Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Fp3  (Read 17343 times)

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE 2014
Re: Fp3
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »

I agree that for anything more than headers and slipons you will be better off with something else. In my case that is all I am planning to do. I am using V&H power duals and monster rounds. I wanted those anyway since I love the sound on my other bike (I have dresser duals on that one but sound will be similar...a little quieter in fact, which is what I want on the highway.) It is the cheapest way for me to do it with that setting. No tuning, just download the right map and I am done.
I have seen a number of good reviews so far...

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 01:38:11 PM »

I cannot answer for anyone but ourselves but if you plan is to collect data and then make corrections from the data collected Blue tooth doesn't cut it. The through put is really to slow for proper collection of the ECM data. We tested this about 2 years ago and determined that if we were to go wireless it would need to be something better than Blue tooth to get accurate data.

I guess a lot of things have changed in the last 2 years, as the
Techno Research "Maximus" is going to be launched very soon. It will do everything I was asking about and much, much more... all off of the iPhone via Bluetooth!
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 03:05:54 PM »

I guess a lot of things have changed in the last 2 years, as the
Techno Research "Maximus" is going to be launched very soon. It will do everything I was asking about and much, much more... all off of the iPhone via Bluetooth!

If there is a new interface electronics that collects and Holds/stores data, then fine. If not, Blue Tooth by today's standards is still to slow to handle live data at the speeds of today's HD LAN system. While it has gotten better than two years ago you would have to be sure that you had the latest and greatest on both ends. Now if you don't care about the speed and you go back to the slower data collection rates you can do it but who wants to do that?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:03:39 PM by Steve Cole »
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 03:16:27 PM »

What exactly is this "Maximus"?  A quick internet search doesn't exactly reveal much in the way of detail, just some vague teaser stuff.  I thought Techno Research was the Direct Link company; is this related to Direct Link or a different product altogether?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hilly13

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 05:40:39 PM »

Same stable Jerry, not giving much away are they, we will have to wait and see

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »

What exactly is this "Maximus"?  A quick internet search doesn't exactly reveal much in the way of detail, just some vague teaser stuff.  I thought Techno Research was the Direct Link company; is this related to Direct Link or a different product altogether?

Jerry
Since the Admin changed the name of this thread (that I started) and gave it to somebody else that posted 5 hrs later, I will speak about Maximus elsewhere...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 08:22:19 PM »

Since the Admin changed the name of this thread (that I started) and gave it to somebody else that posted 5 hrs later, I will speak about Maximus elsewhere...
FlaHeatWave,
You need to get your facts straight... The original post in this thread was posted  March 12, 2014, 09:16:39 AM and they were speaking of the Bluetooth capabilities of this accessory....
I'm wondering if this rally is a breakthrough in tuning?
I guess it's nice having Bluetooth connection and someone to look at your tune (if you choose)

I've got a '12 SE 110 that I'm thinking of replacing the cam and hate the idea of taking the bike to the dealer (have a SERT) and paying to have it dyno'd when I can buy the FP3 and do it myself for the same $$$

Any thoughts?
and your post was March 12, 2014, 04:41:27 PM almost 8 hours later..
Why aren't the TTS, DynoJet, and the rest of the Tuner Manufacturers Bluetoothing similar to this?

http://fp3.vanceandhines.com/#fuelpakfp3

'Seems that all that would be needed is a 2 way Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the diagnostic port and the apps???

I know the V&H is just a "fueler" but this (Bluetooth) is the way everything is going...
I would suggest if you have information you want to post on this subject you continue posting in this thread instead of creating a duplicate thread just because your thread was merged with an existing one posted prior to yours. Thanks.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 09:47:10 PM »

If this is about tuning all that Blue Tooth or any wireless does is get rid of ONE of the TWO cables. Your never going to be able to see much on a cell phone size screen, unless your going to get one of the new large screen phones and I'm not talking about the new iPhone, it's too small. So with that in mind you still need to use something that has the computing power, memory size and a large enough screen size to see whats going on. With that said, IMHO anything less than a 10" screen is too small. Now where do you put that 10" screen on your bike? I love the idea of wireless but I'm not sold that it's really needed or any better than using a cable for the amount of time your going to use it. Speaking for TTS the current electronics was designed to allow it to work with both WiFi or BlueTooth by adding a secondary board into the unit. Those boards were built over three years ago and I have working units in house. There is added cost in doing it and when talking at length with tuners, most could care less about just not using one cable. Dealing with the noise that can and does come along from the high voltage ignition system, speed issues and cost kind of took this to the back burner for a project for us.

It's new, it's neat but really not going to gain you much of anything. I still like the idea of setting it up to run on an iPad or tablet but feel the phone thing will die quickly once tuners try and use it. Most guys I speak to just want there bikes to run good with no more crap hanging on it. So that really limits the market that is going to buy it, once the new fade sales wear off.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 11:18:41 PM »

FlaHeatWave,
You need to get your facts straight... The original post in this thread was posted  March 12, 2014, 09:16:39 AM and they were speaking of the Bluetooth capabilities of this accessory....and your post was March 12, 2014, 04:41:27 PM almost 8 hours later..I would suggest if you have information you want to post on this subject you continue posting in this thread instead of creating a duplicate thread just because your thread was merged with an existing one posted prior to yours. Thanks.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

FiredOOd,

'Guess I got my panties in a wad because in my original thread I was just using the Fp3 as an example of the use of Bluetooth, not really talking about the V&H product as for some of us the V&H 'fuelers' are limited...

