Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to remove battery?  (Read 7565 times)

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
how to remove battery?
« on: February 01, 2014, 02:39:55 PM »

What is the process to remove the battery?  The bikes alarm starts blasting even with the fob near.  I've read to bike the switch in the run position (bikes lights turn on etc.) Then remove negative terminal. Is this right? Just seems like I could smoke some electronics

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: how to remove battery?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »

What is the process to remove the battery?  The bikes alarm starts blasting even with the fob near.  I've read to bike the switch in the run position (bikes lights turn on etc.) Then remove negative terminal. Is this right? Just seems like I could smoke some electronics

Yes, you have to actually switch the ignition on with the fob nearby to deactivate the security system.  Once you do that, remove the master fuse (the big sucker).  Then you can disconnect the battery cables and change the battery.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 03:19:06 PM »

I pulled the 75 but all the electronics are still on.

Just notice it was 7.5  where is the big sucker  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:20:54 PM by Mach »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 03:52:15 PM »

I pulled the 75 but all the electronics are still on.

Just notice it was 7.5  where is the big sucker  

The one you want is the 40 amp "main" fuse.  If you look at the cable coming from the battery positive terminal, it splits into two cables, one going directly to the starter and the other goes to the main fuse.  It should be located on the outside of the battery box if I remember correctly.  Harley has moved them around a little over the years, but as long as you follow the cable from the battery you will find it.  I don't have an illustration, but your owner manual should have one.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:16:45 PM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

0815error

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 "lemon"
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »

short how to:
remove
- Fob in the pocket
- switch on the bike
- remove the main fuse
- first disconnect - pole
- secound disconnect + pole
- remove the battery

fitting
- Fob in the pocket
- mount the battery
- first connect + pole
- secound connect - pole
- connet the main fuse
beep, beep  ;D bike is on
I love lemon bikes, because "sour gets you happy"  (a common German saying)

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:12:52 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial on changing the battery.   I am switching the battery in the next few days, so this was timely.   

I disconnected the battery once before and the siren came on and it sure is loud in a garage.  Almost lost my hearing trying to figure out how to get it stopped.  I was delaying the procedure due to fear.  :'(

Now I will get it ready and hope for warmer weather.

0815error

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »

Jep, thats the reason for the points Fob -> switch on -> disconnect fuse.
In this time line the security system is off and you disconnect the battery in a safety status.
If you disconnect the battery without switch-on or disconnected fuse the security system is thinking  :oops: you are a bad boy  :stop:
sorry for my English

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 01:55:30 PM »

Thanks!  My battery is 3 years old.  I have a Tmax and the pro performance kit installed.  My battery dies if it's been setting for a week.  I can't use a trickle charger because I site my bike in my enclosed trailer that's store in our community boat sheds. I just bought a solar panel I need a plan it wire that up to keep my battery happy or I'll be changing it every 3 years. I hope it's the battery.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »

Thanks!  My battery is 3 years old.  I have a Tmax and the pro performance kit installed.  My battery dies if it's been setting for a week.  I can't use a trickle charger because I site my bike in my enclosed trailer that's store in our community boat sheds. I just bought a solar panel I need a plan it wire that up to keep my battery happy or I'll be changing it every 3 years. I hope it's the battery.

These days changing the battery every three years isn't all that unusual.  Batteries seemed to last longer ten to fifteen years ago, but the last few I've owned (cars and bike) can't seem to make it past three years even though they are kept fully charged all the time.  I'm convinced it has to do with cheapening in the manufacturing process, which has plagued many products.

If you don't ride often enough to keep the battery fully charged, and you can't use a Battery Tender, then I'd suggest you disconnect the battery during long periods of inactivity.  You could install a marine battery isolator (disconnect) switch to make it easier to disconnect without removing the seat if you don't mind doing a little basic wiring modification.

Jerry

0815error

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 03:34:34 PM »

You could install a marine battery isolator (disconnect) switch to make it easier to disconnect without removing the seat if you don't mind doing a little basic wiring modification.

Jerry

Keep in mind, if you disconnect the battery direct with a "main switch" the security system is thinking you are a bad boy, and you will get the siren sound like ozarke wrote.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 07:49:46 PM »

And you may lose your clock setting as well
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 08:03:30 PM »

Keep in mind, if you disconnect the battery direct with a "main switch" the security system is thinking you are a bad boy, and you will get the siren sound like ozarke wrote.

Only if you don't follow the procedure.  Fob nearby, turn ignition on, then disconnect.  As for the clock setting, I was only talking about if you have no other option like a Battery Tender.  If the alternatives are to disconnect to keep the battery from discharging OR leave the battery hooked up during long periods of inactivity just to keep the clock running, I think keeping the battery charged so I could start the bike would be more important.  Btw, there are other ways to keep the clock and things like radio presets without the vehicle battery.  The one I use plugs into the cigar lighter and uses a 9V battery to keep various memories and settings while changing a vehicle battery for instance.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:46:56 PM by grc »

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »

Just and update.  Thanks everyone it worked great! 

I always hate when someone asked a question but never follows up if the answers worked or not.

0815error

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: You're welcome!

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.