Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: trip meter counts down now rather than up. ??  (Read 8719 times)

Mandrew13

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE
Re: trip meter counts down now rather than up. ??
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 07:43:37 PM »

And I do appreciate your help.  I have a battery tender cable that is attached on top of the battery cables I guess.  that is the only accessory.  It came with it.  I do keep the bike on the battery tender.  I keep the fob stored at least 15-20 feet away in a closet in another room.  But how does a fob cause the battery to wear down.  I sort of think of it as strictly an electrical interlock, not an electricity using device.  Harley claims that a battery is a wear and tear item but says everything is parts and labor for 2 years, regardless of mileage.  Has anybody else had Harley step up and replace their battery?  This battery is just under 2 years old and has about 15,000 miles of starting on it.  

My dealer replaced my battery for no charge when I started having the usual clock reset issue... Which isn't the same situation, but it is an example of a dealer replacing my battery for free. They acknowledged that my battery was still "good" but not good enough to prevent the issue from happening again.  Yes, my bike was still under warranty.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 11:30:15 PM »

Ask the dealer to show you in writing where the battery is a normal maintenance item and isn't covered by the factory two year warranty.  Unless something has changed recently they won't be able to do so.  A battery isn't like a pair of windshield wiper blades or brake pads that are considered wear items under most warranties.  And yes, even real wear items like brake pads are covered if they are defective, as opposed to just being worn out.

Jerry
(2012 Model)  "This warranty does not cover:  Parts and labor for normal maintenance as recommended in the owner's manual, or the replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear including, but not limited to, the following:  tires, lubrication, oil and filter change, fuel system cleaning, "battery maintenance", engine tune-up, spark plugs, brake, clutch, chain/belt adjustment and chain replacement."
Now are you implying that this language says that they may still put a new battery in if it is keeping the bike from starting??  Pork.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 08:47:57 AM »

(2012 Model)  "This warranty does not cover:  Parts and labor for normal maintenance as recommended in the owner's manual, or the replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear including, but not limited to, the following:  tires, lubrication, oil and filter change, fuel system cleaning, "battery maintenance", engine tune-up, spark plugs, brake, clutch, chain/belt adjustment and chain replacement."
Now are you implying that this language says that they may still put a new battery in if it is keeping the bike from starting??  Pork.

What that says is the warranty won't pay to maintain your otherwise good battery, so if you just have dirty and loose terminals they won't pay for that, nor will they pay if the only problem is that the battery is allowed to sit and discharge.  It does not say it won't pay for a defective battery.  The warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship, including the battery.

The way to determine if the battery is defective or not is through a simple load test.  Dealers have the necessary equipment, as do most auto parts stores.  And just because the battery is nearly two years old doesn't mean it can't be defective.  I recently had a car battery replaced that failed at exactly one year.  It started and ran fine one day, it would barely light the dome light the next morning.  Testing confirmed it had suffered a major internal failure.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 09:09:21 PM »

Jerry, I appreciate your explanation and clarification.  Today they told me the battery was good.  They put it on a tester and it (a $10K they said) and it said the battery was good.  However, in the next breath the S.W. said he put in on something and it said the battery was 50%.  So, I told him the battery is not starting the bike very well, so maybe it is the starter, or the battery is only 50% in which case it should be replaced.  He said he couldn't do that if their equipment said it was good.  So, I told him I am going to persue this one with customer service HD.  He said ok.  so, that is what I intend to do.  also, they said my speed is defective so in 7 to 10 days I will get a new speedometer and the issue with the r low and the fuel light coming on should go away.......... what a bummer.   I hate having the dealership keep my bike warm at night.  :-(   Pork.    But they won't  replace the battery........

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »

Update 1/29/2014  I called Harley customer service on Monday like I said I was going to do and they took my info and assigned me a case #.  So, I called the store yesterday while the bike is still on the rack for the speedo issue.  I instructed them to call customer service and get info from them.  so that is what is happening right now.  I feel like I'm sort of caught in the middle of a losing battle here.  Believe it or not, they are both on the same side of the $$ and I am on the other side trying to get a new battery......  I was told that they should see the speedo probably yesterday and then they can get it installed and get me back on the road.    what a process!   Pork.

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 11:31:31 AM »

Decided to approach this starting and light issue a little different.

My theory is that the standard softtail battery ( approx. 280 CCA ) doesn't have enough amps to turn over a cold 110 engine. The battery size is limited do to space.  Touring bikes have around 300 CCA with larger area to put battery, but still have trouble with a cold 110 engine.

I should be receiving a 500 CCA battery that will fit my Convertible over the weekend.   Will see how much of a difference it makes.  Friend just put one in his Street Glide 110 and it doesn't seem to hesitate at all when cold.   It is certainly cold here now.  Will give a report.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 11:33:22 AM »

well, an update.  Yesterday I was told they got the new speedo and got it installed and calibrated.  Andddddddd they installed a new battery.  So, because it's us vs them, I guess when you are up against the wall, call HD customer service as your last leverage.  Don't know who convinced whom, but they did replace the battery.  But, Ozarke, please do publish what type of battery you are getting that it has 500 CCA. sounds like a monster.  And a picture also.    Pork.

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »

I got the battery today.  Not installed yet or check for fitment.   Will post once I have had a chance to test it out.

Here is a link to the website.     http://powersportbatteries.com/harley-davidson-softail-motorcycle-batteries/2209-harley-2010-flstse-cvo-softail-convertible-1803-motorcycl-battery-hd.html

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 11:30:46 PM »

I am hoping for you.  Mine today was 270 CCA.  Yours is almost double.  plus no tax and free shipping.  I look forward to your report.  If it is good for a 201, it will no doubt fit a 2011 and 2012.  I sure had a fun time riding home today even if it was 41 degrees and I forgot my chaps.    Bike ran strong.   I know it is only about a month before we get to spring and nicer weather.   the porkster.

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »

Pork, hope your troubles are behind you.  I know its been very frustrating.

JB

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »

Thanks, JB, yeah, sometimes it seems it is more frustration than enjoyment.  However, I have said for a long time I feel better when a vehicle is off warranty as that period is usually no more than the time that you have to fight with the manufacturer or the dealership for what should be an easy task- fix it like you said you would do.  So, having most everything taken care of at this point, I am almost ready to sit back and ride and enjoy.  All of us (including the moco and dealership) were all on the same page at one time---enjoying the bike that is the finest ever made, etc......   :-)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.