Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Added larger fulsac baffles, smoke coming from one side now.  (Read 4574 times)

beefcake

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • Team Beefcake Racing
Added larger fulsac baffles, smoke coming from one side now.
« on: December 29, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »

the road king I picked up had 900 miles on it and a ful sac header pipe and the 1.75" baffles.

I ordered the larger baffles and put them in tonight.

started it up just to see how they sounded, plan on a retune with the super tuner.

the left side (driver I guess),  had smoke coming from the pipe.

I only let it run for about 2 or 3 minutes, but it hadn't cleared up.

I did have to tap that side with my crescent wrench to get it in, whereas the other side I was able to walk on.   

I pulled it out once to look at it before tapping it in.  Looking at the pipe it connects to at the front, it looked like there was a of some sort around the pipe that might have been pushing out, I don't know if there is a gasket around that pipe.  I'm wondering if tapping it like I did is causing the issue.  Or if it's just the tune with the other baffles, or if there might be something that needs to burn off.
2013 CVO Road King
Sold - 2012 CVO Ultra Glide
2011 Mustang GT - 1179 RWHP - 8.75@167mph

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
Re: Added larger fulsac baffles, smoke coming from one side now.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:53:03 PM »

Could be machining residue burning off, mine smoked a little but dissipated quickly.I can't see how you tapping on the pipe would have anything to do with it.
T-MAN 117 kit

TC44

• CVO1: 2008 Screamin Eagle Ultra 105th Anniversary Edition with a few mods.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »

b.c. :  May I ask why you didn't like the 1.75 baffles?  Were they too quiet for you or what?  What size did you order this time?  I just ordered my 1.75's.  should be here tom.  Would like to be informed of results as I am doing the same upgrade.
thanks,
TC
JOHN 3:16
Jesus is the reason for the season!

beefcake

• Full CVO Member

• Team Beefcake Racing
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:23:29 PM »

something else of note.  I just went out to start the bike and let it run for a few minutes.  I walked behind the bike,  and noticed that the air coming out of the passenger side of the bike is about 4 to 5 times the "strength" of the air coming out of the passenger side.

after about 2 to 3 minutes, it began to smoke again.   

b.c. :  May I ask why you didn't like the 1.75 baffles?  Were they too quiet for you or what?  What size did you order this time?  I just ordered my 1.75's.  should be here tom.  Would like to be informed of results as I am doing the same upgrade.
thanks,
TC

yes, too quiet for me
2013 CVO Road King

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »

New steel comes oiled to prevent corrosion. It will burn off, go ride it!.   :drummer:

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 10:57:59 PM »

beefcake, you will feel more pressure on the right side.  Exhaust (air) is like water....takes the path of least resistance.

By the way, the 1.75 baffles can be to loud after 15 hours in the saddle.....it's all relavant.  ;)

Like Steve said, just go ride it.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 12:07:05 AM »

thanks,
TC
If you plan on riding 2 up and climbing any steep hills or mountains you will be tickled you got the 1.75s running the blue ridge the 2 in beat me badly had to resort to earplugs, fortunately I had both sizes, bigger baffles sound great for the short haul but like JCZ stated can be deafening after long  hours in the saddle.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 08:48:08 AM »

beefcake, you will feel more pressure on the right side.  Exhaust (air) is like water....takes the path of least resistance.

By the way, the 1.75 baffles can be to loud after 15 hours in the saddle.....it's all relavant.  ;)

I got the 2 1/4 and like them. 8hrs w/gas stops is longest. Aint no such thing as a Harley being to loud, but then I worked on the flight deck.......been deaf for 30yrs!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

beefcake

• Full CVO Member

• Team Beefcake Racing
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »

I was wondering that with the fulsac mid pipe.   I know on a true dual, it's going to be pretty even.   But with the x pipe I was wondering if it would come out stronger on the right side.

i'll fire her up some more,  little cold for a ride.

As far as the sound.  I like sound, I want sound,  I want people to hear me.

After the vance and hines drag pipes on the Ultra,  I'm sure this will be a little quieter.   Sounded much better with the 2 1/4's for sure.
2013 CVO Road King

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 12:38:18 PM »

Its common for a 2-1-2 exhaust to flow more on the right side due to the left side having a longer flow path and often more restriction going through the crossover.  Some vendors actually make use of this with their mufflers by further restricting the left side baffle to make it more of a 2-1 exhaust which can increase torque.  As Steve indicated raw steel comes with a protective oil film unless something has been done to remove it during the manufacturing process.  I would expect this to burn off gradually in a few miles.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 06:42:26 PM »

I got the 2 1/4 and like them. 8hrs w/gas stops is longest. Aint no such thing as a Harley being to loud, but then I worked on the flight deck.......been deaf for 30yrs!!!

As was said in Christmas Vacation movie.  "2K you couldn't hear a truck full of nitroglycerin drive through your living room."

Working on a flight deck has got to be the worst job in the world for hearing.  Even with all the ear protection.  What kind of decibels did you experience?  Just curious.  I work with a man at the post office that also worked a flight deck for a small time and he also has hearing trouble.   

To me, people like 2k don't get the recognition they deserve for what they have done for our country and to make us the best country in the world.   

Thanks 2k for your service
Todd.
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 07:15:36 PM »

thanks,
TC

Install the 1.75" baffles. I think you'll like the sound, especially if you spend long days in the saddle. The BSR will thank you on the longer rides too.

Besides the 1.75" will bark just enough when you twist the throttle, and you'll love the torque you get if you use the complete Fullsac settup - it's addictive.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

TC44

• CVO1: 2008 Screamin Eagle Ultra 105th Anniversary Edition with a few mods.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 10:21:18 PM »

As was said in Christmas Vacation movie.  "2K you couldn't hear a truck full of nitroglycerin drive through your living room."

Working on a flight deck has got to be the worst job in the world for hearing.  Even with all the ear protection.  What kind of decibels did you experience?  Just curious.  I work with a man at the post office that also worked a flight deck for a small time and he also has hearing trouble.   

To me, people like 2k don't get the recognition they deserve for what they have done for our country and to make us the best country in the world.   

Todd.

Amen Tweeter 13!  Freedom comes with a great price.  My father served two tours in Nam.  He never actually talked about it but I can't even imagine what any combat veteran went through. A member of my MM brought back a reel to reel of a fire fight that was only about 3 mins. of the more than 45 min. attack.  He played it for us all on Veterans' Day.  It is a true miracle that any survived. 
Thank you 2K and all that served.  Because of GOD and your sacrifice we have the freedom we enjoy today.

May GOD bless you all and yours' with a happy and prosperous New Year!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:43:01 PM by TC44 »
JOHN 3:16
Jesus is the reason for the season!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »

1.75s are just right for me and co-rider. Friend has 2.00s and are a bit too loud for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »

Todd.
X2 When my Dad was in the Navy, he was in volved in some Atomic Bomb testing in the South Pacific. A while back he went for a physival and when the nurse asked him what the loudest noise he had ever been exposed to? His answer of course was, an Atomic Bomb :o
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.