Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: A Black Eye for Bikers  (Read 20774 times)

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
A Black Eye for Bikers
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »

These hooligans need to be shot. This sort of flash mob behavior needs to be dealt with swiftly and severely.

Link to the story:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/pack-motorcyclists-chase-man-suv-attack-upper-manhattan-street-fender-bender-west-side-highway-article-1.1471585

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
Re: A Black Eye for Bikers
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »

Agreed. Really sucks to see chit like that.
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:05:44 PM »

I noticed that this isn't your typical Harley 1%'er crowd.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:58:04 PM »

you can see it starts with the one guy brake checking the range rover.  dude quickly learned bike vs car, car wins.....

this is just plain stupid chit.  the article says that some of the plates couldn't be read, but you can clearly see some of them.  go after the ones that you can read, even if the person wasn't one of the ones that beat the guy, they were complicit in it.

hope the driver comes out of this okay.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »

Do you wonder why some people fear motorcycle riders? Idiots like these bumpkins make it hard on all of us. Identify & arrest......NOW!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:20:13 PM »

Just watched this chit on the news. Bunch of freking THUGS, dude trying to protect his family the way I see it. Don't think I could have handeled all of them, but the first fifteen would have had a bad day. :rifle:

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »

I read earlier that driver of the car "forced" his way into the group of motorcycles as they were not moving as fast as he wanted to go, Later he did hit one who brake checked him, but "first" reports were he started it with agressive driving. I am sure more to come.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:47:37 PM »

Although the media has already decided the bikers are guilty & convicted, did anybody notice the driver ran over a bike & then bikes & several bikers?  Does hit & run mean it's ok to hit & run?  If you are out riding with your friends and a car clips a bike or runs over several bkes & your biker buds, you would blow kisses at the driver as he speeds away?

Not excusing the biker with the helmet breaking the window or any of the biker violence at all.  Very likely there is an event that has taken place before this video that would better explain the behaviors of the driver as well as the bikers.  

The driver is doing his best in the worst way to leave the scene of an accdent.with kids in the car - sure you are going to protect them.  The bikers are behaving badly.  The media, which generally hates bikes & bikers gven the chance, has determined guilt.  More to this story than is told in the articles, no doubt.  I choose to reserve judgement.  

Worth noting that if these bikers had been really bad ass & not caring about any consequences, it would be a murder investigation instead.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:55:16 PM »

Them guys were lucky he didn't have his ccp.  Helmet won't stop a bullet. 

Todd.
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 09:43:28 PM »

where's the police?  In Detroit were used to no cops showing up, but in new york!  very odd  :nixweiss:

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 11:23:09 PM »

watched the video a couple times. those are not bikers just thugs riding motorcycles.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 05:40:41 AM »

Very Sad Story !!! all the way around no matter how you look at it.
DND

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 07:32:05 AM »

I wish the SUV driver had a gun...
Bill

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 08:44:33 AM »

This is why there is a second amendment.  Oh, wait, this is NYC where the second amendment does not apply and is considered a mistake.  No right to protect yourself.

I don't blame the guy myself.  100's of bikers harassing you and now way out.  I would have started ramming them to get them out of my way.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »

Seems to me, reading the whole story the SUV driver started the confrontation.  Print articles seem to point to the driver being aggressive and up set bikes were going to slow, forced his way into them.  Then hit one that brake checked him.

TV reports seem to start with the bikes chasing the innocent SUV driver down.

Like usual the media is not telling the whole story but rather making it sell better.

Not excusing the thugs on the bikes.  They were wrong also.  Very wrong.

However I wish the whole story was reported on tv, SUV driver road rage started it then idiot thugs escalated it.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

cvoDoug

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2004 CVO Electra Glide
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »

HHHHMMMMM, had to to think about this and try to be subjective.  We all know that when we ride there's the occasional butthole that is in a hurry and needs to break into a group.  I've experienced it and I'm sure many of others have too.  Now with that being said, we ride open vehicles.  No cage and all the metal is between our legs.  Right or wrong, I guarantee that without a hundred buddies around that idiot wouldn't have break checked a 3 ton vehicle.  Just stupid.  I ride alone or with a few buds for the most part.  When we encounter idiots in cages that do stupid sh*t we just let em' on by.  If we see them at a stop then we may confront them.  But taking action on a public road with bike vs. car/truck scenario is never going to work and usually never in the bike favor.  Whether the guy in the car did some chit to provoke the actions of the guys on the bikes or not.  When they all joined in it became a mob action and that is where it's a chicken chit act.  Get the guys tags, follow while someone calls the cops.  It doesn't really matter who's at fault, now it's perception.     

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Animals like this give the rest a bad rep..........
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »

Since the video is public I hope that the bikers who did the follow up attack get charged.

The initial incident was minor, can't say I blame the guy for what followed after they attacked him.
And if you have ever been in the Tri-State area with angry hoard of sport bikers you know why this guy tried to take off.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/pack-motorcyclists-chase-man-suv-attack-upper-manhattan-street-fender-bender-west-side-highway-article-1.1471585

Surprised it doesn't happen more often.
I have seen groups of 50-100 flying down the Garden State Parkway well in excess of the normal traffic speed of 75 mph
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »

Them guys were lucky he didn't have his ccp.  Helmet won't stop a bullet. 

