Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: It's done - for now...  (Read 12452 times)

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
It's done - for now...
« on: October 29, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »

I picked this bike up from a fellow CVOHarley member back in July 2013.  It was tastefully set up for the previous owner, but it just wasn't a fit I liked.

So, I set about a round of mods both for comfort and style.  The list is brief, but costly.

1.  Daymaker headlight
2.  Extended forward controls w/ Dyna Shift Linkage
3.  Billet/slotted brake and shifter lever
4.  Chrome rear master cylinder
5.  Shotgun Shock
6.  Buky Bars - 16" Odyssey 1.5" diameter
7.  Wild1 Chubby Risers (1.5") with 1" riser spacers
8.  Magnum Cables
9.  Rocker C / Breakout Horn
10.  Relocated ignition coil to horn bracket (replaced coil with the nicer looking one too)
11.  HD Speedo/Tach combo gauge
12.  Danny Grey Weekend Solo Seat

There are several other things that I did, though they're just subtle details. 

Thanks to this group for helping me when I got stumped.  There are a few things on this bike that are different from the others I've worked on!

Enough jibber-jabber, time for the pictures.

Before:

After:

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
Re: It's done - for now...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »

Lookin Great!!!  :2vrolijk_21:

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »

Very sharp looking ride! 

Dave
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 10:31:07 AM »

Sweet ride! Great mods. Enjoy the new bike!

harlee79

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »

Looks awesome, love the seat and bars.  Great color too :)

2009 FXSTSSE3 -Screaming Eagle Springer
2003 FLSTSI - Heritage Springer

Twism_23

• Senior CVO Member
    • MB

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE CHARRED STEEL LIGHTENING SILVER
    • CVO2: 2009 FXSTSSE3 COBALT BLUE
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 12:52:15 AM »

Wow,
The bike looks awesome! Love the bars! Did you lower the back end? I am thinking about some Progressive 422's, if you did, what did you use? I likely won't get to changing my bars this winter (doing cams,exhaust, seat and shocks)but those Buky's would be a nice addition. Still trying decide on whether to go Solo or the Short Hop XL. Anyway great looking bike! Thanks again!
2019 FLHXSE FM 128, Wood 22X-E, SE 64mm TB, 5.5 inj., D&D Billet Cat, Aim SDR, Legend  Revo-A, 12” F47, SE Vent. Extreme, SR Comp Ramp, Rekluse Slave

2009 FXSTSSE3, V&H PP, Exile open Primary, 14" Carlini, Danny Grey Shorthop 2 Up XL, HPI 51mm w/4.9 Injectors, Power Vision, AV&V Springs and Valves, Kury TC24D Cams, 10.2 Comp

2017 RGS - FM 124, SE 64mm TB 6.3 inj, Feuling 521, S&S Lifters & Oil pump & Cam plate, AIM SDR, F47 12", D&D Billet Cat,Corbin Classic Solo, 21" Aggressor

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 07:12:51 AM »

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Wow,
The bike looks awesome! Love the bars! Did you lower the back end? I am thinking about some Progressive 422's, if you did, what did you use? I likely won't get to changing my bars this winter (doing cams,exhaust, seat and shocks)but those Buky's would be a nice addition. Still trying decide on whether to go Solo or the Short Hop XL. Anyway great looking bike! Thanks again!

I did lower it, though in these pictures, it doesn't show it very much.  I actually installed an air ride suspension from Shotgun Shocks.  They're being offered on the HDF at a discounted member price along with other incentives thru Paypal.  The deal was too good to turn down.

It's a fully adjustable suspension including height  rebound, and dampening.  You can really slam the back end and actually tuck the rim up into the fender, or raise it like a 4x4.  1" of travel on the shock for adjustment equals about 5" at the rear axle.  Made in the USA and a full lifetime warranty.  The owner, JD, has a solid reputation as well.

From my limited riding on this new setup, I can tell the air ride is smooth as silk.  I'm happy I decided to do it on this bike.

hogdownunder

• AUSSIE SPRINGER
  • Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 CVO SPRINGER

• CVO1: 2008 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
    • CVO2: 2009 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER- SOLD
    • CVO3: 2007 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 07:49:19 AM »

Hey Fish,

Looks great.  You have been very busy on your bike..

Did you install the HD Extended Reach Forward Control kit (9171-08 Chrome) and extended reach rear brake line kit (44970-07) ?

Do you think the original shift linkage could have been adjusted to fit the extended reach setup? I notice you installed a Dyna shift linkage..

How do you find the extra reach compared to the stock fit?

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »

Hey Fish,

Looks great.  You have been very busy on your bike..

