Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 Softail Convertible fairing and wiring question  (Read 2767 times)

jennings80116

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

2012 Softail Convertible fairing and wiring question
« on: April 11, 2014, 08:08:55 PM »

trying to get an easy power source to a portable sat radio that will be mounted on the handlebars. behind the headlight is a Deutsch connector, DT04-2P, with an empty (no wires, contacts, plastic plugs to cover holes) DT06-2S. I haven't received the wiring manual I ordered yet. I got the DT06-2S parts and when I plug it into the bike side DT04-2P I'm not getting any power.

Does anyone know what plug is used for? can I get power from it?

very frustrating, thanks for any input.

John

Bike30

Re: 2012 Softail Convertible fairing and wiring question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »

On my '14 CVO Softail there's a stubbed off two-wire Deutsch connector for later installing heated grips. It comes from the right TBW twist grip, and ends in two female connector sockets under the end cap and rubber plug over the TBW assembly.

I used it to install heated grips. Yours may be a different wire, however.

I ended up getting grip and garage door opener 12V power from a HD adapter (P/N 72673-11) that plugs into the HDLAN (Digital Tech) connector under the seat. The new CAN bus wiring doesn't allow for additional loads on existing power wires (+ = red/yellow, - = black) without potential problems. Not sure what you have for wiring.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:28:22 PM by Bike30 »

jennings80116

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 07:09:33 PM »

thanks Bike30 appreciate the response. guess I won't know for sure until I get the wiring diagram for this specific bike.

Bike30

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »

thanks Bike30 appreciate the response. guess I won't know for sure until I get the wiring diagram for this specific bike.

You may need the Service Manual Supplement for that bike if HD has one available. Sometimes the CVO's vary in equipment and design, at least mine did from the standard Softail Deluxe I had before. Search the Internet for a diagram first. Don't you already have a sound system amp that should have power available up front?

If not and if you have a CAN bus system (likely) then the best way to get accessory power is the adapter and location I noted above. If the accessory is in front of the tank, you have to run the power wires under it. The body or engine control modules don't like unexpected additional loads and voltage drops on the wires they feed in a HDLAN system their mechanics have told me.

Fairly simple job however. Remove the front and rear tank bolts and fuel vent line. Cover the front cylinder head with a rag to prevent scratches, then lift the tank up at the front and pull to the rear slightly leaving the crossover fuel hose (if present) intact. Raise the rear of the tank and run a pull wire along the left side of the frame and out in front of the tank. Connect the accessory wires to it and pull them under the tank to the rear. Connect them to the adapter for power.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:49:56 PM by Bike30 »

jennings80116

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »

I ordered the manual over a week and a half ago, but like a lot of Harley things these days it makes me wonder...I needed a rear brake master cylinder or rebuild kit and it took 10 days to get one. No one in Colorado had one......

The CVO is my wife's bike and since it is her's and a special bike I wanted to keep things as factory looking as possible. You're right there is a sound system built into the removable fairing. I ended up ordering the Deutsch connector parts to build a factory spec custom connector to provide power to her sat radio (XMp3i portable) when riding.

I had her old bike, '04 Dyna Low Rider, all set up with a 300W after market stereo and the portable sat radio as well as all set up for traveling with her roller bag, etc. Now I'm starting all over on the CVO so it will be ready for our first long ride over Memorial Day Weekend.

jennings80116

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »

The pic above shows the Dyna with the portable sat radio and Pioneer speaker system. Pretty much duplicating it on the CVO now without having to add the speakers and amp. Her back rest rack came in Saturday so once I get the sat radio in we should be good to go on the road for long trips.

Here's a pic of her Dyna that she still has.

Thanks again for the posts.

millmutt

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
    • CVO2: 2007 FXDSE
    • CVO3: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 07:26:06 PM »

Hi,
 I have an 11 Convertible with a XM Satelite radio set up. I posted a couple of pictures of my set up. Here is the link to my post.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=70263.msg973423#msg973423

I see you are in Colorado, I'm in Broomfield. Send me an email if you like at freedman@qwest.net and I would be glad to discuss or show you my set up.
Electrical is no problem for me.

Millmutt

jennings80116

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:18 AM »

Thanks for the reply and link. We use the portable XM3Pi's on the bikes since you can take them off and have Sat radio wherever you are and we've had them for years now. They work really well as we've traveled around the U.S. and have never used an antenna outside of the one built in the radio.

My wiring manual came in and I ordered the Deutsch connectors I need to build a custom connector that will look factory.

The parts come in tomorrow but I'll be away on business for a week so I won't get to it for about a week and a half. Will let you know how it comes together.

I had looked at upgrading the Garmin from the 660 to the 665 with built in sat radio but the cost was crazy and appears the whole mount would have to change. So for the price of about $20 in parts I'll use the 3 year old XM3Pi like on her Dyna and my Street Glide.

Thanks again

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 08:51:50 PM »

The blank wire harness behind the headlight is for the Japanese Harley running lights.  It is not hot.  Has to be programed by Harley through the ECM.  Is only a 2 amp circuit.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.