Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaking flush mount gas cap  (Read 7192 times)

Driver30

Leaking flush mount gas cap
« on: March 27, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »

I have a 2014 CVO Road King.  Having trouble with the fuel cap leaking or popping up when riding.  Not sure if I have a venting issue or what.  No, I did not over fill the tank.  Anyone else had this happen?

JakeB

• Full CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2014 SERK
Re: Leaking flush mount gas cap
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »

had mine pop up a couple times last year on a 13 cvo breakout.  have not had any issues with it sence.
Jake

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 05:37:23 PM »

Sorry can't help with your problem. Welcome to the site from Tennessee!
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 07:15:05 PM »

Sounds like Harley may still be having quality problems with that design even in 2014.  I'd suggest having your dealer take care of it under warranty.  Leaking can be caused by the sealing gasket not being tight against the filler neck sealing surface when you stop turning the cap.  The cap can be tight in the threads but not tight against the sealing surface, if you follow what I'm trying to say.  That problem has been caused in the past by defective caps or defective threads in the filler neck.  Good dealerships should be aware of the issue, since Harley had a recall on it a couple years back that covered 2008 - 2011 Softails, Dyna's, and Sporties with those gas caps.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Driver30

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:05:54 AM »

Jerry,

Thanks man I think you are correct.  Making call this morning.  BTW:  Walked into the garage this morning and the cap had popped up.  Tank half full and have not ridden since last Saturday.

-G-

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »

Had some issues with the flush cap on the FXDSE2, dealer replaced under warranty. After that all good.  :bananarock:

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 02:20:32 AM »

I'm having issues with mine AGAIN (10 months after replacement, first lasted 12 months)

Never popped up on its own, but would leak and the smell of fuel was strong when parked.

Dealer fed me a line of crap about the tank being too full. (Said 1" below the filler insert is HDs recommendation)

Funny.. never had an issue with the standard fuel filler caps!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 05:14:16 AM »

Sorry to hear about your issue.  I had similar problem to 2012_FLTRXSE; the cap never popped open, but it wasn't sealed properly.

I had a '12 FLHXSE with the flush gas cap, and sometimes when I was riding, the gas fumes made it hard to breathe.  Damn near choked me a few times.  I just assumed it was normal, unburned gas from the exhaust or something (i couldn't figure out how that phantom exhaust was able to defy physics, and circulate from the muffler tip back up to my nose while going 70mph on the freeway :dunce:).  One of those mysterious Harley idiosyncrasies?  Then I rode a different Harley that didn't have any of those gas fumes, and I realized there was a problem.

Go to the dealer and demand they fix it. 

Dan

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 12:05:04 PM »

I'm having issues with mine AGAIN (10 months after replacement, first lasted 12 months)

Never popped up on its own, but would leak and the smell of fuel was strong when parked.

Dealer fed me a line of crap about the tank being too full. (Said 1" below the filler insert is HDs recommendation)

Funny.. never had an issue with the standard fuel filler caps!

Typical dealer misinformation when they try and shift the blame for a problem to a customer.  If you fill the tank to the bottom of the filler insert, it is 1" low, which is Harley's recommended fill point.  Another 1" below the filler neck is now 2" low.  Dealership clowns often bet they can bluff their was past a problem versus actually having to fix a manufacturing/design issues on their product.  Even more ridiculous when this is a well known issue with the flush mount filler gas caps.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »

Typical dealer misinformation when they try and shift the blame for a problem to a customer.  If you fill the tank to the bottom of the filler insert, it is 1" low, which is Harley's recommended fill point.  Another 1" below the filler neck is now 2" low.  Dealership clowns often bet they can bluff their was past a problem versus actually having to fix a manufacturing/design issues on their product.  Even more ridiculous when this is a well known issue with the flush mount filler gas caps.

sadunbar,

That’s exactly it…. I’m not the rookie new owner that doesn’t know any better. 

This is one of the many reasons I preferred their competitor to them… They bought the other dealership and CLOSED it to eliminate the other competition.

The bike only goes there for warranty issues if I can help it.

allaninman1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 04:26:25 PM »

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this topic but; I bought the 2012  Skunk CVO and had the gas leak issue upon filling the tank.  A new o-ring seal in the gas cap took care of the problem.  The one I replaced was obviously stretched out when compared to the new one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 06:06:47 PM »

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this topic but; I bought the 2012  Skunk CVO and had the gas leak issue upon filling the tank.  A new o-ring seal in the gas cap took care of the problem.  The one I replaced was obviously stretched out when compared to the new one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1. First thing to check.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

BigLock

• Elite CVO Member
  • CVO1 2012
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 06:40:07 PM »

If you can find a o-ring made of viton material it will hold up to anything we use them in the chemical industrial

CJ CYCLE

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE CVO ROAD GLIDE
    • CJ CYCLE
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 12:00:11 PM »

The only issue I have had with mine was operator error.  I didn't get the cap tight, a couple of clicks, and did not give the cap a little twist when I pushed it down.  I found that putting on my leather glove was the only way to put it on correctly because that gives your palm some grip on that slick surface.  With my gloves on is the only way I can remove it & put it back on correctly. 
CHOPS

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 06:21:41 AM »

The only issue I have had with mine was operator error.  I didn't get the cap tight, a couple of clicks, and did not give the cap a little twist when I pushed it down.  I found that putting on my leather glove was the only way to put it on correctly because that gives your palm some grip on that slick surface.  With my gloves on is the only way I can remove it & put it back on correctly.

x2... I did this recently on the way to work one morning and I kept smelling fuel... I kept thinking WTF?

so once I got into traffic I slowed up and popped the cap up and it was a couple of clicks shy of tight... then I'm sitting in my meeting and my boss who rides is sitting next to me asking if i forgot to tighten the gas cap... Duh... shaddap! at least I put mine on! ( he drove away without even putting his on one day... )

duh.. stuff happens.

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 21 queries.