Did you install the HD Extended Reach Forward Control kit (9171-08 Chrome) and extended reach rear brake line kit (44970-07) ?

Do you think the original shift linkage could have been adjusted to fit the extended reach setup? I notice you installed a Dyna shift linkage..

How do you find the extra reach compared to the stock fit?

Yep, I used the HD kit.  It was more expensive to go with the HD parts, but IMHO, the end result it better than using the Ness plates.  The solid chrome brackets look right at home on this bike.

Here are the part numbers I used:

49171-08  KIT, EXTENDED REACH FWD CONTROL, CHROME
44972-08  KIT, BRAKELINE EXT REACH FWD CTRL/CHRM
41777-05A  KIT MSTR CYL,RR/CHRM-DOT4/TOURING
33761-09  KIT, SHIFT LINKAGE, SLOTTED B&S, DYNA

There is no way that you could use the stock shift linkage and have it look nice.  I know there are threaded extensions available, but I really thought that the function would have ruined form on those.  FWIW, the extended control kit comes with a longer shift linkage, but it's just a plain round rod, not even chrome.  You need to remove the ends (heim joints) from your stock linkage and add it to the supplied piece.

The Dyna linkage is a perfect fit, so any linkage for a Dyna would work.  You'll notice that I changed my brake and shift levers to the slotted type, so the slotted linkage was an obvious choice to match.

The brakeline from HD fits perfectly too, and it's a nice touch that it's chrome finished braided line too.  There's no choice in finish that I'm aware of, but with all the chrome on our bike already, it fits well.

Something you don't need to do, is replace the rear brake master cylinder.  My thoughts though were that if you're going to hang that thing 3" further forward and away from the frame and its natural surroundings, it needs to look good.  So, I replaced it with a chrome version, and it's completely blended in now, and looks great when you actually notice it.

As for the fit and feel of the extended controls...I was unsure at first.  I'm about 5'10", with a 30"-31" inseam.  The controls allow me to have my left almost completely straight, but I still have a small bend in my knees.  It's a great fit.  I can still kick my feet over the pegs if I want to, and rest my heels on them.  I'm not straining to reach the controls either.  Having ridden several miles with them now, I know I could not be comfortable on this bike without them.  When I bought the bike, I rode home approximately 1250 miles over two days.  With the stock mounts, my knees were bent in such a way that it was really uncomfortable, and almost painful after some time in the saddle.  That's gone now.

One thing - the pegs.  The stock rider pegs have an 'L' shaped mounting peg, if you will.  See the pictures below.  Because of this, the peg is another 1" forward/downward.  The passenger pegs, which I've actually removed, have a straight peg mount.  If I wanted to bring the pegs 1" closer, I could simply switch pegs.

If you still run passenger pegs and want to get a straight peg mount for the front pegs for the rider, I suppose you could switch the peg mounts inside the pegs. 

The part number for that would be: (it's the passenger peg mount/support)
50258-03      MOUNT, FOOTPEG SUPPORT

Here are some pictures of the mounts/controls.  When I was considering these, I had a hard time finding much information on them.  Hopefully they help you out!

Notice the 'L' shaped mount on the peg itself.

Jamal

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 springer Blue
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 04:11:22 PM »

Nice bike   :2vrolijk_21: great job Fish eye :)

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE gunship Gray
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 05:22:02 PM »

It looks great-it is exactly how I would have done it!

hogdownunder

• AUSSIE SPRINGER
  • Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 CVO SPRINGER

• CVO1: 2008 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
    • CVO2: 2009 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER- SOLD
    • CVO3: 2007 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 09:10:44 PM »

Hi fish,

Thank you for your great response to my questions.

I think I might change my forward control mounts as well on both of my Springers like you did. I do find the stock setup a little uncomfortable as well.

The problem with the 2009 Springer/Rocker/Breakout is that the Derby cover side of the bike is wider than a normal softail to allow for the wider rear wheel setup. Because of this, if HD used the normal pegs on the bike, you would find the rider would scratch the Transmission if the bike was leaned over too much. By lowering the front foot pegs an inch or so, the pegs would scrape first, before the reansmission. I was actually trying to find a "L" shaped accessory in the HD Parts catalogue which would allow me to fit different front pegs to the bike, but I did not locate any.. The "L" shaped part only allows some footpegs to fit this bike. I actually fitted "Wiley G Skull pegs" to the bike, but find them too large now. I fitted the "Silencer" pegs to the 2008 Springer beacuse they have a wear peg  fitted (PN: 50039-10 Footpegs with Wear Peg). They are great pegs for comfort and style. I actually had them chromed to suit the bike, they look great. I wanted to fit them to the 2009 as well but could not because of the "L" bracket would not allow them to fit. My only other option is to fit the "Silencer peg" with the longer wear peg fitted (PN: 50500025) and remove the front peg including the "L" bracket ..

