Thanks to the great forum writers that will help us find out.  :)

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »

Question ?

My experience has shown that the twin cooling does not add a lot of heat to my lower legs.  The vents do a great job of letting in air.  Or, at least I can't feel the excess heat over the dang CAT!  :'(.  The stock pipes gotta' go soon!

I rode back from CO across NM and TX.  It was between 95 and 100 all the way.  Stopping in traffic was a bummer, to be sure.  The fans kick in and blow the radiator heat away, though.   I think I had more heat from the heated seat.  Apparently HD engineers though that a toggle switch was better as LO, OFF, HI as opposed to OFF, LOW HI -Rode the whole way back with the A$$ warmer on LO  - DOH!  :oops:

When I picked up the bike, I let my brother ride it part way home.  (The only other person who will ever ride my bike).  He has Fat Boy and he definitely noticed the extra heat on the right side coming from the pipes.

AFAIK, the twin cooling was not designed as a heat management solution per se, but a way to further tweak the torque.  What I mean is they weren't necessarily trying to solve a heat problem, but introducing a new feature that allows better performance.  I guess by managing the temps in the exaust ports, MoCO can get a little better torque - not sure of the specifics there.  I imagine there will be after market oil cooling solutions that take up residence somewhere besides where the HOH pump is.

BTW if anyone is wondering, all the cool scientists write H2O as HOH.   :drink:

Regards,

M

SFC, USA (RET)

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.