Todd.

Not an issue in NYC or NY for that matter.

Living in this area and having seen plenty of these sport bike groups, I don't blame the driver one bit, especially with a 2 year old in the car.

These groups ride like asswipes and use the gang mentality on the road. They intimidate and ride recklessly. If you ever get to see 50-100 of them using all 5 lanes on the Garden State Parkway you would know what I mean.

It is quite obvious that early on in the video that the group is "circling the wagon" and boxing the SUV in. When they followed him off the exit it really became a different story.
If you are stupid enough brake check a truck on a bike, well then.

The really sad part is that for over 6 minutes there is no NYPD intervention.

What really surprises was one of the knuckleheads made the video public, that should really help the DA get an assault charge against several of them.

MV 2013

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »

Hard to tell what started the (metric) road rage much less the "group think", probably (something like) a close call on a lane change, after that, the taunting began and the camera went on. The injury resulted when the rider slowed way down and faked a stop. The Rover bumped him, he went down and the driveover busted his legs. Match+fuse+testosterone=BOOM.

My group is older, we wouldn't have reacted that way, but I have to admit, thirty years ago.............we might have done something equally as stupid, if not worse. The driver probably deserved a major ass chewing and a "corrective interview" about watching for motorcycles. The whuppin' they gave him is going to result in some time in County.  There is a lesson here, but I have to agree, under the circumstances, "restraint" might be hard for any of us to find at that moment.

Unfortunately, several of us that carry might have shot "helmet guy".  No winners here, and as the post suggests, a "Black Eye" for all of us.  This is very insightful stuff, raises many issues, good job guys.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »

Stuff like this is exactly why I don't watch the news anymore, too depressing.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 01:01:10 PM »

I just went back and read the news story again. Someone is naming names in the comment section. May or may not be actual participants, could be someone with a grudge placing blame. Either way it seems there is enough photographic evidence to round up many of the perps. I never found any reference in any news outlet that indicate the driver started anything. When he ran over the bikes early in the video and mid way through he was trying to get his family out of harms way, can't fault him for that. Haven't heard of anything as bad as this happening in Atlanta, yet, but the gangs are here and they screw up traffic occasionally. Saw them once on I-20 blocking all lanes then tearing out doing 90 mph wheelies.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »

We have a Stand your ground law here, plenty of targets in that group.  What a bunch of idiots and to film it as well.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 02:17:36 PM »

I woudn't consider this a 'black eye' for bikers.  This is a isolated case of a group of punks in New York.  Those Range Rovers are tough, it would have easily trampled over a couple of dozen bikes!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 02:41:06 PM »

Hey RIO, I think you are right that among "motorcycle enthusiasts" it may not be a "Black Eye" but for every non-rider watching the news, we are at fault even when we are not. We are ALL considered "1%ers", and no amount of good deeds will go unpunished (in their opinion).

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »

watched the video a couple times. those are not bikers just thugs riding motorcycles.

Totally agree. Animals on two wheels. Some MadMax bullchit.

Sad thing is though, even if the driver of the SUV had jumped through all the hoops to legally own a handgun in NYC. I'm sure that Rover would be riddled with holes, had he pulled it out for self-defense, from all the illegally possessed firearms on the majority of those bikes.

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »

Never thought of that, but you're right.

OWL

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »

the worst hurt of the so-called bikers is fairly local to me 

A Lawrence man is recovering in a New York hospital after being struck Sunday by a Land Rover in New York City during a wild confrontation between the Land Rover driver and dozens of motorcyclists.

Motorcyclist Edwin Mieses Jr. sustained at least two broken legs during the incident, which has drawn national attention after dramatic video of it was posted on the Internet.

like most have said we dont have all of the facts and likely never will.

that said i do believe this group was looking to shut-down a highway and turn it into their own personal playground. i saw many gopro helmet mounts as well as BSR's with cameras and ipads.

they also blocked a white van that was able to get away without incident.

According to The New York Times, Commissioner Kelly said the bikers were apparently part of loosely organized group of motorcyclists who planned to drive into the heart of the city as they had done last year, effectively paralyzing Times Square. Kelly said his department was on alert this year and stopped bikers throughout the city before they could grow into a large throng.f

the swarm was already agitated....
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »

"Motorcyclist Edwin Mieses Jr. sustained at least two broken legs during the incident"

I knew whey were animals, now its confirmed!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »

It's telling that as the bikers took various off ramps while following the SUV that not a single bike is visible in the video choosing NOT to take the off ramp, divorcing themselves from this rapidly deteriorating situation.  All chose to follow the pack.  You'd like to think there was at least one rider thinking it was a bad choice to continue involvement.  

Also notice the red light being blown thru once in the city environment, putting other innocent folks in jeopardy.  There is no excuse for such action, regardless of what events preceded the chase.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 01:41:43 AM »

It's telling that as the bikers took various off ramps while following the SUV that not a single bike is visible in the video choosing NOT to take the off ramp, divorcing themselves from this rapidly deteriorating situation.  All chose to follow the pack.  You'd like to think there was at least one rider thinking it was a bad choice to continue involvement. 

