Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Hydraulic clutch lever hard to pull..  (Read 18486 times)

subaqua

Hydraulic clutch lever hard to pull..
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »

Hey everybody..
I traded my 2009 Street Bob with 2104 CVO Softail Deluxe on the weekend.
The hydraulic clutch lever seem hard to pull. Is it normal? Can these be adjusted?

Thank you..

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Re: Hydraulic clutch lever hard to pull..
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:19 PM »

Not so sure about a 2104, ( they keep pushing the model intro up!) all kidding aside check another one on showroom  floor.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Mount'nman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: FXSBSE (2014)
    • Family Web Site
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 11:56:19 PM »

It should NOT be hard to pull...  Should be smooth operation through out the range of motion.
Bike... and family protected by Ruger

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:57:14 AM »

The clutch spring on a CVO110 bike is stronger than the one on a standard model, but not enough to make the clutch lever truly hard to pull.  You need to have the dealer check it out, and the previous suggestion is right on the money.  Compare yours to another CVO rather than just listen to a dealership person tell you "it's normal" or "they are all like that".

As for adjustments, there are none with the hydraulic clutch.  Think of it as similar to a brake system; it is self adjusting for wear and maintenance is basically changing fluid and bleeding all the air out of the system.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

subaqua

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »

Thank you very much all for the replies..
I'll be at the dealer this week and will have it checked..
Also, compare with the others...

Thanks..

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 01:51:15 AM »

It's been a while since this topic was active, but by the number of views it has had, the harder clutch issue must be a bigger problem than suspected.

Just wondering how you made out with your hard to pull clutch?

Reason for asking is my wife has been riding a '06 Ultra and is looking at a new 2015 Limited, but finds the clutch way harder.

On her '06 we put in the little gizmo (not sure what it's called) to make the clutch real easy, but that cannot be done with the hydraulic clutch.

Part of the problem is that she recently dislocated her thumb (which at the time looked worse that Joe Theisman's leg, if you know what I mean) and the docs all say it would have been better if she had broken it with dislocations taking much longer to heal and they typically never to completely heal.

Anyway, we are now looking at removing the hydraulic clutch all together and putting one on similar to her old bike so that we can use the gizmo again.

Your thoughts are welcome before we start this project.  Thanks in advance for any and all advise.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:56:02 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 08:41:20 AM »

Grizzly, before you try to convert to a cable system you might want to check the threads around here on the ClutchWIZ.  I remember a lot of glowing reviews from folks who've installed it to reduce lever effort.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 12:15:54 PM »

Grizzly, before you try to convert to a cable system you might want to check the threads around here on the ClutchWIZ.  I remember a lot of glowing reviews from folks who've installed it to reduce lever effort.

Jerry
I don't believe it will work with the new slipper clutch. Isn't that what all the Rushedmore bikes with hydro clutches have?
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 01:04:32 PM »

I know mine is the new hydraulic clutch which is just like the brake. When Compared to my old CVO the pull is easier. When I compare the pull to my old Ultra the pull seems like it may be a little harder. Overall I would say it is no harder. I recall someone else had a similar thought that the pull was harder. I think he said his wrist would start hurting. When on the road with typical clutch action I don't have any issues. I drive downtown everyday and even while  in Daytona my hand would start to get tired but I think that is normal. I am talking about a lot of stopping and slow moving.

The location of the level can also be adjusted. If the lever is not in the right place in relationship with how you have your hand on the grip the pull can feel harder and you will get tired much quicker.

You may have your wife test drive, or better yet rent, a bike and see how it does.

Just my 2 cents!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »

I don't believe it will work with the new slipper clutch. Isn't that what all the Rushedmore bikes with hydro clutches have?

I'm not sure.  I did just go to the ClutchWIZ site and they have added an update that it won't work on a 2014 Tri-Glide, but they don't talk about the 2014 and later Touring models.  I would think though that if it won't work on the Tri-Glide, it won't work on the rest of the RushedMore bikes either.

One of the things about the late model clutches (Assist & Slip) is that they reduced the spring rate which would also reduce the clutch lever effort.  If someone finds a 2014/2015 clutch lever effort to be unmanageable, they would have had a much bigger problem with an earlier model 110.  I wonder if in some cases it isn't more about the reach to the lever rather than the actual effort.  Unfortunately that lever reach isn't adjustable, other than by coming up with a smaller diameter grip if possible.

Jerry

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 02:02:20 PM »

Thanks for the input.

We actually did rent a 2015 Limited Low for her to try out, which is when she realized she had a problem working the clutch with her hand.

We spent the better part of the day riding down and back along the Natchez Trace (just love that ride) and she did great, with no problems at all... Of course there isn't many stops along the way to concern yourself with and even when we went off to stop for lunch she was okay.

After lunch we got back onto the Trace for another hour or so and when we got into traffic with lots of stops and long lights is when the pain started.  After 20 minutes in traffic it got so bad she just could operate the clutch any longer and we had to take a break.  We did manage to get back to the dealer eventually, but now are faced with this problem.

Continue therapy on her hand is a given, then either stick with the hydraulic system and hope for the best and if need be switch out for an old style cable system and put an "easy clutch" gizmo in, or look for an older used bike with a cable system already there and add the easy clutch gizmo???

The other option I've been informed of is with the hydraulic system many (especially the police who are complaining about the clutches on the newer bikes) many are changing to a adjustable clutch lever.

http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/Adjustable_Levers_Harley-Davidson.html

Not sure if anyone has used these or not, but would love to hear your input on this idea or any other solution you may have to assist us getting her on the right bike... And I personally would rather her on a 2015 Low model as appose to buying a 3 or 4 year old bike and putting a lowering kit on.

