Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hidden Antenna Problem  (Read 2855 times)

hawkeye4jw

• Junior CVO Member
Hidden Antenna Problem
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:47:22 AM »

I have a 2013 CVO Roadglide. My reception is terrible. Always losing the channels and allot of static. I am assuming it still has the original antenna in the fairing. Anyone else have problems with reception on the Roadglide? Any recommendations on a better hidden antenna?

Thanks Jack

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
Re: Hidden Antenna Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »

I had the JM and it was in my opinion worthless
For xm, I put it outside the fairing and wedged it in the middle of the dash next to the windshield.  Worked perfect. 
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:20:38 PM »

I have a 2013 CVO Roadglide. My reception is terrible. Always losing the channels and allot of static. I am assuming it still has the original antenna in the fairing. Anyone else have problems with reception on the Roadglide? Any recommendations on a better hidden antenna?

Thanks Jack

I recommend replacing that hidden antenna with a real antenna, problem solved.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:38:47 PM »

Thanks Jack

Jack, I have used the same hidden antenna on an my last 3 bikes with good results, 1 was an 09 CVO Road glide, not great, there is a little less range but nothing drastic, But apparently where you travel makes a huge difference because others I have recommended them too think they are junk, if your reception is bad with one brand you might have the same fortune with others as well.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »

Jerry

It's true. Jerry you always speak the truth lol.

Jesse

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »

Jerry

Bingo, we have a winner!

That would be my suggestion as well....ditch the hidden for an exposed whip and those stations will start to appear like magic... :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 02:40:47 PM »

Since Harley chose to install that POS on the CVO Road Glide Custom to "clean up" the "styling" even though they know it's not as good as a conventional antenna, why not ask them to make their hidden antenna work the way they claim it will?  See what Harley has to say if you call and file a complaint.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »

Jerry, you be so funny..... ;D ::) :nervous: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:

hawkeye4jw

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »

The problem with a real antenna is where to put it. When I have the trunk on it wouldn't be a problem. But I don't know where to put one when the trunk is off. Sounds like no one has a good hidden antenna.

Jack

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 10:36:16 PM »

The problem with a real antenna is where to put it. When I have the trunk on it wouldn't be a problem. But I don't know where to put one when the trunk is off. Sounds like no one has a good hidden antenna.

Jack

Take a look at the way Harley did it on the 2005 SEEG.  The bike has a detachable Tour Pak, and when the TP is installed you screw the antenna onto a mount on the TP.  When you remove the TP you unscrew the antenna, remove the cable that runs to the TP from the regular antenna mount bracket on the bike, and then screw the antenna to that mount.  They actually sold a kit to allow folks to do the same thing when adding a detachable TP to regular bikes.

Jerry

hawkeye4jw

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 06:13:32 AM »

Take a look at the way Harley did it on the 2005 SEEG.  The bike has a detachable Tour Pak, and when the TP is installed you screw the antenna onto a mount on the TP.  When you remove the TP you unscrew the antenna, remove the cable that runs to the TP from the regular antenna mount bracket on the bike, and then screw the antenna to that mount.  They actually sold a kit to allow folks to do the same thing when adding a detachable TP to regular bikes.

Jerry

I had that setup on my last bike. The problem is the fillers on this bike have the lights built into them and I don't think there is room for an antenna.

Jack

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 07:27:50 AM »

I am using Harley's hidden antenna.  The one that wraps around the inner faring.   It works better than the shorty that came on the sg.  I am happy I didn't have to put an antenna mount on my tour pack. Have the iPod ready or xm I guess.  :nixweiss:

hawkeye4jw

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 07:42:30 AM »

I am using Harley's hidden antenna.  The one that wraps around the inner faring.   It works better than the shorty that came on the sg.  I am happy I didn't have to put an antenna mount on my tour pack. Have the iPod ready or xm I guess.  :nixweiss:

I have another problem because I wanted to put the XM modular on the bike. The unit they sell that plugs in and is hidden will not work on my bike for some reason. No one can give me an answer about that either. I would rather not have the XM control mounted on my handlebars. So just looking for options.

Jack

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 21 queries.