Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windshield Wizardry  (Read 7363 times)

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
Windshield Wizardry
« on: October 07, 2013, 08:05:30 AM »

Like many of you, I tried and tried and could never get the OEM Windsplitter to work for me.  I'm about 6'3", and found things got pretty bad at 50 mph or above with it.  I was lucky enough to find a 20" detachable off of a 2005 RK locally to use as a starting point for hopefully finding the right shield height and design for me. 

First off, just putting the 20" RK shield on the bike was a god-send!  Could not believe the difference it made (although many of you had already indicated as such previously).  I took a 20 min. ride, and that was the first time that I enjoyed everything about it.  I could hear the music without blasting it, there was no buffeting (granted, I only got it up to 55), and very little wind noise in my ears.  Of course, I wanted to stay on the thing for another hour, but barely had the time for the quick 20 min. hop.

Rewinding a little bit, I had previously talked to James at Long Ride Shields and also checked out their sizing video.  According to LRS, the top of the shield should fall between your nose and your chin - preferably between your nose and mouth.  The 20" HD RK shield sits just under my nose while sitting on the OEM SERK seat.  So, I think I've got my starting point to work from - although if I end up with a Mustang touring seat for 2-up riding, this might throw the shield height off again.

The challenge now is trying to find the best windshield for me in the first shot.  I really don't want to order from 3 different vendors and return 2 of them (if that's even possible).  It sounds like shields that have some recurve at the top are more effective, but obviously I have no experience whatsoever on this.  So, this is where I need your help - and anyone with specific experience doing this on a 2013 SERK would be appreciated.  I know that height could be a factor in what experience you had, but I'm hoping whatever responses I get from you guys will help me make a decision.

It looks like these would be the options to consider (probably more if you guys respond with some I'm not aware of):
1. Long Ride Shields - their version of the 20" with the recurve; I would probably go with a medium tint
2. Clearview Shields - admittedly I haven't looked at any of their products yet
3. Freedom Shields - same thing, haven't checked them out yet
4. Klockwerk Shields - are we seeing a pattern here?

So the only one I've check out so far has been Long Ride.  James was very helpful to talk to, and actually recommended me to get or borrow a standard shield before trying to determine what the final shield would be.  I'll try to check out the other vendors' sites in the next few days.  I've got plenty of time, as the bike will going in for its long winter's nap shortly.  Once I choose the final shield, I'm hoping that I can wait until they offer a non-peak season discount.   ;)

Thanks in advance for any responses/help on this,

Tru

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Re: Windshield Wizardry
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 05:30:48 PM »

Tru, I am 5'9" I just installed Klock Werks  shield on my 14 SERK  It is about even with my nose Makes the bike 10 times better than the wind splitter. Seems like Harley spent all morning designing that shied.          Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 12:11:37 AM »

Hey Tru I have the 20 inch LRS in medium tint and it is awesome. I am only 5 foot 10 inches so the 20 inch shield would be too tall for me with the stock seat but I have changed to a Harley touring heated seat and that makes it the perfect height. If you decide to go with the LRS you will not be disappointed. Here are a couple of pictures showing the shield and seat.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 12:13:57 AM »

LRS shield and taller seat.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 12:21:32 AM »

I also forgot to mention that the recurve definitely works. I have to stand on the floorboards and raise up a considerable amount before my head enters the windstream. When the girlfriend is on the back of the bike she is below the windstream andcan hear the music good also. Heck I can even hear her talk to me without even turning my head.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:50:38 AM »

Hey Tru I have the 20 inch LRS in medium tint and it is awesome. I am only 5 foot 10 inches so the 20 inch shield would be too tall for me with the stock seat but I have changed to a Harley touring heated seat and that makes it the perfect height. If you decide to go with the LRS you will not be disappointed. Here are a couple of pictures showing the shield and seat.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      What seat did you get from HD ,I am thinking about the Hammock. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:31:44 AM »

I like the tint and definitely the look much better than the one that comes with it.

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 12:57:53 PM »

Thanks T-Roy, I was leaning towards the LRS, but still haven't checked out the others yet.  I'm not going to do anything immediately, as there's little time for riding left for me up here in Michigan (I'm not a hard-core tourer (yet) so my riding limit is 50 degrees).  However, if some type of off-season discount appears for the vendor I want to go with, I certainly want to be ready to pull the trigger if opportunity knocks. 

It looks like the tallest shield LRS has is the 20", and I'm hoping that it will be enough for the stock seat and potentially a Mustang Touring saddle down the road.  I need to call James and talk to him about my sizing results with a stock 20" RK shield that's on the bike now.

You may or may not have read in a previous post I made in one of the other threads - you and FXD have done many of the things that I was thinking about doing with mine, so imitation is the best form of flattery.  I'm glad to see that it's worked out for you guys to help me move forward on mine.  I just pulled the trigger on getting the Phase 7 headlight and passing lamps, and waiting for my order of the Custom Aux Lighting Kit to come in next week from Tri-County HD.  Last thing to get is the Dynamic Ringz and Deep Dish Bullet Signal bezels from Custom Dynamics and my front lighting mods will be done.

Last big mod will be in the spring for the Fullsac Stage 1 Sleeper kit of DX pipe, 2" cores, and TTS tune.  Then I'll have to spread the chrome and an eventual Sound Customz audio upgrade out over a couple of years so my better half won't try to cash the life insurance policy in early.   :behead:

Thanks again for the reply.  I might have more questions for you down the road (pun intended).   ???

Tru

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 10:02:26 PM »

Heck I can even hear her talk to me without even turning my head.

I'm sorry.  :(
Jesus is Lord

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 10:53:25 PM »

Hi Billy, my seat is not the hammock, it is the SunRay heated seat. I got lucky and picked it up on EBay used but in mint condition for a little over 200 dollars.

Hey dlaws it is funny but as I was typing that I could hear her I figured somebody would tell me that they were sorry. LOL.

I know what you mean about trying to spread out the mods TRU it can get expensive. My next mod is a removable tour pak. I purchased a swinebox and had it shipped to Joe at Xtreme Dimension for painting. I am attending the Lonestar rally in Galveston Texas November 1-4 and then I am gonna ship him my side cover and the backrest and rack for it so he can work his magic. I will also be on the lookout for a good deal on some Kuryakyn fender boss mounted driving lights while I am at the rally. Then I just have to STOP with the mods....at least for a little while ;)

Snapperkid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »

Here's what I went with. Just change out the shields depending on where you going.
2015 Road Glide Special
2014 Honda Goldwing (When moma rides!)
2013 Breakout CVO (Bar Hopper)
2013 Road King CVO (Sold)
2009 Ultra CVO (Sold)
2011 Road King Custom (Sold)
2012 Road Glide CVO (Sold)
2012 Street Glide CVO (Sold)
2011 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Road Glide (Sold)
2002 Road King (Sold)
1994 Softtail Springer (Sold)
1972 Harley (Can't Remember)

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.