Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: weird tach  (Read 1446 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
weird tach
« on: February 26, 2006, 07:52:30 AM »

Out riding my 'CUSE yesterday.  Coming into a small town had to stop at traffic light.  Noticed idle speed way low - looked like maybe 500 rpm.  But when started moving again I realized that the tach was actually reading low.  After stopping for lunch and re-starting bike the tach read normal rest of trip.  Anyone else had this?  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: weird tach
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 10:04:41 AM »

When I have seen this problem its been due to the pickup being dirty or being bad.   In my last ultra they cleaned it twice and then replaced it and the problem went away.   It is not hard to clean, I would just have the dealer do it to be sure that that is the problem or if its not inhibited by dirt that they look elsewhere for the issue.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »

Stupid question time.

Would a loose spark plug wire cause the tach to act up? Had the dealer service the bike prior to my last trip when my tach acted up on an intermittent basis looking over things tonight i found the rear plug wire not fully seated onto the spark plug. Hadn't noticed the bike running poorly; must have made just enough connection to keep the plug firing.

Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 01:56:58 PM »

My tach has a mind of its own sometimes. As discussed in another thread, it stutters when on decell, stopping every 200 rpm's for a second. Lately I have had it read low as well, stick at 2000 rpm, or not read at all. Discussed it with a tech at the dealer but I haven't had them look at it, my confidence level with that dealers service department is not very high right now.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »

When I have seen this problem its been due to the pickup being dirty or being bad.   In my last ultra they cleaned it twice and then replaced it and the problem went away.   It is not hard to clean, I would just have the dealer do it to be sure that that is the problem or if its not inhibited by dirt that they look elsewhere for the issue.

Which part are you referring to Harry.  The speedo sensor "pickup" will kill the speedometer, odometer and cruise control and is a part that sometimes acts up can be cleaned.  But the speedo sensor doesn't drive the tachometer. 

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 03:09:51 PM »

My tach has a mind of its own sometimes. As discussed in another thread, it stutters when on decell, stopping every 200 rpm's for a second. Lately I have had it read low as well, stick at 2000 rpm, or not read at all. Discussed it with a tech at the dealer but I haven't had them look at it, my confidence level with that dealers service department is not very high right now.

Sorry to hear of your issue with the dealer.

Leaving the plug wire lose (not fully seated) isn't something I'd normally check when picking up the bike from a service. Apparently the connection was good enough that it didn't make the bike run poorly such that I would notice. The tech must have been in a real hurry not to snap the plug wire onto the plug correctly.

Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 22 queries.