Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 Convertible Clutch Master Cylinder Failed at 22k/20 Months  (Read 1885 times)

12cvosoftail

Hi,

I just wanted to let you all know that my clutch master cylinder failed completely around 22k miles and 20 months. It began failing at around 19k. I first noticed it on a trip to CO at a stop light. The bike felt like it wanted to creep forward while the brakes were applied. It was intermittent. At 22k I got off the highway and pulled in the clutch lever and the bike continued forward as the clutch completely failed. I hit the kill switch to stop the bike. I pumped the clutch lever numerous times which allowed me to get home safely. I regularly pumped the clutch lever on the way home to ensure functionality.

I opened the clutch reservoir to find black colored fluid. I don't mean the color of the HD fluid which looks like motor oil. This fluid looked contanimated. I drained the system completely, cleaned the inside of the master cylinder, flushed it with new fuild and filled it. The clutch worked for 500 miles then failed again. I opened the reservoir and found the same discolored fluid. I got suspicious that the internal parts were causing the issue. I ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit from HD and rebuilt the master cylinder. It appears to have resolved the issue as I have over 2000 miles on the bike and all works fine.

I was suspicious about the master cylinder for 2 reasons. HD recalled all 2014 models with hydraulic clutches due to faulty master cylinders. Also, when I went to the dealer to order a rebuild kit they told me the one they had in stock had been superceeded with a new part number which told me they made revisions to the original kit. I obviously ordered the revised part.

If you're wondering why I didn't take the bike in under warranty it's because the dealer in Round Rock, TX sucks.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:10:24 PM by 12cvosoftail »

dflanagan2012

• IA

• CVO1: 2013 ultra classic cvo 110
Re: 2012 Convertible Clutch Master Cylinder Failed at 22k/20 Months
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:37:08 AM »

On my 2012 cvo softail the clutch system needed bled after 800 miles, the fluid was black and had black particles in it, and I lost the clutch completely, the dealer told me that it was because the fluid got really hot from the exhaust....?? anyway after the dealer bled the system the clutch worked perfect. I put 4500 miles on it before I traded for my current bike and it worked perfect. Sooooo I am wondering if they didn't get some contaminated fluid in the system from the factory and it's showing up on other bikes at different mileages, Just a thought.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 11:40:41 PM »

Hey 12cvosofttail,
Thanks for the warning. I only have 10k on mine but will for sure keep your story on standby.
Thanks

Craigisdad

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 10:24:29 PM »

My 2011 did the  same thing but it only had about 300 miles on it , I had only had it about  a week.  Dealer took care of everything right away.
Craig

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.