Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Engine miss  (Read 7565 times)

Old Badger

• CVO2: FXSTSSE2
2008 FXSTSSE2 Engine miss
« on: November 05, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »

looking for suggestions, my bike is stock with the exception of V & H pipes, at 27,000 fuel system went out and was replaced by H.D. Now at 27,500 the bike intermittently cuts out around 2800 rpm when slowing down or letting off the throttle slightly. There is also a lot more back fire then normal, two HD dealership say they need a check engine light to check it out, when I lost the fuel pump it did not send a code.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Old Badger

Re: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Engine miss
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »

Just an update, four days at the HD Dealership, plugs and wires, same problem. Been riding Harleys since 1976, never been stumped this bad.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »

lifters, fuel system, exhaust maybe?  Really need more info
Jesus is Lord

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 11:15:18 AM »

Just curious how much fuel is in the bike....

On these softails, the fuel line between the fuel pump and the fitting at the bottom of the tank (inside the tank itself), can rub the top of the tank, causing pinholes.  When the level of fuel gets below the pinholes in that line, the engine can miss.  Obviously, when the fuel is above the pinholes, there's no problem.

Just a thought.  My 03 Heritage Springer had this problem. 

Old Badger

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »

Thank you both, as far as the fuel goes it does not seem to matter if the bike is full or near empty. The entire fuel system in side the tank was replaced around 2000 miles ago. The second Harley dealership just checked the entire fuel system again and could not find any defects, full fuel pressure even during the engine miss.

More info, I will try to be as specific as I can, the bike cuts out/misses around 2700-3200 rpm and there does not seem to be rime nor reason as to when it does it. This last time the HD shop road the bike and was able to witness the miss, they replaced the plugs (third set since the problem Begin) and said they found the rear plug wire to be bad. They said they had checked the fuel system, injectors, and electrical system on the bike, I have run Vance and Hines Big Radius on the bike for the last 25,000 miles with no problems. The bike is pretty much stock besides, exhaust, apes, seat and sissybar. The HD dealership does not believe the problem is exhaust related. I my self feel like an injector is cutting in and out, they tell me that if that was the case they would be able to pin point it.

I have a mechanic shop and realize that I am asking the darn near impossible from you with out you being able to see and hear it run, just graspping at straws hoping someone else may have had a similar problem.

Ride Safe.

Old Badger

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 10:53:33 AM »

Update after a month in the Harley Shop, the problem was the front O2 sensor. Apparently they have had a few problems where the sensor test good but has a intermittent problem, none the less, the bike runs well and screams down the road like it should.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 09:45:17 AM »

Update after a month in the Harley Shop, the problem was the front O2 sensor. Apparently they have had a few problems where the sensor test good but has a intermittent problem, none the less, the bike runs well and screams down the road like it should.

Good to hear you're back and running strong Old Badger.  Such a simple fix, but with it being intermittent, not so much!

Thanks for sharing the fix too - you never know who you might save a headache by sharing.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.