Also notice the red light being blown thru once in the city environment, putting other innocent folks in jeopardy.  There is no excuse for such action, regardless of what events preceded the chase.

Amen to that.  All those folks need to grow up and learn to act like civilized adults.  They think they're Mad Max, when they're really Beavis and Butthead.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 05:24:20 AM »

That one rider slows down right in front of the SUV.  What do you think was going to happen?  Of course he was going to get hit.  One of those thug riders is paralyzed for life with a broken back in 2 places.   Obviously he didn't care about his own well being or he would have stayed out of the way.  Do you really think a bike has a shot against a car or an SUV?  I feel bad for the driver of the SUV and his family. Totally uncalled for no matter what,,   Maybe the next group of nitwit riders will think back about the few here that have broken bones or will never walk again. Just sayin'... >:(
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:38:09 PM by cvostu »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 07:56:44 AM »

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/01/man-paralyzed-and-in-a-coma-amid-debate-over-who-was-really-at-fault-in-viral-road-rage-incident-between-suv-driver-and-bikers-poll/

This is a story that gives a point of view somewhat from the point of view of the injured biker.  The comments below are a snapshot of the attitude of some of the public toward bikers pro & con.

mark

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 09:23:20 AM »

Those were not motorcyclists, those were thugs that happened to own motorcycles.  Some comments above seem to imply the Range Rover's driver was at fault.  Did they see the same video I did?  Nice family, driving expensive car, 2 yr old child in the car, that becomes surrounded by aggressive assholes on bikes.  I'm sure out of fear the driver didn't stop and continued on. I would have too.  Once they started trying to break into the car, it would have been Glock 'em time.  I guess the below somehow evened things out:

"Motorcyclist Edwin Mieses Jr. sustained at least two broken legs during the incident, which has drawn national attention after dramatic video of it was posted on the Internet."

One other thing..."sustained at least two broken legs..."  How many legs did Mieses have?

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 09:33:15 AM »

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2e2_1380707420

Watch the second video; it really speaks volumes about the "law-abiding" innocent character of Edwin Mieses, the injured gang member currently paralyzed and in a coma.

Interestingly, he appears to have been riding on a suspended license from a DUI arrest in May and never obtained a motorcycle license. Awesome.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:44:19 AM by Wild Card »

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 12:06:49 PM »

Only good thing I can think of to say about Mieses is that he can ride a wheelie! What total disrespect for traffic laws and those around him though. Another clip on liveleak shows the gang prior to the encounter with the SUV just out for a "peaceful" cruise, weaving in and out of traffic, lane splitting, riding the corm, the fog line and on the sidewalk. Those guys are complete fools! Wonder what would happen if they ran up on a group of true 1%'rs!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 01:03:15 PM »

Good, now I have a better understanding of this type of situation.  If I see a large group of bikes breaking the law & I feel intimidated, especially if my young grandkids are in my vehicle, I can run over them & their bikes to get away from them.  That is good to know.

So if some driver somewhere sees a big group of loud CVO's riding recklessly & feels intimidated by them, then they are justified when they run over one or more of the bikes & the riders to escape.  Seems to be the prevailing opinion here.  That is comforting to know that running a biker over is ok depending on the situation.  Thanks for the education!   :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 01:26:03 PM »

Good, now I have a better understanding of this type of situation.  If I see a large group of bikes breaking the law & I feel intimidated, especially if my young grandkids are in my vehicle, I can run over them & their bikes to get away from them.  That is good to know.

So if some driver somewhere sees a big group of loud CVO's riding recklessly & feels intimidated by them, then they are justified when they run over one or more of the bikes & the riders to escape.  Seems to be the prevailing opinion here.  That is comforting to know that running a biker over is ok depending on the situation.  Thanks for the education!   :2vrolijk_21:

There's a difference between a group riding recklessly and feeling intimidated by that environment (from which you can likely just slow down and disengage -- because if they are "riding" recklessly they just keep on going) and being surrounded by and directly aggressed against by a horde.

If the latter I don't care if they're on foot, on tricycles or on Suzukis.  That grandkid you pose as example isn't more important to you than any one of the group that is your perceived threatening mob?  If you think the threat is real you get the hell out if you can.  "Kill them all and let God sort it out" may not be PC; but the sentiment has a place.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »

In time it will be a court with a judge and maybe a jury to decide which actions are legal or justifiable. Everything is being decided in the "court of public opinion" now and none of us are getting the whole facts. In reality whether you use a knife, gun or motor vehicle all can be considered deadly force and anyone would have to be able to justify deadly force to avoid jail or civil penalties. The SUV driver would have to prove he was in fear of his life or the life of his family to legally defend his actions, if that was the case then he would be cleared of wrongdoing and his leaving the scene of an accident or using force to protect him and his family would be justified.
This whole situation is a collection of acts that spiraled downward and if the participants had chosen different actions it could have been less severe and we may never know the whole story.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 01:41:18 PM »

In time it will be a court with a judge and maybe a jury to decide which actions are legal or justifiable. Everything is being decided in the "court of public opinion" now and none of us are getting the whole facts. In reality whether you use a knife, gun or motor vehicle all can be considered deadly force and anyone would have to be able to justify deadly force to avoid jail or civil penalties. The SUV driver would have to prove he was in fear of his life or the life of his family to legally defend his actions, if that was the case then he would be cleared of wrongdoing and his leaving the scene of an accident or using force to protect him and his family would be justified.
This whole situation is a collection of acts that spiraled downward and if the participants had chosen different actions it could have been less severe and we may never know the whole story.

