Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Battery life of Fob  (Read 7905 times)

sjr

• Full CVO Member
  • The hotter the Fire.....The Stronger the Steel
Battery life of Fob
« on: February 17, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »

I wonder if anyone else has wondered about this. let's say my bike is in the garage and the security fob is is the saddlebag. At this point the security system is not armed.

Or..2nd scenario, bike is in garage and fob is in the house. Security system is armed now.

What is the difference regarding the drain, if any on the fob battery?

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Battery life of Fob
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:04:24 PM »

I change the battery once a year whether it needs it or not.  I've had one die on a road trip, and it's a PITA to enter the code every time you start the bike.
The best you've had is the best you know.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »

Personally, I think I'd also buy a fresh battery, leave it in the packaging, and stash it on the bike just in case the one in the fob dies out in the boonies.  Most of these button batteries don't have a "good until " date on them like the flashlight type batteries, so it's hard to tell if you're getting fresh stuff at the local drugstore or some crap that's been sitting around for a decade or two.

As far as I can tell, the fob is active any time there's a battery in it, so I don't think it's going to make a difference if you leave the fob near the bike or store it in the house a long way from the bike. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

0815error

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 "lemon"
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 05:48:27 PM »

Hi sjr

first, i change my Fob battery every year after the winter just for safety reasons.
It's a 20cent piece and nothing is worse than a empty battery on a long road.

1nd scenario
....let's say my bike is in the garage and the security fob is is the saddlebag. At this point the security system is not armed.
Thats not fully correct, if you switch of the engine the new TSSM (after 07) go automatically armed after ca. 5sec.
Bud if you move or shake/put up the bike, the TSSM is checking the Fob and "think all is OK".

2nd scenario, bike is in garage and fob is in the house. Security system is armed now.
Thats correct, if you move or shake/put up the bike, the TSSM is checking the Fob an think "oh no Fob thats bad" , beep beep, beep .......

With the new TSSM (after 07) the Fob will be only activated/requested if you move or shake/put up the bike.
To save the bike battery, after 20 days (parking) autmatically starts the storage mode and the security system will complete shut down, starter and injection are switched off and the Fob are no longer detected.

Finally, I think for the Fob battery life is no difference if it on the bike or in the house.

Sorry for my English.
I love lemon bikes, because "sour gets you happy"  (a common German saying)

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:57:08 PM »

On my 03 road king. it had the manual arm and disarm button. it still had the original battery in the fob when I traded it in, in 2012. my 2010 ultra the keys stayed on the bike in the garage and it only lasted 1.5yrs. the second remote kept in the house made it 2yrs before the battery died in it. don't know if it was just junk batteries or keeping them on the bikes. my 12 vrod is starting to act like my ultra did when the battery was going south. left the keys on it while i am tinkering with it and now I can move it and it wont go off the next time it will. dont like the whole self arming thing but it might be draining the fob battery to keep the alarm signaled all the time that the keys are on it. don't know. or they are just junk HD batteries. been changing them every year or so since mine went dead and keep an extra on the bikes just incase.  
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:08:58 PM »

i know that i am in  the minority, but i don't see any need to 'preemptively' buy batteries, or buy extras to leave lying around to self discharge.  i will wait until needed befor ei buy them.  i agree with 0815error above, i don't think there is going to be an appreciable difference in the life of your fob battery in either scenario.

i think the smartest thing you can do is to learn how to use your override code.  that way, when your battery finally does die (i've had one last for over 3 years before), you can use your code to start your bike.  takes all of 10 seconds.  then you can stop at any dollar store, walmart, etc. and pick you up a new one and swap it out.  at your convenience.

another big reason to learn the code, you may find that you've parked in an area where there is some rf interference and your bike won't recognize your fob.  instead of pushing your bike around the parking lot to find the 'sweet spot', just use your thumbs and you'll be on your way.

the only caveat here is that if your bike is picking up the fob signal, at all, it won't go into override mode.  so sometimes you'll find yourself in an area where enough signal is getting through for your bike to know a fob is there, but not enough to allow it to start.  in that case, just take your fob 10 ft or so away or let a bud hold it far enough away so that you can go into override mode, and start your bike.

