Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 472

Author Topic: What did you do to or on your CVO today?  (Read 1154730 times)

HOGMIKE and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
Re: What did you do to or on your CVO today?
« Reply #750 on: April 02, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »

Finished
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:37:28 PM by Fireguy »

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #751 on: April 02, 2014, 06:28:54 PM »

Your pack chrome trim.
Would someone fix my pics please. Thanks.

I can't fix/edit others posts, but - how's this??
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:31:02 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #752 on: April 03, 2014, 11:01:48 AM »

Nice job!

I think I need this.

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
« Reply #753 on: April 03, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »

This is more like what I did on it one day, then the next, then the next, and yet another day.  I'll throw a summary/lessons learned in the Intake/Exhaust thread, but figured I would chronicle some of my experiences (and stupidity) here since it still fits with the top of the thread:

Fullsac Install - Day 1 (Monday)
  • Removed exhaust system from the bike (2 hours) - A little slow, but I was trying to be careful.  Took pictures of clamp positions in hopes that it would help with re-assembling.
  • Installed and updated MasterTune software (30 minutes)
  • Install additional chrome pieces to engine (4 hours) - I love a fully-chromed out engine, and I wish Harley would make more parts/covers for the 110 because trying to wrestle with Kuryakyn parts flat out sucks

Fullsac Install - Day 2 (Tuesday)
  • Start installation of new header pipe (1 hour) - Realize that there are no mounting flanges on the new header pipe.  Call Fullsac and leave a message.  If I would have just spent the 2 minutes removing the C-Clips, I might have tried to slide the existing flanges off the pipe and saw that they would come straight off.  I come from the automotive world where the flanges are on the pipe, and can't come off.  So if you don't have flanges, you don't have a way to install it.
  • Disconnect heater wire from wall outlet (5 seconds) and opt to let it fall instead of setting it on the ground.  Stare in horror (20 seconds) as said cord falls the wrong way and hits the bottom of the left hard bag (that was only partially covered up) and puts a tiny nick/chip in the paint.
  • Install HD chrome head bolt bridges on engine (2.5 hours - 1 hour spent looking for a hex stud insert that I dropped) - I'm breaking the rules on this one, and I'll probably pay for it later (which means I'll end up taking them off).  I love the way these look, but I am afraid of what it's going to do with the air flow to the area in the middle of the heads.  Had to dremel the outer side of each bridge so that the spark plug wire could be removed and put back on easily.
  • Get out torque wrench in preparation for head pipe install.  Remember it was broken from over 10 years ago, and was not replaced.  Run to Sears to get a new one (1.5 hours)
  • Finally start installing head pipe (1 hour) - Had wife help with holding and watching front part of the pipe so I could get it aligned in the first shot.
  • Start re-installing heat shields on new header pipe (2 hours) - Yes, that's right - 2 hours.  I could not get them to align like the way they were on the factory pipe.  I realized it was a different pipe design, but I felt like I should be able to do it.  Finally gave up and left them as they were. Overtightened the shield between the muffler and the upper shields, and put two small dents in it from where the clamp mounts were.
  • Install cross-over pipe (30 minutes)

Fullsac Install - Day 3 (Wednesday)
  • Remove old cores from mufflers (2 hours) - Yep, another 2 hours for something that most guys are getting done in about 30 minutes.  I was completely paranoid of going too deep and going through the muffler wall (almost did on one can).  Started wailing on the core trying to break it lose while the muffler was sitting on a small table.  Forgot that I had left the Dremel sitting on said table, and watched it fall and break the grinding disks and bend the screw holding them on.
  • Install wrapping with new cores (1.5 hours) - Yet something else that should have taken about 30 minutes.  I wanted to use all of the wrapping so that the new exhaust wouldn't be much louder than stock, but just sound better.  The first can went great.  The second can I had to do 3 times before everything went in, and managed to get it stuck on the 2nd try which required pliers to pull back out.
  • Install mufflers, heat shields, and end caps (1 hour) - Realized that the end caps have to go on before the muffler heat shields go on AFTER I put the heat shields on.

