Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: '07 110in Upgrade Debate  (Read 16285 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: '07 110in Upgrade Debate
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 08:31:21 PM »

Great stuff guys! Harry and Beerman, thanks for the input.
I've heard that you can change the pipes and air cleaner on an '07 CVO without changing the ECM settings. If this is the case, the Power Commander should work well with exhaust/air cleaner changes while still allowing switching back to the stock ECM for any Warranty work. This assumes that the stock SE 255 cams can be "lived with". Can the Thundermax be switched back and forth easily also?
So far: Dynojet PC or Zippers Autotune with Thundermax, K&N KN-800 filter, Rineharts or V&H true-duals. Do we think this combo will be a good compromise of 200 miles tanks at 80MPH at under 3500 RPM? 2-1/2 hours between 200 mi. stops. I hope so. Comfortable 800 mi. days in under 12 hours. Perfect! What more can you ask for? NYC to Daytona in 12 hours. Badlands in 2 days. Bring it on!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 08:50:26 PM »

Hoist your very welcome hope it helps and saves you trial and error.   I do hate being the one of the first though its always hind sight.  To give you an idea, I had the Auto Tune on my bike at biketoberfest and it mounts in similiar to the Powercommander except that a wire is run along the frame to go to the sensor on the front pipe ... This was easy placed in and the narrow bans were easily disconnected.   All toll once you have stuff in place 15 to 20 minutes tops and that is only cause you gotta cut wire ties and put them back on not a big deal.  They are still working out the alarm portion of the 07's hope to hear soon on it.

The power commander is easy on and off, but personally I would not chance the lean condition by just removing it without having a download in the ECM to compensate for it.   Right now i am getting around 43 to 44 mpg and that is babying it.  Mileage may vary ....  disclaimer hehe.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 09:09:54 PM »

Is there any H-D recalibration that can be done at the dealer for pipes and air cleaner only, before putting the PC or TMAX in? This would allow it to come off and on easily without worrying about damage OR warranty.
Can someone explain the closed loop/semi-closed loop/open loop/o2 sensor thing? I'm a carb guy and the dyno has always been the drag strip. Times they are a changin'. I gotta get the hang of this FI and electronics business to understand fully how these different FI controllers work and which would be best for me. Right now, the PC is in the lead.
It's amazing how much good stuff is on this site. You guys got your act together and are very helpful. Hope I can help someone too sometime.

Hoist!!!

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 09:37:47 PM »

[highlight]Is there any H-D recalibration that can be done at the dealer for pipes and air cleaner only, before putting the PC or TMAX in?[/highlight] This would allow it to come off and on easily without worrying about damage OR warranty.

Hoist!!!
The attachment is from the '07 Tech Info, and the only calibration downloads available through Digital Technician are the street legal versions, such as would be needed when upgrading a 96 to a 103 or 110 with the street legal kits.  The 110's in the CVO's would already have the 110 street legal calibration, so I would guess that is all you'll be able to get through the Digital Technician downloads.  The "off road / race" calibrations are only available with the SERT.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 10:39:15 PM »

Well, maybe putting the stock air cleaner back and only leaving the pipes shouln't be too bad in the short term if you have to bring it in. I understand the street setting for the 110" will allow pie changes.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 11:40:18 PM »

"PIPE" changes. I guess you can always change your pies!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2006, 03:06:05 PM »

Honestly if it were for the heat issue I would say yes.  If your doing it to expect much performance gain I think you will be disappointed.  Harley's 2 into 1 at 70-80 cross over actually produces power quite well its the breathing that is going to make the engine sing by breathing I mean more air and more air out ... so breather and pipe combination.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2006, 03:41:56 PM »

After everything I've been researching on this, it appears there's no way around new air filter, pipes, and PC on the new motors. These motors are just set up too lean, for EPA Compliance, for any decent performance or modifications as stock. I'm understanding that these 3 things alone will provide a 15-20HP increase (from 75 up to 90-95) & 10ft-lb torque increase (from 90 up to 100). I'm hoping I can live with the stock cams and that the big motor will have some decent pull on the highway while getting reasonable gas mileage. Not looking to build a drag motor just a good, strong, reliable touring motor that pulls nicely up hills or when you need to pass.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 03:55:38 PM »

I think that if you have to change the pipes, the true duals would be the way to go. Let the motor breathe and get rid of the crossover and heat at the same time.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2006, 04:00:31 PM »

After everything I've been researching on this, it appears there's no way around new air filter, pipes, and PC on the new motors. These motors are just set up too lean, for EPA Compliance, for any decent performance or modifications as stock. I'm understanding that these 3 things alone will provide a 15-20HP increase (from 75 up to 90-95) & 10ft-lb torque increase (from 90 up to 100).....
This is very true, as you mentioned due to EPA regulations this is what the MoCo has to do to get the bikes out the door. Now you just have to find the combination of the above items (air filter, pipes, fuel delivery system) that you like.

