Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter Solenoid stuck  (Read 4100 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Starter Solenoid stuck
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »

This morning was beautiful 60 degrees. Pulled Bike out of garage tried to start it and the electric starter would not disengage. Hit the kill switch , turned ignition off and it kept cranking untill it completely killed the battery. I could not get the battery cables off in time. The battery got really hot and would not take a charge anymore. I removed the solenoid plunger, it was stuck. Filed the copper washer smooth and cleaned the inner terminals, installed new battery and all is well now. I might make a plunger for the solenoid that is attached so I can disengage it manually if it ever sticks again.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Starter Solenoid stuck
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 12:57:30 PM »

A starter disconnect switch would work, if you have room to hide it. I would think the kill switch would do it, there I go, thinking again.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:44:02 AM »

This morning was beautiful 60 degrees. Pulled Bike out of garage tried to start it and the electric starter would not disengage. Hit the kill switch , turned ignition off and it kept cranking untill it completely killed the battery. I could not get the battery cables off in time. The battery got really hot and would not take a charge anymore. I removed the solenoid plunger, it was stuck. Filed the copper washer smooth and cleaned the inner terminals, installed new battery and all is well now. I might make a plunger for the solenoid that is attached so I can disengage it manually if it ever sticks again.

Low battery voltage will cause those to stay engaged from what we've seen.
Scott

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »

I removed the starter clutch. It is supposed to turn only one direction.  It did that but it was binding in the direction that it's sur to turn. The solenoid contacts were good. They were replaced just over two months ago. I did buy another starter clutch and battery and all works fine

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.