Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 2014 Infotainment GPS route planning  (Read 19976 times)

Dutch Eagle

Re: 2014 Infotainment GPS route planning
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »

From what I am hearing I might as well plan on mounting my 665 Garmin and just rely on it and use the GPS in the infortainment for a conversation piece. My Garmin has lifetime updates....
That is exactly what I did. For as long as it 's needed.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 04:38:27 PM »

Just help a friend install his 665 to his new FLHTK. He has 47 favorite routes he loves to ride but like many others found that he could not load those routes into the new system because of the number of waypoints.  :-\    Of course he can not hear the turn prompts because of the lack of an Auxiliary Input  :o so he is going to just keep an eye on the 665.

I then stuck my foot in my mouth by telling him I would look into a way to add an Auxiliary Input to the new radio. :oops:

I have to learn to keep my mouth shut. :nervous:

Jim@hdbomm.com
Ride It Like You Are Retired

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 05:04:37 PM »

Just help a friend install his 665 to his new FLHTK. He has 47 favorite routes he loves to ride but like many others found that he could not load those routes into the new system because of the number of waypoints.  :-\    Of course he can not hear the turn prompts because of the lack of an Auxiliary Input  :o so he is going to just keep an eye on the 665.

I then stuck my foot in my mouth by telling him I would look into a way to add an Auxiliary Input to the new radio. :oops:

I have to learn to keep my mouth shut. :nervous:

Jim@hdbomm.com
Jim, couldn't you plug it in to the USB plug.  Would not that play through the system.  There are auxiliary inputs...according to the
info on HD site for infotainment under owners (section).  Just wondering........... :confused5:

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 06:00:04 PM »

Was thinking that but that input is digital and the GPS output is analog. So I am working on an analog to digital converter. A bit more complicated then originally thought, need power supply and a plug n play configuration. Then there is the problem of what if the user wants to use the USB for another device.

Big problem is my buddy won't leave his bike with me and without the bike researching possible configurations is a little on the hard side. Thinking of using this problem as a reason to weasel my way out. :pineapple:

Not going to buy a 14 until they solve a few issues and get the bugs worked out. Big issue now is with the clutch not disengaging, popping on the radio, GPS washout in direct sun. I don't feel like being part of Harley's R & D team.
Ride It Like You Are Retired

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 06:21:32 PM »

There are USB to headphone jack type adapters off the shelf that would make the physical connection.  The times I've used such adapters, however, the PC they attached to always loaded some simple little driver.  Simple little driver for the PC that is.  Would have to assume the radio has no facility to auto-recognize such a device or add a driver on the fly. 

The new radio looks cool.  On it's face.  So do whiney bratty irrational ten year olds that also aren't yet mature among their peers.

WildClyde

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »

There are USB to headphone jack type adapters off the shelf that would make the physical connection.  The times I've used such adapters, however, the PC they attached to always loaded some simple little driver.  Simple little driver for the PC that is.  Would have to assume the radio has no facility to auto-recognize such a device or add a driver on the fly.

Analog in to USB is problematic with the Harley HK radio because it is expecting to use the USB Mass Storage Media Transfer Protocol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol) to display a playlist and allow the user to select a song to play - think iPod/MP3 Player/iPhone/Android phone/etc. A device like this -http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-USB-2-0-Audio-Capture-Cassette-Player-DVD-via-3-5mm-audio-RCA-output-To/508008399.html would only work if the radio software supported it.

Could we influence HK to add driver support for analog USB input/output devices to the Harley Infotainment Radios? A petition? Anyone?

Clyde
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:47:18 AM by WildClyde »

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2015, 03:37:04 PM »

Has Harley fixed the problem with only being able to load 9 way points?
 :nixweiss:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2015, 06:17:46 PM »

Yep!

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »

Yep!

FL,
Since you were kind enough to answer my guestion, what program do you use to generate a trip route and download to the bike?

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2015, 08:05:26 PM »

Since I have a Mac, I use BaseCamp.  Not that I like it or endorse it, its just what I use.  As I use it more, it is getting better and easier but still not a great mapping program.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 21 queries.