Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil coolers & alternative discussion  (Read 4841 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Oil coolers & alternative discussion
« on: October 19, 2013, 05:20:42 PM »

I have an 08 SERK that has the stock low mounted oil cooler.  Since it will be going on it's seventh year on the road, the existing cooler has suffered greatly from road debris etc.  Since there are so many choices out there, I was hoping to get some ideas for my winter project list.  I now have the S&S 124 low compression crate motor than runs significantly cooler than the 110 it replaced.  I could look for a direct replacement and hope for the best or install a Jagg fan mounted unit which will cost over $500.00 for all the parts to do the install.  I could locate a stock replacement on E-Bay and put on the Wards fan kit and get the job done.  Even though I live in the Northeast, a riding vacation in Maine last year found us two up & loaded with gear in heavy stop and go traffic behind a paving crew in 110 degree weather.  I want to do something but I want to be reasonable as well.  If I just threw everything at it I could drop an easy $800.00 towards cooling it.  I want this motor to last as long as possible.  I would like to start a discussion on using these products & the pro's & con's of cooling these hot blooded motors.  I'm fully aware of the importance of tuning.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Oil coolers & alternative discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:54:51 PM »

I have an 08 SERK that has the stock low mounted oil cooler.  Since it will be going on it's seventh year on the road, the existing cooler has suffered greatly from road debris etc.  Since there are so many choices out there, I was hoping to get some ideas for my winter project list.  I now have the S&S 124 low compression crate motor than runs significantly cooler than the 110 it replaced.  I could look for a direct replacement and hope for the best or install a Jagg fan mounted unit which will cost over $500.00 for all the parts to do the install.  I could locate a stock replacement on E-Bay and put on the Wards fan kit and get the job done.  Even though I live in the Northeast, a riding vacation in Maine last year found us two up & loaded with gear in heavy stop and go traffic behind a paving crew in 110 degree weather.  I want to do something but I want to be reasonable as well.  If I just threw everything at it I could drop an easy $800.00 towards cooling it.  I want this motor to last as long as possible.  I would like to start a discussion on using these products & the pro's & con's of cooling these hot blooded motors.  I'm fully aware of the importance of tuning.

Not sure I agree with the premise Ray.  Seems like you're looking for something that "might" or probably would be effective that is cheaper than the Jagg units you say can be had for $500.  Even if this as yet unspecified option is half the cost of the Jagg unit that mean you're still trying to save only $250 for something that certainly won't do any better than the Jagg unit.  $250 is small potatoes compared to the 124 build that you're trying to preserve the life of.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 07:02:31 PM »

I forked out $800 for a baker 1.5 oil pan and and $500 for the reefer oil cooler.  Do it once and do it the right way. It will pay off in the long run. Quality part all the way. Looks good, feels good, and it is good all the way around.  :huepfenjump3:
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:04:15 PM »

I guess I didn't do a good job of relaying what I was thinking to print.  The fan assisted Jagg unit would still be located where the stock unit is currently being hammered.  I was trying to find something that would be better protected and still offer good protection from the heat.  I only mentioned the other alternatives due to the short life it would have with the gravel roads out my way.  I did installed the Baker oil pan when it was new.  Sorry for the mix up.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:30:34 PM »

My son has a downtube mounted 10 row Jagg on his 110" '07 RK. No fans, wiring or BS. Hardly notice it, lowered his teps 20 deg. Take a look a one, it looks like its mounted out of airflow, but actually draws air in.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:42:29 PM »

Check out the "OIL BUD" oil cooler. A person on the site, along with my steeler put one on their 120 engines and noticed a big difference in oil temps. I also had my best friend put one on his 110 CVO Road Glide. Goggle up Oil Bud, and look for the article on this site about that oil cooler.
The "TAZMUN"

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »

My son has a downtube mounted 10 row Jagg on his 110" '07 RK. No fans, wiring or BS. Hardly notice it, lowered his teps 20 deg. Take a look a one, it looks like its mounted out of airflow, but actually draws air in.

Can you mount that type of cooler if your bike has lowers?
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 09:25:06 AM »

Can you mount that type of cooler if your bike has lowers?
Nope! Thats how my kid got his. I ordered it for my CUSE and no way to make it fit. It had a disclaimer that it may not work with lowers, I figured the maybe could be overcome.....I was wrong.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »

Nope! Thats how my kid got his. I ordered it for my CUSE and no way to make it fit. It had a disclaimer that it may not work with lowers, I figured the maybe could be overcome.....I was wrong.
Do you have an opinion on the center-mounted Jagg 10 row cooler with fan? I'm considering replacing the stock Harley oil cooler. Thanks.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 10:06:34 AM »

Those that have them seem very happy. I use CAOCS from Enigma Concepts. Very different but does work very well and comes with a fan behind the horn. I am thinking of replacing that with the Wards Fans and keeping the lower unit as it works better than the stock HD cooler. The front bottom unit is housed in a chrome case with a fan in one end that blows over the coils inside.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 03:12:18 PM »

Check out the "OIL BUD" oil cooler. A person on the site, along with my steeler put one on their 120 engines and noticed a big difference in oil temps. I also had my best friend put one on his 110 CVO Road Glide. Goggle up Oil Bud, and look for the article on this site about that oil cooler.
X 2 Love this cooler and it works great!

BigLew

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:09 PM »

I forked out $800 for a baker 1.5 oil pan and and $500 for the reefer oil cooler.  Do it once and do it the right way. It will pay off in the long run. Quality part all the way. Looks good, feels good, and it is good all the way around.  :huepfenjump3:

Big Lew, I'm a firm believer in you can't have too much oil...  But I thought I read on here someplace that someone had an oil temp gauge and did the 1.5 added pan.  He found that the oil temp did not go down just by having more oil alone.  I'm sure that the oil cooler and more oil did the trick for you, but I'm not sure how much of it was the pan and not the cooler.  All's good though, you've got a good setup now.

What I'm thinking about now that the waterheads are out, why not put oil coolers behind the radiators to cool the oil???  When at idle the fans would be on to add added cooling when not moving fast.  265° oil cooled by 200° air, that works for me.  You could easily drop 20 to 30 degrees on the oil temp.  Just a thought if the MOCO people are monitoring the site!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »

Here is my Ultra Coll twin fan oil cooler. Will see how much cooler my ride feels.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 09:38:34 PM »

I installed the Baker oil pan and while it did give me more capacity which is a good thing it did next to zero to lower the temp according to my son's expensive tester after a few minutes of riding.   The cooler that CVOFIXUP has looks like it would do the trick but in my neck of the woods it would be trashed from gravel in no time.  I believe the Oil Bud only works on the stock pan, but I'll have to check that one.  I'll end up with some type of cooler to replace the damaged one, just have to find the right one.  So far lots of promising ideas to go over.   May consider a lower fan assist Jagg with some type of protective screen made at a machine shop.  I live near 3 different sand pits and they are always dropping rocks and gravel due to being overloaded.  It does a lot of minor cosmetic damage on the fenders and I already mentioned the present oil cooler, these spills are also dangerous as one never knows when he will encounter a small pile in a bad area.  I'm sure some of you have to deal with the same conditions on the road.   

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 22 queries.