Again, your input is very much appreciated.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 02:08:39 PM »

I'm not sure.  I did just go to the ClutchWIZ site and they have added an update that it won't work on a 2014 Tri-Glide, but they don't talk about the 2014 and later Touring models.  I would think though that if it won't work on the Tri-Glide, it won't work on the rest of the RushedMore bikes either.

One of the things about the late model clutches (Assist & Slip) is that they reduced the spring rate which would also reduce the clutch lever effort.  If someone finds a 2014/2015 clutch lever effort to be unmanageable, they would have had a much bigger problem with an earlier model 110.  I wonder if in some cases it isn't more about the reach to the lever rather than the actual effort.  Unfortunately that lever reach isn't adjustable, other than by coming up with a smaller diameter grip if possible.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

As you were posting I was posting as well and mention these adjustable clutch levers your were wondering about.

Just so everyone understands our situation, my wife has been riding Ultras since 2005 and has close to 300,000 under her belt.  However, they have not been CVO's with 110's, but regular Ultras although she has ridden my '05 SEEG a number of times.

So she is coming from a 96 to a 103 which will make a difference.  Even bigger considering her 96 was equipped with an easy clutch.

Harley claims that the new hydraulic clutches on the 14's and 15's are 23% easier, but I think my '08 Duracell is much easier!

Hopefully with everyone's help on this site, we can come up with a solution to keep her in the saddle.

Thanks again!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 03:54:50 PM »

Unfortunately those "short reach" or adjustable levers can't repeal the laws of physics.  If the lever is made to sit closer to the grip, then you will have less travel of the master cylinder piston when you pull the lever, which will then mean less travel for the clutch release mechanism.  Less travel at the pressure plate means more clutch drag, which will affect shifting. 

The problem doesn't really go away on a cable clutch either when you modify the lever or use one of those aftermarket "easy clutch" kits.  You are still trading clutch release travel for lever effort; it's just easier to disguise the issue on a cable bike because of the freeplay adjustments available on a cable clutch.  Eliminate enough freeplay to make up for the lost travel of the new lever or easy clutch mechanism, and you can easily create a slipping clutch problem and premature wear.

I fully understand the issue of small hands and the reach to the lever, because I have relatively small hands and short fingers myself.  If there really was a way to make one of the short reach levers work on a hydraulic clutch, you may rest assured I would have done it long ago.

Jerry

Oh, btw, the Assist & Slip Clutch only comes on the CVO and Trike bikes, not the 103 models for 2014/2015.  And all the clutches are hydraulic these days.  See if one of the regular 103 models is more to your wife's liking.  It's probably better to give up the CVO bling than it would be to suffer with the CVO or have to change out the entire clutch system.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:19:46 PM by grc »

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 01:09:50 AM »

Unfortunately those "short reach" or adjustable levers can't repeal the laws of physics.  If the lever is made to sit closer to the grip, then you will have less travel of the master cylinder piston when you pull the lever, which will then mean less travel for the clutch release mechanism.  Less travel at the pressure plate means more clutch drag, which will affect shifting. 

The problem doesn't really go away on a cable clutch either when you modify the lever or use one of those aftermarket "easy clutch" kits.  You are still trading clutch release travel for lever effort; it's just easier to disguise the issue on a cable bike because of the freeplay adjustments available on a cable clutch.  Eliminate enough freeplay to make up for the lost travel of the new lever or easy clutch mechanism, and you can easily create a slipping clutch problem and premature wear.

I fully understand the issue of small hands and the reach to the lever, because I have relatively small hands and short fingers myself.  If there really was a way to make one of the short reach levers work on a hydraulic clutch, you may rest assured I would have done it long ago.

Jerry

Oh, btw, the Assist & Slip Clutch only comes on the CVO and Trike bikes, not the 103 models for 2014/2015.  And all the clutches are hydraulic these days.  See if one of the regular 103 models is more to your wife's liking.  It's probably better to give up the CVO bling than it would be to suffer with the CVO or have to change out the entire clutch system.

Thanks for your comments Jerry.

I'm sorry if I misled anyone, but my wife is not looking at the CVO Limited... She is looking at the regular Limited only in the Low model.

She is 5'2" and tips the scales at 115lbs (soaking wet) but she sure can handle her '06 Ultra like the best of 'em, and her '97 Ultra prior to that.

I'm very proud of her and how she has graduated over the years starting out on a 250 Honda Rebel for 3 years, then a Dyna Low Rider for the next 5 years and then  took over my '97 Ultra when I purchased my '05 SEEG.

She absolutely loves to ride and now that her '06 has so many miles on it, it's time for a new bike and she really likes the '15 Limited Low, except for the tough clutch!  Her two previous Ultra we equipped with H-D lowering kits front & rear, so the Low model is perfect for her, plus all the improvements since 2006 is a real treat.  We just have to figure out the best way to make the clutch easier to operate.

She also has a Deluxe but with the custom paint job and special signature on the tank, she doesn't ride it too much - just for short day trips and to shows.  We do a lot of touring and for her the Ultra is the only way to go and hopefully we get this clutch concern figured out for the 2015 or we'll be looking for a used Ultra with low miles on it, but that is not our preference only a compromise.

Here she is with getting her custom painted Deluxe autographed by her childhood heartthrob a few years ago. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:13:06 AM by Grizzly »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 03:31:24 AM »

Grizzly I am really surprised she finds the clutch hard to pull on the limited low. I am 5'6 and found the low to almost be too small. I loved the reduced primary cover and transmission cover and the fact that I could flat foot. I hated the handle bars but the grips were tiny and allows you to get more finger to the clutch and brake lever.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 20 queries.