Fullsac Install - Day 4 (Today's schedule)
  • Finish installing end caps and reinstall muffler heat shields
  • Re-install right foot board
  • Program ECM with new fuel map
  • Re-install side covers and bags

It's been pretty disparaging that something that most guys are finishing in 4 - 6 hours is taking me 3.5 days to complete.  While I'm no master-mechanic, I've done enough to consider myself to be decently competent (motor swaps, chassis rebuilds, etc).  But, at least it will finally be done.  Sorry how long this was, but if you were able to have a chuckle or two at my expense then it might be worth it.

Tru

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #754 on: April 03, 2014, 11:29:27 AM »

Sounds like a lot of frustration........but the end results is what counts most. That is, unless you were working on my scooter and charging me 75 bucks per hr.  :nervous:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #755 on: April 03, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »

Dude...  I feel for you.  I think most of us have had at least one "project from hell" while working on a bike, car, house or in our real jobs.

On a lighter note, I was waiting to see the "drank another beer / shot" in there somewhere, similar to the old "how to change your oil" schtick just to add color:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree ($50.00)
2) Stop by 7/11 and buy a case of beer, drive home. ($20)
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8 ) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss..
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms.Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
18) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
19) Remember drain plug from step 11.
20) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
21) Drink beer.
22) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
23) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink beer.
24) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.
25) Begin cussing fit.
26) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
27) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.
28) Beer.
29) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
30) Beer.
31) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
32) Beer.
33) Lower car from jack stands..
34) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.
35) Beer.
36) Test drive car.
37) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence. ($2,500)
38) Car gets impounded.
39) Call loving wife, make bail.  ($1,500)
40) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard. ($75)

Cost of oil change: $4,145.00
 But you know the job was done right!

LOLOLOLOL   :coolblue:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Digital

• Full CVO Member
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #756 on: April 03, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »

I just ordered 2" Cores and sleeves from Fullsac even though I already have Supertrapp Stouts.   Gotta see what all of the fuss is about.   

I think I will order the Fullsac DX headers and TTS this week as well.
2014 CVO Road King
2013 Road Glide (sold)
2012 Modified Baja DB30 - FUN BIKE!
2012 Fatboy Lo (sold)
2011 Aprilia Tuono (sold)
2006 Ducati Sport 1000 (sold)
1997 Yamaha YZF600r (sold)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #757 on: April 03, 2014, 02:54:07 PM »

Made an appointment for cams, lifters, and a tune at Dragos Bike Works

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #758 on: April 03, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »

This is more like what I did on it one day, then the next, then the next, and yet another day.  I'll throw a summary/lessons learned in the Intake/Exhaust thread, but figured I would chronicle some of my experiences (and stupidity) here since it still fits with the top of the thread:

Fullsac Install - Day 1 (Monday)
  • Removed exhaust system from the bike (2 hours) - A little slow, but I was trying to be careful.  Took pictures of clamp positions in hopes that it would help with re-assembling.
  • Installed and updated MasterTune software (30 minutes)
  • Install additional chrome pieces to engine (4 hours) - I love a fully-chromed out engine, and I wish Harley would make more parts/covers for the 110 because trying to wrestle with Kuryakyn parts flat out sucks