Sorry I did not include a photo for you,  I am actually away from home at the moment..

Hope you enjoy your finished bike..

Best regards,
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:18:34 PM by hogdownunder »

rjmorris

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »

Wow! Beautiful bike and great looking mods. I just picked up a Cobalt Blue this week. Love seeing what others are doing. I will be adding some apes and like the look of the 1.5 inch bars. I see that you relocated the front turn signals. Are those HD signals and brackets? Thanks!

Rusty

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »

Thanks Rusty, congrats on your new purchase. 

Those are the stock HD signals, but the brackets are made by Drag Specialties.  I picked them up from Phat Performance parts, and they're about $20.  Just run a search on Google for 'Springer front turn signal relocation' and you'll get lots of hits.

rjmorris

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 12:12:18 PM »

Thanks Fish Eye,

Those are the same signal bodies that came off of the bike, or new bullets? Body looks longer and no amber lens. I'll do some looking for the brackets. Also, the handlebars, I went to the Buky website and couldn't fine the "Odyssey" bars. How did you come across these? They look great!

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 12:17:41 PM »

Thanks Fish Eye,

Those are the same signal bodies that came off of the bike, or new bullets? Body looks longer and no amber lens. I'll do some looking for the brackets. Also, the handlebars, I went to the Buky website and couldn't fine the "Odyssey" bars. How did you come across these? They look great!

They're the same signals, but I added the visor trim rings with clear or smoke lenses, I can't remember specifically, but I think smoke.  They match the headlight trim ring, and also make them look longer. 

The Odyssey bars aren't listed, but if you call Juan (which I recommend), he'll be happy to help.  I first read about them on the Roadglide.org forum, as that's where Buky Bars have some deep roots - the fixed fairing bikes have more options for bars, and Buky fits the bill well.

Check out this review I posted about the bars.  I like them so much I plan to replace my Carlini bars on my Road Glide with Buky Bars.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=89334.0

rjmorris

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »

I really appreciate all of the info. Looks like I'll have to give Juan a call (great review). So with your risers (2"??), you've got 18" apes?? I'm 6'1" and just wondering how that would work for me. I've just recently put Wild One 14's on my 13 CVO Ultra. Love 'em. I'll quit bugging you, for now anyway. Thanks again!

Rusty

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 02:30:55 PM »

I really appreciate all of the info. Looks like I'll have to give Juan a call (great review). So with your risers (2"??), you've got 18" apes?? I'm 6'1" and just wondering how that would work for me. I've just recently put Wild One 14's on my 13 CVO Ultra. Love 'em. I'll quit bugging you, for now anyway. Thanks again!

Rusty

Haha, no bother at all.

I had 1.5" risers originally from Wild1 (their Chubby risers), but with the Springer adapter plate that replaces the top tree and allows for regular risers, the risers mount about 3/4" back towards the tank.  With 1.5" risers, the bars would hit the tank.  I also had no luck finding a 2.5" riser anywhere, so bought the Wild1 riser extensions in 1" height. 

I ended up with 16" bars on 2.5" risers.  The extra inch is really no big deal.  I'm 5'10" and with this set up my hands are just above my shoulders.  Keep in mind, I have the Danny Grey seat too.

rjmorris

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 04:35:20 PM »

Hey Fish Eye,

Just spoke with the folks at Buky Bars. Got the 16" Odyssey's on the way. Was I correct in hearing from them that the clamping area is stepped down to 1"? Is that the entire width of the clamping area? Did you put a top clamp on your Wild One risers? I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row so when they arrive, I'm ready to go. Many thanks!

Rusty

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »

Hey Fish Eye,

Just spoke with the folks at Buky Bars. Got the 16" Odyssey's on the way. Was I correct in hearing from them that the clamping area is stepped down to 1"? Is that the entire width of the clamping area? Did you put a top clamp on your Wild One risers? I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row so when they arrive, I'm ready to go. Many thanks!

Rusty

Well, this all depends on a couple things.  First, did you order regular bars from Juan, or did you order springer bars?  The risers on a springer are wider apart, and there is no one piece top clamp.  Regular bars, well, have a 3" riser area and with apes, a 1 piece top clamp is best.

When I bought my Springer, the previous owner had already installed one of these top plates - not sure if it is a Carlini part or not, there are others that make them too.  I've used a Carlini plate before on a different bike, and it's a top quality piece.

http://www.carlinidesign.com/Harley-Parts-Accessories/Springer-Adapter-Plates/Fat-Springer-Adapter-Plate-1-FX-Springer.html

With this plate, you can run regular risers, which allow you to run any handlebar for any bike, providing it clears the tank/console when the bars are turned.

