Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 1999 FXR2 FLOOR BOARD DISCUSSION  (Read 8840 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
1999 FXR2 FLOOR BOARD DISCUSSION
« on: April 02, 2014, 11:46:07 AM »

APRIL 2nd, 2014 9:45AM MDT

Hey guys….

Well the riding season is finally here in CO, and here is a photo taken last summer of my FXR2 with the "police" footboards.

Have others done this modification?

I have to say once you go floorboards you will NEVER go back….they are SO COMFORTABLE…..

A needle in a haystack to find….get your parts located….a very nice modification…..

Comments welcome…..

I am running a SuperTrapp 2-1 SuperMeg Exhaust and actually modified the OEM brake pedal to where it will function nicely…..so I got away from the "police" / FXRT styled break pedal.

They look good as well…and work well with the mid range controls.

ALSO LOOK JUST ABOVE THE SEAT IN THE PHOTO I HAVE ATTACHED…DO YOU SEE THE WAGON TRAIN….THIS PHOTO IS TAKEN AT FORT LARAMIE IN WYO WHICH WAS ON THE OREGON TRAIL. I THOUGHT THE WAGON TRAIN WAS SHOWING WHEELS OF MOTION AND SOME 180 YEARS LATER ANOTHER MODE OF TRANSPORTATION IS AVAILABLE IN AN FXR2…..

Originally established as a private fur trading fort in 1834, Fort Laramie evolved into the largest and best known military post on the Northern Plains, before its abandonment in 1890.  This “grand old post” witnessed the entire sweeping saga of America’s western expansion and Indian resistance to encroachment on their territories.

Warmest Regards,

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 03:14:27 PM by FXR2evo99 »

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: 1999 FXR2 FLOOR BOARD DISCUSSION
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:46:58 AM »

Well after time to get used to them. How do you like them? Were they from a Police FXR? Did you get a part#. Did they
Bolt right on with no mods? I have considered them for myself too. Just because my Bike is fast does not mean I don't
want comfort on 500 miles plus days. I now have over 65,000 miles bought it with 4100 miles. Love it!
Ltank

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:34:05 AM »

Ltank~

Has to be one of the TOP modifications I have done to the bike….I really enjoy them a lot.  I am running the SuperTrapp Supermeg 2-1 for a softail on my FXR2 and the floorboards work with both the OEM pipe as well as the Supermeg pipe.  I am even using my OEM (the FXR2's are the only ones of the CVO FXR's that come with an "aluminum" OEM brake pedal the FXR3's and FXR4's come with a "chrome rear brake pedal" so because my is aluminum I was able to modify it to work with the floorboards.  The brake pedal needs some width taken off it to allow your foot to have room and was really easy to do in about 3 hours or so….of cutting and then sanding and polishing back to original finish….just takes some time but is not difficult…I am willing to cut anyones that want's to send them to me for a fee…lol…I have done two of them now….and they both came out nice….now of course you can run the police style rear brake pedal also but I like the placement of the OEM brake pedal.  Yes they are either police FXRP floorboards or FXRT floorboards….. They are getting more and more difficult to find and more and more expensive.  Probably expect to pay around $350.00 for them….perhaps less or perhaps more….the key is finding a set that are in good condition…the floorboards themselves are still made it's finding all of the other parts…..

They are awesome on the bike for foot placement options and they also blend into the bike pretty well too….

They will not come off the bike….they are that awesome….

Tim

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:52:27 PM »

Do you have a pic of the right side brake pedal and floor board. Is there a crossover underneath the bike from one board to the other?

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 02:28:14 AM »

"...Is there a crossover underneath the bike from one board to the other?…"

No….there is not.

=========================
Because I decided I wanted to use the OEM brake pedal in association with the FXRP floor boards it took some cutting and grinding….please note that most FXR owners do not have a "chrome" brake pedal on their FXR's.  FXR3 and FXR4 bikes were "optioned" with a chrome brake pedal….cutting "chrome" can be a dicey experience since you might actually cause the "chrome" to "flake off" so if anyone decides to cut off their brake pedal and they have a chrome one you do so at your own risk.  I actually own several brake pedals as I wasn't sure how this was going to come out….so I wanted a couple of back up plans.  I found a FXR3 and FXR4 chrome brake pedal and have it nicely stored away if for some reason i ever tire of the floor boards and want to simply go back to an OEM brake pedal, however to tell you the truth I like the "smaller" version of this brake pedal now that I have cut it down.  I also own another aluminum brake pedal that I found just in case this did not work out well.

I am here to tell you with some time and a floor grinder, and or a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutting wheel and a wire brush you can end up with a very nice finish…aluminum is very forgiving for sure….there is nothing to be gained by cutting off more than I actually did.

