Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 rear drive pulley issues  (Read 4208 times)

badboytino

2008 rear drive pulley issues
« on: August 23, 2013, 11:41:32 PM »

Not sure if this topic has been brought up, but today I went in to get the bearing replaced in the rear drive pulley, figured since i had it off and had just replaced all wheel bearings i'd do this one too, i was informed that if you don't replace the rubber cushions at least every other tire change that this pulley bearing can go bad and wallow out the pulley. News to me, anyone else have this issue? I heard its only on the 08 touring models with the cushion pulley.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2008 rear drive pulley issues
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »

Not sure if this topic has been brought up, but today I went in to get the bearing replaced in the rear drive pulley, figured since i had it off and had just replaced all wheel bearings i'd do this one too, i was informed that if you don't replace the rubber cushions at least every other tire change that this pulley bearing can go bad and wallow out the pulley. News to me, anyone else have this issue? I heard its only on the 08 touring models with the cushion pulley.

The IDS rubber biscuits can be inspected and tested for wear and deterioration just like any other "rubber" part.  There actually is a spec for the amount of free play in the system listed in the manual btw.  As for just replacing them on a regular preventative maintenance regimen, it seems like a pretty good idea to me.  However I have no way of knowing at what mileage you might need to do that.  Did you check the official Harley maintenance schedule to see if they recommend inspecting and changing them at a particular mileage?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

badboytino

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 02:35:52 AM »

As far as a regular interval, I was told it was every tire change but, you can get away with doing it every other tire change. Its not bad at $30 bucks a pop, just seems like another "nickle and dime" thing that the MOCO sticks ya with. The little tits were worn on the ones i replaced.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:21:45 AM »

As far as a regular interval, I was told it was every tire change but, you can get away with doing it every other tire change. Its not bad at $30 bucks a pop, just seems like another "nickle and dime" thing that the MOCO sticks ya with. The little tits were worn on the ones i replaced.

I'm not sure, is there four in the hub or more?  Or is it just one piece with a bunch of holes for the lugs?  Either way, is the $30 to do the complete IDS?

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 11:48:44 PM »

I have 45,000 on my 08 RK and still have original IDS with no issues. I do have a new set on standby just in case they need to be replaced.

badboytino

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »

I'm not sure, is there four in the hub or more?  Or is it just one piece with a bunch of holes for the lugs?  Either way, is the $30 to do the complete IDS?

Thanks.

Dan, there are 6 rubber isolaters, they are individual pieces and yes, $30 is for a complete set.

JoeSDE

• Full CVO Member
    • DE

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 09:30:42 PM »

The rubber isolator on my 2010 FLHTK is a one piece unit, I believe. Had it out a few weeks ago when I changed wheels.         JoeS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 09:50:45 PM »

The rubber isolator on my 2010 FLHTK is a one piece unit, I believe. Had it out a few weeks ago when I changed wheels.         JoeS

The IDS was new in production for 2008 and it used six separate rubber isolators.  Harley offered a retrofit kit in the catalog to install the same kit on the 2007 models.  In 2009 they changed the design to include part of the system in the wheel casting (eliminated a separate part that bolted to the wheel on the 2007/2008), and the rubber isolator became a one piece unit.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ohio HD

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:33:21 PM »

I also bought a complete set of new cushions, they're still on the shelf, bike has 45,000+ miles, they're still holding the pulley tight.
2009 Ultra Classic ~ Bone Stock 96 inches
2008 Street Glide ~ Bone Stock 117 inches

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.