I am also using the Wild 1 Chubby risers in 1.5" height, and the Wild 1 Chubby riser extensions, in 1" height.  You CANNOT go any lower than 2.5" on the riser height with these bars or else the bars will hit the tank when turned (assuming you run a top plate adapter like I am).

They are the Wild1 website (www.wild1inc.com).

You'll need longer riser bolts than what comes with the top clamp.  I think I used 2" socket head cap screws (allen head bolts/internal hex).  The thread pitch is 1/2-13.

You'll also need bolts for the top clamp too.  I can't recall the correct size, I think it's 5/16-18 and I used 1.25" long bolts, but I can't remember exactly.  Ace Hardware will have all your needs, and some of them actually have chrome bolts and plugs for the bolt heads.

As for the riser area of the bars, they do step to 1" diameter.  I ended up with a spare clamp that I never used from Wild1.  It's normally $60, but if you want, it's yours for $50 shipped.  Picture below.

Here are a few pictures of the riser/plate area on the bike.  Hope this helps.

Of course, if you ordered springer bars, then all that is a moot point!

Let me know if you need cable lengths, I have that information as well.

Here is the Wild1 Top Clamp I have.  It's brand new, in the package.

rjmorris

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 09:59:20 PM »

Great info fish eye! Thanks for all of the insights, tips, and photos. You've given me a lot more to think about!

Rusty

Twism_23

• Senior CVO Member
    • MB

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »

Great thread, I had a question regarding the coil relocation you did. Where did you route the extended wire to the new location? Did you have to remove the tank? Thanks a lot!
2019 FLHXSE FM 128, Wood 22X-E, SE 64mm TB, 5.5 inj., D&D Billet Cat, Aim SDR, Legend  Revo-A, 12” F47, SE Vent. Extreme, SR Comp Ramp, Rekluse Slave

2009 FXSTSSE3, V&H PP, Exile open Primary, 14" Carlini, Danny Grey Shorthop 2 Up XL, HPI 51mm w/4.9 Injectors, Power Vision, AV&V Springs and Valves, Kury TC24D Cams, 10.2 Comp

2017 RGS - FM 124, SE 64mm TB 6.3 inj, Feuling 521, S&S Lifters & Oil pump & Cam plate, AIM SDR, F47 12", D&D Billet Cat,Corbin Classic Solo, 21" Aggressor

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 10:15:36 AM »

Great thread, I had a question regarding the coil relocation you did. Where did you route the extended wire to the new location? Did you have to remove the tank? Thanks a lot!

I did have the tank off, partly for the handlebar swap and partly for the coil relocation.  It's not a terrible process removing the tank, just not always fun getting all the gas out to avoid the mess when removing the crossover tube.

My bike already had the braided stainless crossover line, but if you have the stock rubber one, it's even easier.  Run the gas as low as possible, attach two cheapy vise grips on the rubber line to pinch it, and cut the center between the vise grips.  A new hose isn't expensive, or you can install the braided one; they're about $30.

As for the coil wiring, the wires were long enough, but I had to snip a few zips ties in front of the battery to get the length.  I ran it with the other wires in the wire trough on the spine of the frame, and popped it out with the injector wires.

Having the tank off really makes it easier though.

Twism_23

• Senior CVO Member
    • MB

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »

Thanks Fisheye, installed mine yesterday. Took the tank off and all went fine. I question, I am thinking of adding the chrome rocker horn like you did. Did you make you own extension wires for the horn or did you use DK's? Changing my speedometer today, cams and exhaust next week. These long winters in Canada are costing me a lot of money. Too much time to work on the bike!
Thanks in advance for your answer.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »

Thanks Fisheye, installed mine yesterday. Took the tank off and all went fine. I question, I am thinking of adding the chrome rocker horn like you did. Did you make you own extension wires for the horn or did you use DK's? Changing my speedometer today, cams and exhaust next week. These long winters in Canada are costing me a lot of money. Too much time to work on the bike!
Thanks in advance for your answer.

Good call removing the tank.  With what you've done, it's almost necessary to do it right.

As for the horn, it's just two wires.  I had some extra wire left over from one of my ape hanger projects, so I did extend the wiring, and then placed those two wires into a larger piece of heat shrink.  It keeps to clean and looks factory.  Best of all, I really like the look of the coil in the horn's place and that stupid fake seat post removed so you can see the oil tank and the rear cylinder. 

As for the connections to the horn itself, they're just plain old female spade connectors.  Nothing fancy.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 21 queries.