Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Brake Pad Suggestions  (Read 7974 times)

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
Brake Pad Suggestions
« on: August 22, 2004, 07:34:34 PM »

It appears that after my "out west" trip, which included a substantial amount of spirited riding in the mountains, that I need to replace my front and rear brake pads. Are there aftermarket pads that work as well or better than the HD pads? Are there any warranty issues to be concerned with should I change to aftermarket pads? Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions :)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Brake Pad Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 08:12:08 AM »

Don't know of any warranty issues with using some pads other than HD.  I just put EBC kevalar pads on the rear of my SEEG have about 1000 miles on them they seem good so far.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 11:34:07 PM »

Just got around 1900 miles on my new orange SEEGlide. Noticed real quick a huge amount of brake dust from the rear brake pads. The dealer says that normal. I know that the orange color will show it more but seems a $30k bike shouldn't be plagued with this kind of problem. Anyone else with brake dust problems and what solutions?
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 08:33:43 AM »

Have the same problem, I think some of it is dirt and road film but the ass of the bike is always dirty.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 07:11:16 PM »

The dust on the rear of the bike is Brake Dust. It is very abrasive, it will not wash off with water & soap. You need a product like Eagle 1 A to Z to safely dislodge the dust from the pores of the tire & wheel (note: watch the brown rust run out of the tire the first time you clean it correctly). After removing the dust correctly, replace your pads with DP918's and visible dust is gone. But continue to use A to Z every wash on tires, wheels, brake rotor and caliper. You will be amazed the ease involved and how clean your tires are.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 08:34:57 PM »

The following is only anecdotal so don't take it as Gospel by any means.  Only offer it as someone else's insight.  Buddy with a Road King added filler strips and then swore that he started seeing "incredibly more" brake dust littering up the various components on the back of the bike.  He was convinced that some new turbulence pattern (or lack of) was accounting for it.  He removed the filler strips after about 4000 miles and was convinced his brake dust problem was alleviated back to "normal" levels.

Don

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 11:09:40 PM »

OK not sure but what about organic pads opposed to metallic?  What type is standard equipment?
Just a thought!
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 08:27:58 AM »

Twolanerider you are probably right about the filler strips never had this problem on amy Road King.  DW6019 who makes DP918 brake pads?

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 09:41:28 PM »

DP brakes are made by DP. The part number for all three HD Dresser pads is the same, DP918. I switched my Road King over a few years ago mainly to cut down on the black dust on my wide whites. But they stop so much better and last so much longer that I would never use anything else. First two sets of HD pads on the rear I got 6-7K before replacement (on rear) First set of DP's went 14K and still had pad left. Worked just as well on the front with polished rotors. Distributed thru Drag Specialities, I bought mine thru HD dealer on 20% day and they were approx $32.00/set. I have a Red SE on order, already have new DP pads for it on the shelf. Also no squeaks, they have ceramic backing, very quite.

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 07:24:39 AM »

Lyndal Racing Brakes   No dust at all, no noise, no need to burnish in pads, and stop much better than stock or EBC kevlar pads.
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 08:09:27 AM »

Thanks for the info on the DP pads and the Lyndal racings pads,  like the EBC's but always on the lookout for better equipment.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2004, 06:04:04 PM »

At first I was skeptical about the dusting on the rear being from the brake pads, but not any more.  Today I washed the rear of the bike including the rear wheel, rotor etc.  Then I did a 250k ride of both city & highway riding.  During the ride I never once touched the rear brake.  When I got back home the rear of the bike had no more dust buildup than the rest of the bike.  Normally when I get home the rear is covered with thick dust.  I will be changing the pads shortly.
Darrell

vtrod

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2004, 07:23:59 PM »

After reading about the DP brake pads and the brake dust problem, I was convinced that I needed to convert. However, in checking the DP web site, I found the opinion that the pads to have on the front are the SDP918HH. They are suppose to be softer and much more responsive. DP918 for the rear. Can anyone confirm that?

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2004, 05:20:31 PM »

DW6019, do you get any squealing from the DP pads?  I am asking because I just got back from the dealer who presented me with a number of options for pads.  He pulled some products & we looked at the composition of the different pads.  The DP pads are almost all metal so I wouldn't expect any dusting, but he pointed out that they are hard on the rotors and he has had several riders change to another pad after trying the DP's because of squealing.
Darrell

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004, 08:13:34 PM »

For what it's worth; the manufacturer's website touts the DP pads as being easy on rotors.  Though I'm sure they'll also bring you breakfast in bed and powder your bottom as well.  Anyone with practical experience using them have a comment on how they treat brake rotors?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 21 queries.