On my 03 road king. it had the manual arm and disarm button. it still had the original battery in the fob when I traded it in, in 2012. my 2010 ultra the keys stayed on the bike in the garage and it only lasted 1.5yrs. the second remote kept in the house made it 2yrs before the battery died in it. don't know if it was just junk batteries or keeping them on the bikes.

it wasn't either.  the older push button style alarm was able to keep batteries longer, because of the way the alarm worked.  in 07, when they switched to the proximity alarm, batteries didn't last as long.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:12:03 PM by ekim60 »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 09:07:10 PM »

another good reason to learn the code and how to enter!! lets just say you park your bike in the garage and maybe you have say a coat rack right beside your bike and just suppose you hang your fob on the coat rack that is right beside your bike. then a day or two later the urge to ride hits!! so, you jump on take off 50 miles up the road and stop for fuel and a coca cola. you drink a refreshing drink and get ready to ride off and the bike will not start. lets just say or suppose you spend 20-30 minutes trying to figure why my bike WILL NOT start. then you remember where your fob is.................................. then lets just guess what you do next. i will call a friend, honey what are you doing could you look on the coat rack and see if a black fob is there, well do you know where the little store and gas station is......................... what are you mad!!!! just suppose!! learn the sequence and the code. do it :2vrolijk_21: that could  possibily happen!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:08:49 PM by smkymtnboy »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »

Where do you buy them for 20 cents :nixweiss:

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:53:46 PM »

Where do you buy them for 20 cents :nixweiss:
i am thinking he bought them in germany.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:03:28 PM »

another good reason to learn the code and how to enter!! lets just say you park your bike in the garage and maybe you have say a coat rack right beside your bike and just suppose you hang your fob on the coat rack that is right beside your bike. then a day or two later the urge to ride hits!! so, you jump on take off 50 miles up the road and stop for fuel and a coca cola. you drink a refreshing drink and get ready to ride off and the bike will not start. lets just say or suppose you spend 20-30 minutes trying to figure why my bike WILL NOT start. then you remember where your fob is.................................. then lets just guess what you do next. i will call a friend, honey what are you doing could you look on the coat rack and see if a black fob is there, well do you know where the little store and gas station is......................... what are you mad!!!! just suppose!! learn the sequence and the code. do it :2vrolijk_21: that could  possibily happen!
...gets even worse when you are at the neighborhood strip club!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 10:08:55 PM »

...gets even worse when you are at the neighborhood strip club!
  :o

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 11:02:18 PM »

FOB is an active device.  Unlike RFID tags, the power does not come from the reader, it has to transmit all the time.  So near of far from bike, battery will drain...  But you don't wanna known how fast.  Believe me...

That being said, I found 100 sony batteries on eBay for 3$ and believe it, it came from USA.  Good quality. 

So, I suggest changing batteries every 1st of April... I'll remember you.  Batteries in the fire alarm have to be changed on December 24th, btw...

So, don't take a chance to save 3 cents!

that's my 2 cents....

Dah

0815error

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 "lemon"
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 02:26:07 AM »

I agree with dahsen an his "timeline" above.
"So near of far from bike, battery will drain...  But you don't wanna known how fast.  Believe me..."
I don't like avoidable trouble on the road, I'm to lazy to hope the crazy fingertips will work in such case.

@ Rooster
It's a standard CR 2032 Lithium button cell, no reason to buy the $2.00 "66373-06 Replacement Battery".
I'm buying a 10-pack or more with a couple of friends, so we have the batterys fresh every new season.
I'm sure you will find a cheap solution in the "www" or in your local shop.

FYI
a new CR 2032 ca 3.3V
from 3.0V should be to replaced
2.9V or less the battery is practically empty/waste
for longer trips I put one in my wallet
I love lemon bikes, because "sour gets you happy"  (a common German saying)

sjr

• Full CVO Member
  • The hotter the Fire.....The Stronger the Steel
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »

As usual....a bunch of great answers from a bunch of great guys, thanks!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 09:27:01 AM »

Well I know for sure you don't want to buy a FOB battery from the dealer :nervous:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 21 queries.