Fullsac Install - Day 2 (Tuesday)
  • Start installation of new header pipe (1 hour) - Realize that there are no mounting flanges on the new header pipe.  Call Fullsac and leave a message.  If I would have just spent the 2 minutes removing the C-Clips, I might have tried to slide the existing flanges off the pipe and saw that they would come straight off.  I come from the automotive world where the flanges are on the pipe, and can't come off.  So if you don't have flanges, you don't have a way to install it.
  • Disconnect heater wire from wall outlet (5 seconds) and opt to let it fall instead of setting it on the ground.  Stare in horror (20 seconds) as said cord falls the wrong way and hits the bottom of the left hard bag (that was only partially covered up) and puts a tiny nick/chip in the paint.
  • Install HD chrome head bolt bridges on engine (2.5 hours - 1 hour spent looking for a hex stud insert that I dropped) - I'm breaking the rules on this one, and I'll probably pay for it later (which means I'll end up taking them off).  I love the way these look, but I am afraid of what it's going to do with the air flow to the area in the middle of the heads.  Had to dremel the outer side of each bridge so that the spark plug wire could be removed and put back on easily.
  • Get out torque wrench in preparation for head pipe install.  Remember it was broken from over 10 years ago, and was not replaced.  Run to Sears to get a new one (1.5 hours)
  • Finally start installing head pipe (1 hour) - Had wife help with holding and watching front part of the pipe so I could get it aligned in the first shot.
  • Start re-installing heat shields on new header pipe (2 hours) - Yes, that's right - 2 hours.  I could not get them to align like the way they were on the factory pipe.  I realized it was a different pipe design, but I felt like I should be able to do it.  Finally gave up and left them as they were. Overtightened the shield between the muffler and the upper shields, and put two small dents in it from where the clamp mounts were.
  • Install cross-over pipe (30 minutes)

Fullsac Install - Day 3 (Wednesday)
  • Remove old cores from mufflers (2 hours) - Yep, another 2 hours for something that most guys are getting done in about 30 minutes.  I was completely paranoid of going too deep and going through the muffler wall (almost did on one can).  Started wailing on the core trying to break it lose while the muffler was sitting on a small table.  Forgot that I had left the Dremel sitting on said table, and watched it fall and break the grinding disks and bend the screw holding them on.
  • Install wrapping with new cores (1.5 hours) - Yet something else that should have taken about 30 minutes.  I wanted to use all of the wrapping so that the new exhaust wouldn't be much louder than stock, but just sound better.  The first can went great.  The second can I had to do 3 times before everything went in, and managed to get it stuck on the 2nd try which required pliers to pull back out.
  • Install mufflers, heat shields, and end caps (1 hour) - Realized that the end caps have to go on before the muffler heat shields go on AFTER I put the heat shields on.

Fullsac Install - Day 4 (Today's schedule)
  • Finish installing end caps and reinstall muffler heat shields
  • Re-install right foot board
  • Program ECM with new fuel map
  • Re-install side covers and bags

It's been pretty disparaging that something that most guys are finishing in 4 - 6 hours is taking me 3.5 days to complete.  While I'm no master-mechanic, I've done enough to consider myself to be decently competent (motor swaps, chassis rebuilds, etc).  But, at least it will finally be done.  Sorry how long this was, but if you were able to have a chuckle or two at my expense then it might be worth it.

Tru

Please tell me you like the sound....   :P

In the words of a former president, " I feel your pain."

Kind Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #759 on: April 03, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »

I had the last 4 days off with awesome weather no less. So I rode a couple hundred miles each day and also managed to install a set of heat demons grip heaters. However, the heaters do not work. The left one is defective. Heat Demons is sending a replacement but it won't be here until after I leave for another trip to work. Just gonna be a little bit of a pain to disassemble again but the weather was just too beautiful not to put it all back together and ride!!!!

iqoair

« Reply #760 on: April 04, 2014, 12:20:58 AM »

Just had my shop install Andrews 54 cams and thinner head gaskets along with a Dyno Tune.

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #761 on: April 04, 2014, 01:42:17 AM »

Wiped it down with Purple Slice ............................20 minutes. :nixweiss:

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #762 on: April 04, 2014, 07:43:34 AM »

Just had my shop install Andrews 54 cams and thinner head gaskets along with a Dyno Tune.

Did you cross the elusive "100"
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Digital

• Full CVO Member
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #763 on: April 04, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »

Got the pipes ready for the Fullsac 2" cores that are incoming. 

2014 CVO Road King
2013 Road Glide (sold)
2012 Fatboy Lo (sold)

Digital

• Full CVO Member
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #764 on: April 04, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »

What's the story on the toy handgun?  :nixweiss:

HA!   I didn't notice that.   My kid and his buddies run around the subdivision shooting each other with airsoft pellets.  Those things hurt!
2014 CVO Road King
2013 Road Glide (sold)
2012 Fatboy Lo (sold)
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 472

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 22 queries.