Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower one inch on SERK  (Read 2615 times)

TonyP

• Tony P
  • Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2013 CVO SERK
Lower one inch on SERK
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:18:05 AM »

Would like to lower the rear on my 2013 SERK 1 in.

Any thoughts?

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Re: Lower one inch on SERK
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »

new seat. I would not lower another inch or your ride will suffer. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »

If you can do it without reducing clearance I would go for it if it makes you more stable.  Otherwise,  I wouldn't as we have too little clearance already compared to other bikes on the road.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

TonyP

• Tony P
  • Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »

i want too lower just one inch, plus I ride solo anyways.  How would I know the ride suffers?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »

I am going to the 300mm (11 3/4") Bitubo;s from Traxxion and was told the ride does not suffer. I am doing this to replace the stock rear shocks in my SESG, not for height since I put a Corbin solo on that was narrowed in the nose and lowered which made a big difference. If you are just looking to have flatter feet on the ground, start with the seat. If you want the look, be careful how low you go since the ride can suffer on bumps and when leaning into turns. I went with Progressive 11 1/2 years ago and every bump hurt.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 07:34:47 PM »

With shorter shocks you have less travel and will bottom the suspension out more than standard. You will also loose ground clearance and will start scraping parts sooner on turns and bumps etc.
Are you trying to lower bike just for looks or are you trying to feel more sure footed in parking lots? If it is to reach the ground in parking lots then the above suggestion is good to consider.
Other riders on this site with leg reach issues have had a seat maker narrow the nose of the seat to bring legs closer together to gain some reach, others have added an inch or two to their boot soles to be more flat footed. Some members have spent the money on an air suspension with an on board compressor to be able to raise and lower the bike as needed too.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »

Would like to lower the rear on my 2013 SERK 1 in.

Any thoughts?

You are a candidate for air ride as you can lower the bike when you need to flat foot and air it back up to ride and have full suspension travel. Lowered shocks reduce your suspension travel.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

TonyP

• Tony P
  • Junior CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:30:36 AM »

WOW!! You guys are the experts here.. Didn't think one inch can make a difference.  Thanks for the input fellas.  I think the main reason is for looks and I like sitting low on the bike.  I already have a mustang low profile solo seat with back rest on it.  I guess i need to figure out what I want to sacrifice. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »

WOW!! You guys are the experts here.. Didn't think one inch can make a difference.  Thanks for the input fellas.  I think the main reason is for looks and I like sitting low on the bike.  I already have a mustang low profile solo seat with back rest on it.  I guess i need to figure out what I want to sacrifice. 

The SERK comes from the factory already lowered one inch, so when you say you want to lower it another inch that's really like lowering a standard bike two inches.  That is a lot, and the bike wasn't designed for that.  Others have already mentioned the loss of ride quality, and that loss will be substantial.  There is also the possible clearance problems of the fender (and wiring) to tire, the adverse affect on handling and safety, etc..  In other words, it's a very bad idea.

The "tail dragger look" popularized in the magazines may look cool to some, but those bikes are rarely actually ridden for more than a short hop to the nearest bar.  If you plan to ride your SERK like the touring model it is, you will be better off forgetting about lowering it any further.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »

Puzzled is right, if for looks air suspension is the way to go. You can slam it on the ground when parked and raise it back up to ride safely. You can buy one from many manufactures or if you are a do it yourself kind of guy this is a good read. There are a few on here that went this route and seem to be happy. http://choppedbaggers.com/forums/showthread.php?2938-Air-ride-101
T-MAN 117 kit

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »

If you want to drag the jiffy stand, frame, floorboards,once even an oil cooler line and it slowed me down because of less lean angle, go ahead lower it. Bought a lowered Road King...loved the bike but HATED that it was lowered. Speed humps,curbs,friends driveways,railroad tracks all PITA. It did LOOK good when sitting still, thats the only good thing I can say about lowering a bike.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.