Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: S&S T111 Motor  (Read 21173 times)

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
S&S T111 Motor
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:47:39 AM »

Has anyone replaced their SE 110 with the S&S 111?  I'm interested in what your thoughts are.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: S&S T111 Motor
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »

Not familiar with the motor you listed but I did have an S&S 124" crate motor with the 66mm Throttle Hog installed last spring.  I have about 5K miles on it now.  There is some info on this site with a GMR install with the DYNO sheets.  Mine sheet is almost identical.  Not a kick ass motor but a good touring platform, runs so much cooler than the 110 I can't believe it's an air cooled motor.  If you need additional info let me know.

Ray G.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »

Thanks, I'm moving forward with the 111, but I now it's very similar to the 124, just a shorter stroke, so that's good to know.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »

Not familiar with the motor you listed but I did have an S&S 124" crate motor with the 66mm Throttle Hog installed last spring.  I have about 5K miles on it now.  There is some info on this site with a GMR install with the DYNO sheets.  Mine sheet is almost identical.  Not a kick ass motor but a good touring platform, runs so much cooler than the 110 I can't believe it's an air cooled motor.  If you need additional info let me know.

Ray G.
Where can I find info on the S&S 124" crate motor for 2007 & up twin cams?  On their website I can only see information for up to model year 2006.   :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:29:51 PM »

Jerry, are you thinking about it for Jester??  That would be pretty cool!  :)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:19:58 PM »

Just planning ahead for the next failure, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »

Just planning ahead for the next failure, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be funny if it wasn't so true!
If you want peace, prepare for war.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:00:49 AM »

You will find more info on the S&S motors on the Star Racing web site.  Tel # 1-800-841-7827.  They sell the same motor along with the B2 heads and other high performance products.  I hope that helps. 

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 12:56:30 PM »

You will save money by going through a S&S dealer in your area. The engines are the same thing as the early version only at this point made with SE cases. Or you may get the new S&S case for the engine. Front mount fine spline crank had to change.  I keep reading how its a star racing deal that is so far from correct its not funny. The engine is 100% S&S now a month ago it would have had HD cases now that they make there own its all S&S.

The 111 is another great engine and runs very well we have done many of those as well hp falls in to the 110 range tq is 120. Super smooth easy going engine. Cost on the 111 is in the 5300 range on the 124 you are looking at approx 6000. Local dealer may give better price or not cannot help you with that. Here is some info on the new S&S case
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »

Steve,

I agree 100% on purchasing the motor from your S&S local dealer.  I was only suggesting looking at the Star Racing website for information on the crate motors.  I was following some old post the other day on another site and there was quite a bit of confusion on oil pumps, cams, heads and other items that were included on one motor vs another.  In no way was I suggesting going to a shop other than an S&S authorized dealer.  I'm going through warranty issues on my 124 crate at the moment.  It was one of your post with the attached DYNO and some info from Dewey that helped me decide on a 124" vs a 117" rebuild.  I have no regrets on going with the 124 but I miss the low RPM kick ass my 110 had.  The 124 seems like it could cruise @ 100 mph for hours on end.     

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 06:39:19 PM »

I have S&S V111 motor for 18 months with close to 30,000 miles with no problems at all. Made lots of 800 mile trips and one 3000 mile trip cruising the Smokey mtns ..Mine is Carb. Runs, Starts easily. Hauls Ass!Love it
Ltank

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »

Would different cams on the 124 give it a bit more grunt on the low end?  I would assume that you could order the 124 with whatever cams you want in it from the factory?  It also looks like the engine colors on the S&S motors don't match the Harley colors, meaning new clutch and tranny too?  Maybe that's recommended anyway with that big of a motor?

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »

The answer is yes there is a cam available that will give it more grunt at low RPM's, but I don't know if they will have it installed while maintaining the warranty.  I don't have my paperwork in front of me but I believe they come with a 640 but the 625 and maybe a small bump in compression would give it some real low end performance.  I would talk with some vendors on this site that have installed the S&S version you want.  Who knows maybe you will find a vendor that has a little pull at S&S for a cam change while maintaining the one year warranty.  My 08 was all granite & the new 124 is black.  It's not really a big deal as there are many options such as chrome packages to cover some areas.  I installed a chrome inner primary so that covered one side for color matching.  I think Steve from GMR posted that removing the tranny and having it powder coated black was not a big deal.  If I need some tranny work in the future I will consider having the Baker oil pan and & the tranny match the motor.  My choice was easy I wanted a non OEM motor so I didn't have to worry about crank run out, lifters etc.  I was in a position where I had to do something.  I would look at the S&S web site to locate a dealer near you or pick one you like if you are having it installed and go from there.  I think you are going to see a lot more S&S motors find there way into HD chassis in the near future.  I have said it before but the difference in heat is absolutely amazing, and that may mean a longer life.         

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »

Thanks Ray,  I'm in the same situation here, need a new motor, and want to go S&S, but nothing seems to match up without addional mods.  I was hoping to just drop the 124 in and go, but concerned about matching colors up and other component failures like the tranny and clutch.

It's a short riding season here in WI, so was hing to get going on this soon.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 02:11:50 PM »

Would it help you if I sent you some photos?   When it stops raining I plan to wash the bike as it got nasty the last time I was out.  After that I can take some specific shots if you think they will help.  The black motor won't even matter on the left side if you put the chrome inner primary or the HD chrome inner chrome bolt on cover.  The starter is black so that looks OK, it's only where the tranny bolts on to the block and the oil pan (right side).  Your pan will not show as much as mine because of the shape of the Baker +1 oil pan.  I saw a bike with some chrome covers that would just about cover the whole area.  You may have to look through the parts catalog for the chrome pieces required.   I was concerned at first but the pluses out weighed the minuses, but you have to do what is right for you.  Once I'm moving I only care about the quiet powerful motor. 

I ride two up quite a bit and had a interesting ride the other day.  I was turning off of a mountain road onto a 50 MPH road when a BMW1200GS prevented me from passing.  He was all leathered up toe to toe and was tucked in and fighting for every ounce of power when my wife & I went by him.  Having a Road King I didn't dare look down at my speedometer, but we were going about as fast as I ever had.  I didn't intend to go that fast I just got caught up in the moment.  Wife just said are we good for the day now! The BMW owner just shook his head in disbelief.  He was probably use to walking by older Harleys.  It would be like driving a new high performance Mustang when an older VW pulls out to pass while you are helpless to do a thing but watch.   Don't have many good day's but that was one of them!     
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.