Very reasonable, factual, & no problem whatsoever with anything you have written here.  My above post was intended to be a take on the present state of the court of public opinion, fed by media reportage that in general can be said to not be favorable towards bikers.   That opinion has decidedly already formed, based on opinion and what appears to be circumstance yet cannot be certain as to what all occurred & when.

Both sides behaved badly from what has been presented so far, as least in my humble opinion.  Bad behaviors do not justify other or further bad behaviors is my basis for that comment.

So encouraging bad behaviors, based on the bad behaviors of others just does not appear to be a wise choice, especially when as bikers we may be on the receiving end of said behavior at some point in time, whether intentionally or unintentionally.  That remains my point, and I do not expect agreement or understanding since I realize opinions once formed are not likely to be changed by some words in a thread on a message board.  Appreciate your comment though, I tend to agree.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:05:05 PM by iski »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 01:55:28 PM »

There's a difference between a group riding recklessly and feeling intimidated by that environment (from which you can likely just slow down and disengage -- because if they are "riding" recklessly they just keep on going) and being surrounded by and directly aggressed against by a horde.

If the latter I don't care if they're on foot, on tricycles or on Suzukis.  That grandkid you pose as example isn't more important to you than any one of the group that is your perceived threatening mob?  If you think the threat is real you get the hell out if you can.  "Kill them all and let God sort it out" may not be PC; but the sentiment has a place.

Well certainly I would take whatever action I found necessary to protect my family & in fact would do the same for my friends.  Some of these friends at times act about the same as my young grandchild, but I digress. 

As to options of the driver of an SUV surrounded by an angry horde of crazed bike riders - one has several options.  One is to call 911 & wait.  Another is to attempt to find an escape route that does not physically harm anyone or any property. Another option is to floor it & run the hell over anything & everything that is in the way. Another is to get out of the SUV & try to reason (not advisable), and yet another is to attempt to defend oneself in an event that is required.  Still another is to get pulled out of the SUV & have the living hell beat out of you. 

VaEagle outlines some interesting likely future events that may sort this out, but in all likelihood there will be truth, lies, not the truth, almost the truth but not quite, and sheer fantasy - with a slice of each for any who wish to partake.  Such is life in our court systems.

Killing them all & letting God sort them out in this case is a little bit extreme, but then again the world could be a better place for it.  Am hopeful when on my future rides that some cager fellow does not fear for his life when he sees a horde of Harleys on their way to some local eating establishment or purveyor of frosty beverages and decide to take a few of us out.  Probably will not happen, considering.

cvoDoug

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »

Yep, just some good law abiding guys.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3cd_1380579664

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »

Only good thing I can think of to say about Mieses is that he can ride a wheelie! What total disrespect for traffic laws and those around him though. Another clip on liveleak shows the gang prior to the encounter with the SUV just out for a "peaceful" cruise, weaving in and out of traffic, lane splitting, riding the corm, the fog line and on the sidewalk. Those guys are complete fools! Wonder what would happen if they ran up on a group of true 1%'rs!
I can tell you but I won't incriminate myself. And lets not give  these rice rocket fools the moniker of "bikers" because they're not even close.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »

Well certainly I would take whatever action I found necessary to protect my family & in fact would do the same for my friends.  Some of these friends at times act about the same as my young grandchild, but I digress. 

As to options of the driver of an SUV surrounded by an angry horde of crazed bike riders - one has several options.  One is to call 911 & wait.  Another is to attempt to find an escape route that does not physically harm anyone or any property. Another option is to floor it & run the hell over anything & everything that is in the way. Another is to get out of the SUV & try to reason (not advisable), and yet another is to attempt to defend oneself in an event that is required.  Still another is to get pulled out of the SUV & have the living hell beat out of you. 

VaEagle outlines some interesting likely future events that may sort this out, but in all likelihood there will be truth, lies, not the truth, almost the truth but not quite, and sheer fantasy - with a slice of each for any who wish to partake.  Such is life in our court systems.

Killing them all & letting God sort them out in this case is a little bit extreme, but then again the world could be a better place for it.  Am hopeful when on my future rides that some cager fellow does not fear for his life when he sees a horde of Harleys on their way to some local eating establishment or purveyor of frosty beverages and decide to take a few of us out.  Probably will not happen, considering.

There is a HUGE difference between seeing a horde of bikers on the road and having a horde of bikers slashing at your tires. He felt threatened for the safety of his family and had to make a split second decision. He did not have time like you to sit at your keyboard and decipher all the possible scenarios. The only "sheer fantasy" here is how you simplify this and make it sound like it was really not a big deal. If I had a group of people....any group....bikers, cagers, any large group all trying to slash my tires and endanger my family then you know I would have done the same. And that group of bikers are fortunate that guy was not carrying because it could have been a lot worse for a lot of people.