....... I'm hoping I can live with the stock cams and that the big motor will have some decent pull on the highway while getting reasonable gas mileage. Not looking to build a drag motor just a good, strong, reliable touring motor that pulls nicely up hills or when you need to pass.
Hopefully with the changes that were made to the cam chain tensioners you will be all right. Personally for me I wanted to feel more secure in my cam set-up and wanted to go with gear driven cams. Luckily during the time I was looking Zippers (along with Freedoms) were working on some cams specifically for the 103ci motors. Along with getting rid of the weak link (cam chain tensioners) I was able to increase my HP/TQ in the ranges that my bike is ridden in. I'm sure as more testing/riding are done with the new 110ci motors there will be all kinds of "toys' coming out to add to the enjoyment of them. Like you I didn't want a "drag bike", but wanted to get the full potential from my motor and still have the reliability also. I think if you give it time these enhancements (if needed) will become available.

Maybe all you will need to do is the first mods you speak of (AC/Pipes/PC) and can spend the rest of your money on chrome and other additions to your scooter. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2006, 04:17:29 PM »

I think you're right FiredOOd. Nice hearing from you. I see not too much gets past you on this site and was wondering when you were going to jump in on this. Like I said earlier, I'm glad I found this site and look forward to sharing experiences with all. That's how we learn. Thanks for everyone's input. Please, anyone jump into this after doing any work on the new 110". Let's start keeping track of these mods and see what works well and what doesn't. Thanks again. Hoist!

owenja

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 04:18:52 PM »

I'm new to the forum and there seems to be lot's of great information.  My 07 SERK in Razor Red is scheduled to ship on 17 Nov. and I hope to have her in early December.  

Tentatively I plan to install Rinehart true duals, K&N filter, & SERT along with some minor cosmetics.  Like some here I'm not interested in building a race bike but want to get the most from the 110 that I can get without breaking the bank.  Has anyone tried this combination yet?

Also plan to add a removable fairing from Hoppe Industries in the future for those long trips.  It'll be nice to have the tunes.  I won't do that unless I can find someone who I'm confident in to match the paint.

Jim

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2006, 04:30:15 PM »

Hey Owenja! Mine's not coming until Feb, '07. Hpoefully you'll be able to let me know how that combo works for you. It doesn't appear that a lot of mods have been done to the new 110" yet as performance parts are just being developed for this motor. It was explained to me that a lot of the mods people have done here are based on the 103". I guess we'll learn the "do's and don'ts" on the 110" as we go. Hpoefully, we can keep track of it all here and save ourselves the time and $$$ by not having to do too much trial and error. Good luck with your new ride! Hoist!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2006, 04:49:36 PM »

..... It doesn't appear that a lot of mods have been done to the new 110" yet as performance parts are just being developed for this motor. It was explained to me that a lot of the mods people have done here are based on the 103". I guess we'll learn the "do's and don'ts" on the 110" as we go. Hpoefully, we can keep track of it all here and save ourselves the time and $$$ by not having to do too much trial and error. Good luck with your new ride! Hoist!
What you said is very important, but sometimes hard to do.... Unless you want to be the one doing the "trial and errors" be patient, wait for the MoCo and aftermarket to get some riding/testing under their belts. There are some significant changes in the 110ci motors, and until there is adequate time for R&D from the aftermarket you will either get really lucky in what you purchase/try or be S.O.L. and have to spend unnecessary coins that you may not want to.

I purchased my bike in July '04, added pipes and SERT in October '04, then waited until April/May '06 before I finally found the cams I wanted. The main thing is take your time, do your homework, read/listen to all the information you can find on/about the 110ci motors, talk to every "wrench" that will give you some of there time (Especially the one that will be tuning your bike if you are not going to tune it yourself. This is most important because you will find out what they suggest/prefer in regards to PC/SERT and this will give you an indication of what you should get because more then likely the one they suggest/prefer will be the one they are most proficient/comfortable with.), doing all the above will give you the ability to make an informed decision that may keep you from having to install/take-off/install new parts because something isn't what you thought it would be.

The hardest thing each of you with the 110ci motors is facing is everything is new and it
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2006, 05:11:19 PM »

I have been going to the VTwin Dealers Show in Cincinnati for the last few years in Feb. and I think I'll just wait until then to buy anything for the Springer. All the companies are at the show and many guys intro new stuff there ( it's a month before Daytona )
H*ll, I can't ride a whole lot in N Ohio in winter anyway
I agree, we need to keep everyone apprised as to what works on the new 110 and save the others a few headaches
Read the letter to the Ed on page 33 of the lastest Motorcyclist that's on the stands
They printed my thoughts on the new SE bike !!
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 21 queries.