'Figured that this thread started about the V&H Fp3 not necessarily about Bluetooth, so I just spoke a little about The Maximus in my Build Thread in the Twin Cam Section. From what I was told "from the horses mouth" Maximus is definitely worthy of its own thread, 'just didn't feel comfortable saying a whole lot at this time...

No Worries :2vrolijk_21:

For anybody getting ready to purchase a Tuner, you might want to wait a week or so...

FlaHeatWave   

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 11:55:18 PM »

If this is about tuning all that Blue Tooth or any wireless does is get rid of ONE of the TWO cables. Your never going to be able to see much on a cell phone size screen, unless your going to get one of the new large screen phones and I'm not talking about the new iPhone, it's too small. So with that in mind you still need to use something that has the computing power, memory size and a large enough screen size to see whats going on. With that said, IMHO anything less than a 10" screen is too small. Now where do you put that 10" screen on your bike? I love the idea of wireless but I'm not sold that it's really needed or any better than using a cable for the amount of time your going to use it. Speaking for TTS the current electronics was designed to allow it to work with both WiFi or BlueTooth by adding a secondary board into the unit. Those boards were built over three years ago and I have working units in house. There is added cost in doing it and when talking at length with tuners, most could care less about just not using one cable. Dealing with the noise that can and does come along from the high voltage ignition system, speed issues and cost kind of took this to the back burner for a project for us.

It's new, it's neat but really not going to gain you much of anything. I still like the idea of setting it up to run on an iPad or tablet but feel the phone thing will die quickly once tuners try and use it. Most guys I speak to just want there bikes to run good with no more crap hanging on it. So that really limits the market that is going to buy it, once the new fade sales wear off.

I'd be really surprised if the Tuners will be using an iPhone in the Dyno Cell.

Since I already use the iPhone for Navigation, Music, Communication, Internet Access, etc... (all via Bluetooth)  I think it would be great to be able to use it as a Power Vision too...

If it doesn't work in my world, I can always go back to the old way...

Timusa

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: Deep Sherwood Pearl 2014 FLHRSE6
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 04:49:19 PM »

If there is a new interface electronics that collects and Holds/stores data, then fine. If not, Blue Tooth by today's standards is still to slow to handle live data at the speeds of today's HD LAN system. While it has gotten better than two years ago you would have to be sure that you had the latest and greatest on both ends. Now if you don't care about the speed and you go back to the slower data collection rates you can do it but who wants to do that?

HDLAN = CANbus = 250 Kb/s (up to 500 Kb/s) max data transfer speed.
Bluetooth 2.0 = 2.1 Mbit/s (up to 3 Mbit/s).
Bluetooth 3.0 = up to 24 Mbit/s (current iPhone).

Conclusion – a lot more then enough to handle all the data.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:53 PM »

HDLAN = CANbus = 250 Kb/s (up to 500 Kb/s) max data transfer speed.
Bluetooth 2.0 = 2.1 Mbit/s (up to 3 Mbit/s).
Bluetooth 3.0 = up to 24 Mbit/s (current iPhone).

Conclusion – a lot more then enough to handle all the data.

On the surface, yes it all looks fine but under the covers are where the issues begin. It's like anything else, looks good at first glance and that's just why we built it three years back and did some testing. HD did it on the last version of DT too but ended up with a interface that handles all the processes then transfers, as it can, via BlueTooth. So it doesn't operate in real time and the interface is very large in size. If your not worried about real time and critical timing of events then BlueTooth is fine, but if you are, as we are, then you only have one choice if your going to use Blue Tooth and that is to do what HD did in there interface.

All it takes is for data to be dropped during programming and you've got a dead ECM on your hands.

mayor

• Full CVO Member
  • just another fictional internet politician
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 08:27:59 PM »

it's a new product that Direct Link is developing that is designed for the consumer in mind.  The Direct Link system is a tuning option that requires the Centurion/Direct Link system, but the Maximus is a consumer based tuning system that allows the bike owner some tuning ability.  The current Direct Link system can only be tuned by a shop/person who have the Centurion/Direct Link module, so the consumer can't do anything themselves with their tune.  The Maximus will have a Bluetooth interface to send data to your phone.  I think this was their attempt to target some Power Vision market share.   

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 09:36:22 PM »

it's a new product that Direct Link is developing that is designed for the consumer in mind.  The Direct Link system is a tuning option that requires the Centurion/Direct Link system, but the Maximus is a consumer based tuning system that allows the bike owner some tuning ability.  The current Direct Link system can only be tuned by a shop/person who have the Centurion/Direct Link module, so the consumer can't do anything themselves with their tune.  The Maximus will have a Bluetooth interface to send data to your phone.  I think this was their attempt to target some Power Vision market share.

:2vrolijk_21:   Thanks, now it makes sense.  Of course only time will tell just how full featured it will be. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 11:48:41 PM »

"Right to Service" ( Diagnostics ) Compliance is a major factor in all levels of Maximus, the real world flexibility with the ECM is amazing...

Recently, the MoCo is requiring the Dealers to purchase the " new, improved, updated, latest & greatest - fill in the blank..." (it's comical to me that even the Dealers are not immune to the MoCo's Bull$hit) Digital Technician at well over $4k a pop...

A byproduct of the Maximus flexibility is the is the Wideband Logging / Tuning.

Bluetooth!! and I get to play with the i5 some more :2vrolijk_21:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.