Someone breaks into my house, I am taking them out. By the time you call 911 and the police arrive you and your family are already dead. Sometimes you have to react in the moment and that means being willing and able to do serious damage. I would not go sit at my computer and ponder all the possible scenarios
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2013, 03:21:56 PM »

There is a HUGE difference between seeing a horde of bikers on the road and having a horde of bikers slashing at your tires. He felt threatened for the safety of his family and had to make a split second decision. He did not have time like you to sit at your keyboard and decipher all the possible scenarios. The only "sheer fantasy" here is how you simplify this and make it sound like it was really not a big deal. If I had a group of people....any group....bikers, cagers, any large group all trying to slash my tires and endanger my family then you know I would have done the same. And that group of bikers are fortunate that guy was not carrying because it could have been a lot worse for a lot of people.

Someone breaks into my house, I am taking them out. By the time you call 911 and the police arrive you and your family are already dead. Sometimes you have to react in the moment and that means being willing and able to do serious damage. I would not go sit at my computer and ponder all the possible scenarios

No idea what you are referring to, since you are also sitting at a keyboard & deciphering things as you see them, creating your own scenarios as you go.  I do not choose to excuse bad behaviors. The bikers in the video rode like idiots. The driver ran over one.  Others see this differently.  Fine by me.

I have had a CCP for some time & as needed would never hesitate to use force to defend those who are near & dear to me.  Or any other method I would choose to employ for said defense. 

As to what started this or what led to this altercation and whether or not it excused any driver or other activity that followed - the facts are not there.  Opinions are.  You have one that differs from mine.  Enjoy it.  I do not appreciate your insults however well intentioned they may have been and suggest you apply these to your own set of thoughts instead of to those of others.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2013, 05:16:41 PM »

I can tell you but I won't incriminate myself. And lets not give  these rice rocket fools the moniker of "bikers" because they're not even close.

They would of course disagree with us John.  But they'd be full of chit.  We know what our view of bikers are.  We want road and to be (mostly) left alone to use it.  If a few of us get together then it's a whole different affair.  Then we want road and to be (mostly) left alone to use it and to also find a place to eat. 

It's unfortunate the guy that fought the car lost.  Civil court will later work out if he's due anything for his willingness to try and be a bumper brake.  Without knowing what preceded all this mayhem we're all just bums in the bleacher seats if we try to sort out overall fault. 

The only question that is obvious within the term and scenario we can see is does the cage leave his family within reach of an attacking mob.  Whether that mob is made up of bikers or rabid PCP enraged kindergartners the answer is the same; get your woman and kid out of there.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »

It really wouldn't matter what kind of bike they were riding if I felt thoroughly threatened and in fear of my life or the safety of my family, I would drive over top of whatever was in front of me to escape the situation.  Wouldn't matter to me if it was a bunch of crotch rockets, harley davidsons or hoveround scooters.  I can't say what happened as I wasn't there but somebody obviously missed physics class the day they taught what happens when a smaller object gets in the way of a larger object.
Jesus is Lord

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2013, 04:27:40 AM »

Well I have almost the exact same Range Rover. But mine has 510 HP under the hood.  Without a moment of hesitation I would have run everyone of their asses over if I was in the car with my wife and kids and was attacked like that. 

Those monkeys are not bikers they are nothing more than a bunch of thugs.  Bet half the bikes are stolen, uninsured, or driven by someone not even licensed.  What a bunch of idiots...just watch the videos of what the "idiots" filmed themselves!  Brilliant!!

By the way who's sons do they look like?

SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2013, 07:23:17 AM »

So far one in jail and I hope many more to come..
Bill

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2013, 08:11:44 AM »

So far one in jail and I hope many more to come..
Me too.
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2013, 07:54:59 AM »

Look at this? For anyone wanting to help out this poor guy? WTF :-\ at least most of the comments show what this guy was all about multiple charges and no drivers license.  

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-For-Jay-Meezee/411664345601619

SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2013, 10:10:59 AM »

And thanks to Live Leak we get to see all the videos that were prior to wild wild west showdown - before they were pulled from youtube

MV 2013

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »

There is obviously more to this story than we see in the video. At this point it seems the most important
part of the story is what happened BEFORE the video started. Who started this incident????? Also who is
ultimately responsible for what happened??
It looks to me from the video like there was over reaction on both sides of this incident but at this point
we really don't know what caused it.

ual767plt

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Animals like this give the rest a bad rep..........
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2013, 12:09:07 PM »

Since the video is public I hope that the bikers who did the follow up attack get charged.

The initial incident was minor, can't say I blame the guy for what followed after they attacked him.
And if you have ever been in the Tri-State area with angry hoard of sport bikers you know why this guy tried to take off.

