Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '14 CVO Limited / new headers, baffles and tuning kit  (Read 1762 times)

Big Erik

• Ride Free
    • SC

• CVO1: '12 H-D FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: '14 H-D FLHTKSE
'14 CVO Limited / new headers, baffles and tuning kit
« on: December 02, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »

Just replaced my '12 CVO Street Glide (excessive heat fried the lifters and cylinders so I left it with the Dealer) with a '14 CVO Limited.  Love the new ride but the power curve and rumble have left me wanting more on both fronts.  After reading many posts here, I'm headed down one of two paths:

1) Vance & Hines Power Duals w/ Hi Output Slip Ons plus Dynojet Power Vision module

2) Fullsac DX Pipe w/ CVO Power Core (2") w/ perforated muffler sleeve plus EITHER TTS Master Tune OR Dynojet Power Vision.

I'm leaning towards Fullsac plus Dynojet (option 2) because: i like the OEM look, the grinding and install doesn't look too risky, and CVOHarley members seem to think the Dynojet interface is a bit more intuitive and flexible than the TTS Master Tune.  Option 2 is a bit more expensive, but V&H have a great reputation .. not sure if I need the O2 bungs and if that requires welding.

I'm worried with Option 2 that I may end up with a disturbingly loud ride at touring speeds, and that I may be missing something regarding the TTS vs Dynojet tradeoffs.  

Anybody opinionated enough on the topic to push me over the decision?  Trying to get this thing done before Christmas.

Thanks in advance.

'00 H-D FLHSTC
'12 H-D FLHXSE3
'14 H-D FLHTKSE (Fullsac DX 2" Core and baffles)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: '14 CVO Limited / new headers, baffles and tuning kit
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »

You cannot go wrong with the Fullsac products. The DX pipe and 2" cores sound great and are not harsh or too loud at all. For the tuner I strongly recommend the TTS. There is nothing better on the market for tuning fuel injected Harley's. When you get the package from Steve at Fullsac he will send you a base map that will get your tune very close, and he offers a discount to forum members!

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »

Dear Zoolander:

I have the Fullsac setup with 2 in cores.  It works great.

The stock tune file is OK, but you will want a full tune of some sort.  I tried the Flight Recorder, but just gave up and took it to the dyno guy.  Much better results than anything I could have come up with.

Some install hints (assuming you are putting this on yourself):

• If your gaskets are OK when you remove the pipes, I recommend using the ones that are already in.
    They are a bear to get in right.  After doing the rear one, I left the front gasket alone and reused it.    It's just a PIA to get fresh ones in straight.
  • When removing the baffles, do both pipes at once.  When I did mine I did one pipe at a time.  The packing from the first one was shredded, so it was hard to wrap around the screen and re-insert into the muffler.  Naturally, when I did the second pipe the packing was a nice complete sheet with enough packing to do both pipes.  It went together much easier.  Had I disassembled them both at once, I could have discarded the shredded packing and used the nice sheet of packing for both mufflers.  This assumes you are getting the screens, of course.  They hold the packing out against the insides of the mufflers.
  • I used a heavy duty cutoff wheel with the Dremel extension to grind away the welds.  Just don't get carried away and cut through your pipe.
  • Squirt a little WD 40 on the pipe/muffler junction to loosen them up.  Even brand new they are tight.
  • The X-pipe isn't beveled at the muffler end like the stock head pipe.  Consequently, they go on tight and do not go on as far.  They best I could do is maybe 3/8 - 1/2 from the original length.  My mounts are almost at the end of the bracket.  Another poster had the same issue.  I used a big azz rubber sculptor's mallet and whacked them on as far as they would go.

The sound is not obnoxiously loud.  What I like most is the throaty grumble as opposed to the louder poppy sound of RH or VH pipes.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

Big Erik

• Ride Free
    • SC

• CVO1: '12 H-D FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: '14 H-D FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »

Thanks to all for the feedback and counsel.  Great insights and a great set of Forum members.

E.
'00 H-D FLHSTC
'12 H-D FLHXSE3
'14 H-D FLHTKSE (Fullsac DX 2" Core and baffles)

joe_lyons50023

• Full CVO Member
Re:
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:07:12 PM »

With either pipe or either tuner you will be happy.  Both the PV and the TTS will tune the bike great just different interfaces to do it.  You have to have a tuner that is capable first and use what they feel comfortable using.  I have not had an issue with the newer V&H power dual headpipes (with the better bungs) or the fullsac system.  Fuel moto also makes a great header pipe with some good mufflers also.

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.