Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about replacing rear air shocks on Ultra  (Read 1047 times)

Z man

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic CVO
Questions about replacing rear air shocks on Ultra
« on: January 27, 2014, 11:46:37 AM »

I am preparing to replace the air shocks on my 2010 Ultra but I need some help.  I have new Progressive 944’s ready to go and I have consulted my Harley Service Manual for the removal instructions but I find them a bit confusing.  First, it says the air shock must always be kept upright and if oil leaks from them, they must be replaced. Is this true? If I ever trade this bike for another, I hope to take the Progressive shocks off for the new bike and put the original air shocks back on.  Second, what should I do with the airlines so they can be used again at a future date?  Can they be tucked away somehow for reuse?
Thanks a MILLION in advance
Z man

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Questions about replacing rear air shocks on Ultra
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »

YES & YES. Don't allow them to turn over until you plug the air line hole hole. Even then it is best to leave them up right. I put mine in a shoe box and left the line & schrader valve connected. Tape them together and tape the box shut and mark this side up and place on end in an out of the way place.....somewhere your kids won't be tempted to 'take a look'. You will never go back to the cheesey air shocks again!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 03:13:01 PM »

Easy change , remove bolts top and bottom store old shocks upright . Fit new shocks with the bolts adjust shocks to suit. I would start stuff and work back in small increments  until your happy. I left the boxes off until I was sure .
Replace your sure shocks before selling.

If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 05:06:40 PM »

I ran a zip-tie through the upper shock mounts and hung them on a hook with the air lines still attached.  They'll sit there collecting dust until I sell the bike.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 21 queries.