Surprised it doesn't happen more often.
I have seen groups of 50-100 flying down the Garden State Parkway well in excess of the normal traffic speed of 75 mph

Due to my airline job, I've had several layovers in NYC in the last couple of months.  This is not an isolated incident with this group of 'bikers', and have been mentioned in the news on more than one occasion. 
'20 FLHTKSE

cvoDoug

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2013, 01:26:26 PM »

Every time I watch this I'm more incensed.  The cops probably couldn't get to these guys because they were clogging up the traffic to create their own 4 lane playground.

tysndys

• Full CVO Member
    • UT

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 (sold)
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2013, 03:03:52 PM »

One science lesson we should all remember, right of weight wins over right of way.
Tires just don't last long enough

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CUSE8
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »

HHHHMMMMM, had to to think about this and try to be subjective.  We all know that when we ride there's the occasional butthole that is in a hurry and needs to break into a group.  I've experienced it and I'm sure many of others have too.  Now with that being said, we ride open vehicles.  No cage and all the metal is between our legs.  Right or wrong, I guarantee that without a hundred buddies around that idiot wouldn't have break checked a 3 ton vehicle.  Just stupid.  I ride alone or with a few buds for the most part.  When we encounter idiots in cages that do stupid sh*t we just let em' on by.  If we see them at a stop then we may confront them.  But taking action on a public road with bike vs. car/truck scenario is never going to work and usually never in the bike favor.  Whether the guy in the car did some chit to provoke the actions of the guys on the bikes or not.  When they all joined in it became a mob action and that is where it's a chicken chit act.  Get the guys tags, follow while someone calls the cops.  It doesn't really matter who's at fault, now it's perception.     

+1

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2013, 09:34:40 AM »

And the story gets better, NYPD cops and corrections officers among the riders.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9274018

NEW YORK (WABC) -- Eyewitness News has learned that among the bikers on the Henry Hudson last weekend, were five off-duty NYPD officers.

Sources say at least two detectives witnessed the attack on Alexian Lien and did not directly intervene. And investigators are still working to determine what role, if any, was played by the other three officers.

What is clear, sources say, is that the men did not begin to come forward until late Wednesday, four full-days after the incident.

And detectives are also investigating reports that several others in the group may have been off-duty New York City correction officers.

An undercover detective has informed Internal Affairs that he was present at the time of the confrontation.

The undercover narcotics detective, himself a motorcycle rider, was off duty. Official sources say he did not get involved because he did not want to blow his cover. Internal Affairs is now investigating. The undercover detective is being advised by an attorney.

Also Friday night, 38-year-old Reginald Chance of Brooklyn turned himself in to police and is in custody. Detectives believe he used his silver helmet to smash the driver's side window of the victim's SUV. However, his role in the actual assault of the driver is unclear.

Early Saturday, police released photos of another suspect they want to speak to about his possible involvement in the incident.

Earlier Friday, the biker who allegedly opened the SUV's door at one point during the chase was taken into custody.

35-year-old Robert Sims, who grabbed the SUV's door at 5:05 seconds into the YouTube video, surrendered to police in Brooklyn.

Detectives are also looking at about a half dozen other bikers who may have had a role in the assault of the driver. Some have already been interviewed by investigators after being identified by video and photographs that have been coming in. Investigators are interviewing as many motorcyclists as possible to determine their roles before filing charges.

"This is a complex investigation with a lot of people involved," a source said.

Dayana Mejia cried during a press conference in New York City. Mejia says her partner and a biker left paralyzed in the confrontation, 32-year-old Edwin Mieses Jr., is an adoring father to the couple's two children.

"I love him so much it tears me up that anyone could think that Edwin in any way deserves what happened to him," she said.

Mejia says the people who participated in the motorcycle ride are "not thugs."

Gloria Allred, Mieses' attorney, says he was trying to "calm people down" when the SUV hit him on Sunday.

Video shows the SUV surrounded by dozens of helmeted riders. The driver, Alexian Lien, drove through the crowd and struck Mieses.

Investigators have searched the home of another Brooklyn motorcyclist, believed to have been the one who tried to open the driver's side door of the SUV while it was on the Henry Hudson Parkway. No arrests were made.

Also, police want to speak with two bystanders about what happened, and they have released images of the witnesses.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE PHOTOS.

Everything started when the Range Rover bumped a biker on the Henry Hudson Parkway. As motorcyclists gathered around Lien's vehicle, he took off, running over Edwin Mieses and sparking the chase and vicious assault that followed.

CLICK HERE TO SEE NEW PHOTOS OF THE SUV

Bikers insist that Lien was the aggressor.

"He drove erratically and bumped the bike on the side," one biker said. "When he bumped that bike on the side, that bike became aggressive because his life was in danger."

Meises' family, which is calling for charges against Lien, is expected to respond to a statement from Lien's wife.

Rosalyn Ng explained why her husband fled the scene and inadvertently drove over Mieses, saying their lives were put in grave danger.

"We were faced with a life-threatening situation, and my husband was forced under the circumstances to take the actions that he did in order to protect the lives of our entire family," Ng said.

She said her family's sympathies went out to Mieses, who broke both legs and suffered spinal injuries that may leave him paralyzed, but said there was no other option than to flee.

"Our fear for our lives was confirmed when the incident ended with the ruthless and brutal attack on my husband, me, and, most importantly, our 2-year-old child," Ng said. "We know in our hearts that we could not have done anything differently, and we believe that anyone faced with this sort of grave danger would have taken the same course of action in order to protect their family."

