Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steering wobble under 10mph slow tuns  (Read 2882 times)

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
steering wobble under 10mph slow tuns
« on: August 22, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »

while on road trip had steering wobble in frt end while manuvering in parking lots. had service done b4 I left, but thinking they didn't chek steering head bearing. may be frt wheel bearing also. was told that loading tourpak & adding tbag was problem, too much weight. unloaded gear, still have some issue ,not as bad.move tbag to pass seat also.  thought it could be tire, sinceI now have 19k on frt. I guess I'll start with new tire & whell bearing while tire is off &have steering head cheked. Anyone else have suggestions. Yes suspension is still stock.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

ultrarider123

Re: steering wobble under 10mph slow tuns
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »

I noticed it more at 25-35 slowing down for a stop or riding at those speeds with the rack loaded and passenger.  I DID exceed the 30lb weight limit on my new expandable rack, however...by a few pounds... ;D
Don't have it when just me or me and Vickie on the bike at any speed.  Checked bearing/grease prior to leaving and everything as it should be.  I was expecting a bit of wobble with the luggage and passenger as I've had it before on non CVO Ultra's on the last frame.

Don't have it on any of the slow speeds you are mentioning, Ray...loaded or not.... :nixweiss:  May be something to take back to the dealer before spending the money on a new tire/wheel bearing...just a suggestion.

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:05:23 AM »

I had a belt in a tire separate and did the same thing. May want to check it just in case. It was a Michelin. Found it in the mountains after a couple of tight arse days.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »

This is an interesting post because I had this occur on occasion when traveling to Sante Fe.  I would notice that when I would be turning or maneuvering in a parking lot at speeds below 10 mph, I would get a slight wobble but twisting on the throttle would pull me out of it.  I talked to my mechanic when I had it in for it's 10K and he stated that if it was bearings in the steering than you would get this death wobble on deceleration at 25 to 20 mph.  He said my tires weren't cupped on the front but that he had seen other riders that experienced this problem eliminate it when they put on a new front tire.  Anyone that had ever complained to him of this problem had over 10K on their front tire.  Another reason why I hate Dunlop tires!  I do believe this is a tire issue.   :-X
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »

Same here. Wobble at low speed. Worse on decal. Took it to the dealer and they said fall off was within spec. Well they tightened up the bearing and it went away, loaded or unloaded. All I had to do was take the bike home and reinstall the radio. The screws holding it in were not in correctly. Had to retap one. Nothing like repairing a repair!
RETIRED! :fireman:

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »

I had the same thing on my FLTRUSE in parking lot slow speeds worse when surface bumpy took it to dealer they accepted something didn't seem right but wanted me to pay for front end tear down and be without my bike for 2 weeks they would cover under warranty if they found a problem but would be at my cost if they didn't .. knowing the quality of techs they have I could just see them pulling it apart not finding a problem that a competent tech would find and charging me for the whole job and giving me back the bike in the same condition . This was at 5000 miles they also said I should replace the tires at that point. I did another 15000 miles like that before replacing the tires @ 21000 2 new tires and problem is still there . The way I describe the wobble it feels as if the triple trees are loose or the forks are flexing or twisting and flicking back in the opposite direction . Feels weird at slow speeds loaded with a passenger but I have also noticed an unstable twitching sensation on fast sweeping bends unloaded I have tried all different air pressures in the shocks with no change...Would be nice to find an actual cause for this before I lay it down.

This is not the decel wobble I have experienced that and had the steering head bearings checked (by the same techs at my dealer) and they fixed it ???

here is the original post I started for this still no resolution @ 25000 miles
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=65401.msg914602#msg914602
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:39:26 PM by kiwihog »
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:56:07 PM »

I had the same thing on my FLTRUSE in parking lot slow speeds worse when surface bumpy took it to dealer they accepted something didn't seem right but wanted me to pay for front end tear down and be without my bike for 2 weeks they would cover under warranty if they found a problem but would be at my cost if they didn't .. knowing the quality of techs they have I could just see them pulling it apart not finding a problem that a competent tech would find and charging me for the whole job and giving me back the bike in the same condition . This was at 5000 miles they also said I should replace the tires at that point. I did another 15000 miles like that before replacing the tires @ 21000 2 new tires and problem is still there . The way I describe the wobble it feels as if the triple trees are loose or the forks are flexing or twisting and flicking back in the opposite direction . Feels weird at slow speeds loaded with a passenger but I have also noticed an unstable twitching sensation on fast sweeping bends unloaded I have tried all different air pressures in the shocks with no change...Would be nice to find an actual cause for this before I lay it down.

This is not the decel wobble I have experienced that and had the steering head bearings checked (by the same techs at my dealer) and they fixed it ???

here is the original post I started for this still no resolution @ 25000 miles
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=65401.msg914602#msg914602

Just making sure I understood the story...

Your bike is under warranty.
The dealer acknowledges there is a problem.
The suspicion is the neck bearings/front end, but the dealer is only willing to investigate if you are willing to pay for the "service" if it turns out to not be the neck bearings.
In other words - even though the problem is acknowledged - according to your dealer your warranty will only pay for the repair if they guess right.  And if they guess wrong, it's on you.

I'd call the MOCO and get your problem on record.  And I'd find a more reputable dealer and start over with getting your problem resolved.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Tuneso

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 12:39:26 AM »

I had the same problem after loading up my tour pak and placing my T-bag on top.  I too moved my bag to the passenger seat and the wobble decreased. I then made a few turns on my shocks and the problem went away.

Less weight over the rear wheel helped

Good luck

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 07:59:22 AM »

Just making sure I understood the story...
Your bike is under warranty.
The dealer acknowledges there is a problem.
The suspicion is the neck bearings/front end, but the dealer is only willing to investigate if you are willing to pay for the "service" if it turns out to not be the neck bearings.
In other words - even though the problem is acknowledged - according to your dealer your warranty will only pay for the repair if they guess right.  And if they guess wrong, it's on you.
I'd call the MOCO and get your problem on record.  And I'd find a more reputable dealer and start over with getting your problem resolved.
That is a big X2

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »

Mine is no longer under warranty although it was when I took it to the dealer I tried the other dealer in town about a month before wty expired and they would not even look at it until I replaced both tires and that was after I explained it had this problem for the past 15k miles long before the tires needed to be replaced.. I really think this will be my last HD.. Customer service sucks in my town and closest other dealer is too far for me to get home without a lot of favors being called in.
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »

I had the same problem after loading up my tour pak and placing my T-bag on top.  I too moved my bag to the passenger seat and the wobble decreased. I then made a few turns on my shocks and the problem went away.

Less weight over the rear wheel helped

Good luck

I've had the same issue when I was fully-loaded (probably over-loaded) with gear and passenger.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.