And by the way there is enough adjustment with the brake pedal height adjustment to make it work in conjunction with the height of the floor board….Also note that I am running a Supertrapp 2-1 Supermeg set up for as softail application and it works on the FXR2 as well as the FXR3 and the FXR4 or for that matter any FXR with enough effort….and so the modification to the use of the floorboards will work with that pipe as well.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:54:12 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:40:11 AM »

MOCKING UP AN IDEA OF WHERE I WANTED TO CUT THE BRAKE PEDAL PRIOR TO DOING SO

INITIAL CUTTING FINISH OF OEM BRAKE PEDAL PAD STILL MORE TO COME OFF:

ANOTHER VIEW OF THE OEM BRAKE PEDAL PAD STILL NEEDING FURTHER CUTTING:

FINAL DETERMINATION OF WHAT MEASUREMENTS SHOULD BE READ CAPTION:

SHOWING HEIGHT OF BOTTOM OF OEM BRAKE PEDAL PAD ABOVE THE FLOORBOARD PAD WHICH IS 1 3/4" COMPRESSING THE FLOORBOARD RUBBER PAD INCREASES ANOTHER 1/4" TO A TOTAL OF 2" OF HEIGHT:

SHOWING OEM BRAKE PEDAL AGAINST THE OEM SPLINED BRACKET, THEN COMES THE WAVE WASHER THEN THE FXRP RIGHT SIDE REAR BRACKET WHICH HOLDS THE FLOOR BOARD.  NOTICE THAT THE SPLINE OF THE BRACKET HOLDER AND THE FXRP BRACKET ARE FLUSH WHICH THEY MUST BE:

FINAL FINISH AND CUT OF THE OEM BRAKE PEDAL WHICH IS 1 3/4" IN MAX WIDTH IN THE CENTER OF THE PAD AND 1 1/2" AT EACH END, THUS PROVIDING A SORT OF CURVED FINISH:

A CLOSE UP VIEW TAKEN FROM THE SIDE....SHOWING HEIGHT OF THE OEM BRAKE PAD'S HEIGHT ABOVE THE FLOORBOARD:

CLUTCH CABLE ROUTING FROM HD# 37109-87A AND HOW IT BARELY TOUCHES REAR FXRP REAR BRACKET, I DECIDED TO TAKE A 1 3/4" LONG FUEL HOSE AND CUT IT DOWN THE MIDDLE LENGTH WISE TO SPLIT IT AND THEN WRAPPED IT AROUND CLUTCH CABLE & SECURED IT W/ WIRE TIES:

A LOWER VIEW OF HOW THE INSTALLATION OF THE OEM REAR BRAKE PEDAL WITH THE FXRP FLOORBOARDS AND NEW FXRP ENGINE GUARD/CRASH BAR AFTER RIDING THE BIKE THE FIRST TIME I REALIZED THAT BECAUSE OF HOW THE FOOT PEGS (HIGHWAY PEGS) HAD TO BE ATTACHED IN FRONT OF THE CRASH BAR SLIGHTLY IT MADE THE FOOT PEGS OF NO USE FOR ME, SO OFF CAME THE HIGHWAY BAR AND THE FOOT PEGS WERE PUT ON WITH THE OEM HIGHWAY PEG BRACKET THAT COMES WITH OUR FXR2'S FXR3'S AND FXR4'S AND THEY WORK GREAT FOR ME THAT WAY….

A FINAL VIEW AND PRESENTATION OF THE OEM REAR BRAKE PEDAL IN COMBINATION WITH THE FXRP FLOOR BOARDS AND NEW FXRP ENGINE GUARD/CRASH BAR:

THESE ARE THE ONLY PARTS NEEDED FROM THE FXRP/FXRT FLOORBOARD PARTS TO BE ABLE TO RUN THE FLOOR BOARDS ON NON FXRP/FXRT MODELED FXR'S:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:52:29 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 02:47:10 AM »

MODIFICATION TO THE BRACKET ON RIGHT SIDE:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:32:27 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 02:52:36 AM »

The….floor boards are quite comfortable….especially if you are a rider of 5' 10" or less, the taller you are beyond 5' 10" might require that you might have to extend the shifter farther forward….which can be done…..

Regards,

Tim

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 08:25:32 AM »

Very Nice!  Great job, pictures and write up. Bike looks very Nice. I might do the same for my Bike. I am approaching
70,000 miles on my Bike. Turning 60 next month.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 12:23:10 AM »

CONGRATS Itank!!!!!

Thank you.

Regards,

Tim

skypilot_one

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 06:13:11 PM »

Nice!

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 11:29:07 PM »

another favorite photo of the bike with the FLOORBOARDS but you don't even notice them:

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 10:16:36 PM »

Well I finally got mine installed. I had to modify the right rear foot peg Mount. Shaft was cut and extended,  welded and machined, new spacers made. This was done for clearance on my custom exhaust.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 10:18:23 PM »

I really love the mid floorboards. Should have done it long ago.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 10:21:23 PM »

Left side no problems. It was the custom exhaust that caused issues when trying to mount the floorboard mount
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.