CLICK HERE for the full text of the statement

The biker involved in the initial accident, Christopher Cruz, is charged with reckless driving and unlawful imprisonment. Prosecutors served notice that they intend to take the case against Cruz to a grand jury, a sign that more serious charges are likely.

A second suspect, Allen Edwards, 42, of Jamaica, Queens, surrendered to police at the 33rd Precinct Tuesday night. It is believed he is the man who punched the rear window of the SUV with his fists at the end of the video.

He was held and questioned overnight Tuesday, and police initially said he would be charged with reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and menacing. But the office declined to prosecute at this time, pending further investigation of the entire incident.

Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:37:06 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2013, 11:05:06 AM »

Before all is said and done Gloria Allred will make it look like the SUV was driven by a motorcycle hating madman with a grudge from a prior incident in his childhood.  She will claim he attacked the group of fun loving sport riders with an urban assault vehicle weighing many times the vehicles he attacked.  She will file both criminal and civil lawsuits and bankrupt the guy with legal fees, after which she will settle out of court for whatever funds his auto and homeowner's policy can come up with.  Along the way she will have multiple press conferences providing her with free air time to promote herself.  The rest of the pack will file suit against the city for the lack of intervention by the (off duty or under cover) police.  The principals in the pack will be awarded a multimillion dollar (out of court) settlement and several movie offers and Hollywood offers as stunt riders. The guy with the broken back will be honored by the city and the AMA, he will be on the cover of "American Rider" in a specially equipped trike for the handicapped.  Lien's wife will divorce him, he will be fired from his job, eventually he will kill himself after succumbing to alcohol and drug abuse.  Sound about right brothers?
OWL

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »

Before all is said and done Gloria Allred will make it look like the SUV was driven by a motorcycle hating madman with a grudge from a prior incident in his childhood.  She will claim he attacked the group of fun loving sport riders with an urban assault vehicle weighing many times the vehicles he attacked.  She will file both criminal and civil lawsuits and bankrupt the guy with legal fees, after which she will settle out of court for whatever funds his auto and homeowner's policy can come up with.  Along the way she will have multiple press conferences providing her with free air time to promote herself.  The rest of the pack will file suit against the city for the lack of intervention by the (off duty or under cover) police.  The principals in the pack will be awarded a multimillion dollar (out of court) settlement and several movie offers and Hollywood offers as stunt riders. The guy with the broken back will be honored by the city and the AMA, he will be on the cover of "American Rider" in a specially equipped trike for the handicapped.  Lien's wife will divorce him, he will be fired from his job, eventually he will kill himself after succumbing to alcohol and drug abuse.  Sound about right brothers?
OWL

You nailed it OWL! Can't believe that attention whore, Allred is getting involved in this. Don't know what to think about the UC officers, that's a tough call. Seems to me they could have attempted to de-fuse the situation without compromising their identity but it all could have been some crazy initiation stunt, who knows?

Yzernie

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE that had the engine blow up twice.
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2013, 11:47:40 AM »

I have attended charity rides where there are thousands of motorcycles and I have never seen the group(s) using every lane of traffic, holding up other traffic and riding like jackasses. 
"The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it" - Unknown

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »

Watching the plethora of videos these asswipes post it makes you wonder why, at the first hint something is up, just block the bridges.
You have to go under or over water to get in or out of Manhattan.

Seems half the bikes in these videos don't have license plates, impounding them would eliminate half the problem.

MV 2013

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »

Watching the plethora of videos these asswipes post it makes you wonder why, at the first hint something is up, just block the bridges.
You have to go under or over water to get in or out of Manhattan.

Seems half the bikes in these videos don't have license plates, impounding them would eliminate half the problem.

It's like so many other things these days; we have laws that prohibit certain activities, but no one enforces them.  Therefore the scofflaws become emboldened and push the envelope even more, and then even more, until we wind up with anarchy.  I see it everywhere.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »

I have followed this story closely, since I was very "conflicted" with sequence of events.

1. I hate to see anyone seriously injured because of a stupid judgments,  bur hey is that not why Trayvon Martin is dead?

2. I believe that this group was looking to block the roadway for their own personal use and the one bike brake checked the SUV and he bumped the blocker which started the whole sequence.

3. bikers do take it personally when they get encroached upon and lose their since of objectivity ( I certainly have when I fell threaten by an inattentive cager).

4. the cager had the right to feel threaten when surrounded by that many mad bikers, and looking from the outside, I may have done the same thing.

5. the bikers swarmed like rabid dogs to try to enforce justice in their own minds or protect a brother. They did quite the opposite and indirectly caused all of the injuries.

biker doesn't brake check cager........no issue...........no one hurt

cager doesn't bump bike after brake check.....no issue ......maybe...... no one hurt anyway

bikers do not surround cager and try to execute instant justice..............no issue....... no one hurt

bikers do not chase down cager a second time (now they are really mad,after cager runs down 2 bikers) and chase him down to a stop only to make him run over another bike.

bikers then smash windows and drag him out the car and inflict a beating after being caught in traffic.

I certainly do not want to condone the running over bikers, but I thought they were lucky he did not get more of them.

could have cleaned out another 3-4 by jamming on brakes while they gated him in the back.
could have run sideways once they pulled up on him.

a lot still coming out of it............
bikes not registered
stolen plates
no drivers licenses
no insurance

this has the ability to have effects upon all of us.

Looking at it from my perspective, not sure what would happened if I was in the SUV.
maybe I recognize what is going on and nothing happens as I hang back?
maybe I bump biker that brake checked me.....probably not
but if I got surrounded with my wife and young daughter in the car and felt endangered
I guarantee that I would have gotten quite a few more of them splattered on the roadway

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2013, 08:58:13 PM »

Since the SUV folks are apparently above poverty level, odds are they are familiar with some basic needs in life.
Since the animals on the bikes are running in a pack and acting like morons the way they are, odds are they never heard of Maslow.

MV 2013

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2013, 09:22:20 PM »

Since the SUV folks are apparently above poverty level, odds are they are familiar with some basic needs in life.
Since the animals on the bikes are running in a pack and acting like morons the way they are, odds are they never heard of Maslow.
I would tend to agree!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »

i also noticed that they were mostly crotch rockets...

historically Harley's get the bad rap - here goes putting everything on its head - the jap bike guys are the gang this time & instead of going to hollister they are in new york. ...

truth is stranger than fiction...... you just could not make this stuff up.....

morons..

to

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2013, 10:27:49 PM »

Did someone told that the car driver should have called the cops?

Why call them when they are the ones chasing you?  Read this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2445011/5-duty-NYPD-officers-bikers-involved-Edwin-Mieses-Jr-SUV-attack.html

Then if the bikers were doing all that to protect themselves, could someone explain to me why they smashed his wife's window ??

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2013, 03:16:29 PM »

Very disturbing that PO's and CO's were even riding in that group. Knowing that many of the vehicles are not registered or capable of being street-legal and participating in organized mayhem on the roads. But when NYPD hires class E felons I guess this is what you get from some of them. Bad for bikers, bad for law enforcement. Now it's not just the evil bikers, which all are now perceived by the public that way through the media, it's also outlaw officers, which again is now thought of as majority.
These groups of riders are why selective traffic enforcement is instituted. But LE heads shouldn't decide that on Labor Day weekend we'll setup a checkpoint or Memorial Day or whenever. It's on a day like this when hundreds of 911 calls are dispatched about the reckless driving, in this case of sportbikes and ATV's, this is when STEP programs should be initiated. Shut down the bridges, lockdown the tunnels. Funnel all of them into several checkpoints. Arrest individuals with suspended licenses, cite those riding out of class, impound uninsured and unregistered vehicles, and when an off-duty is found to be fraternizing with convicted felons (which I guarantee there were several out of the hundreds) report them to their superiors and have them dealt with administratively. I'd be willing to bet that if these actions were taken those bikers wouldn't try and have an annual takeover of Times Square. They'd also be riding more civilized in smaller packs. But my thoughts are meaningless...time to step off  :soapbox:

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2013, 05:50:08 PM »

I live in NY and I see this kind of chit alot these fools ride like this all the time. In my mind it doesent matter who was right or wrong that should have never happened. NYPD should always pull them over check papers and all that stuff  make it hard for them to ride in or around the city.

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »

I live in NY and I see this kind of chit alot these fools ride like this all the time. In my mind it doesent matter who was right or wrong that should have never happened. NYPD should always pull them over check papers and all that stuff  make it hard for them to ride in or around the city.

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

That would be profiling :confused5:  Be careful of what you wish for.  I know I don't want to be pulled over 4nothing  ;)

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CUSE8
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2013, 12:19:16 AM »

This whole situation is a no-win and the more details that come out, the worse it gets.  No lasting lessons will be learned.  More generalizations about bikers because of the actions a few dumb asses.  The only upside here is that the driver of the SUV didn't decide to "get away" by using 6,500+ of persuasion.  That would have taken things to an entirely different level.  Off duty NYPD in the riding group, really???

The whole thing is a damn shame.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2013, 12:37:23 AM »

The fact that there may have been a few NYPD officers in the group shouldn't reflect against the whole department anymore than this group of riders representing all of us that ride. One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch and I myself will continue to support out LE officers on the whole as being honorable.  I'm sure that the Police department will investigate and take appropriate action as they deem necessary.  The integrity of the NYPD has been called into question many times throughout history by the actions of a very small number of officers that have tarnished the department's reputation but overall, the citizens of New York are fortunate to have one of the finest police departments in America.  Let's continue to support them.
Jesus is Lord

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
NEw York bikers and SUV
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »

I was in New York and seen the bikers riding up the hwy. further on up the hwy this beating took place. I was shocked how they were riding through the traffic. Over the islands dividing the hwy and around the islands going up the wrong way and doing wheelies through the traffic, I told my wife this looked like a disaster waiting to happen. I have heard multiple stories of what started the chase and the assault. The worst part of it, it affects all bikers.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/11/us/bikers-attack-video/

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: NEw York bikers and SUV
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »

You might want to contact the NYPD and tell them what you saw.  Though you did not see the altercation, you might have very relevant information.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 21 queries.