Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2014 SE 110 Break-In Question  (Read 4257 times)

Skipper

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE-6
Re: 2014 SE 110 Break-In Question
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »

My builder used non synthetic oil for the first 100km  He broke the bike in him self, 2 heat cycles in the shop, then started with gentle roll on's ( 3 to 4 gentle ones ) on the highway. Then ramped up the roll on's until the bike pulled from around 3000rpm to 6000rpm. All in all took about one hour and 100km. Back to the shop and a oil and filter change back to non synthetic. Rode 1000km on regular oil and then changed to full synthetic Amzoil.  ( and a dyno shtine )

He has done it this way for many many builds with great compression results and no oil burning to speak of.

Exactly the same procedure is done on my new S&S 124". and on top of that, builder is planing to add a ceramic additive to the oil.
Skipper
"F..@* the Rushmore's, I'm gonna keep my Babe"

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »

All the engines are pre run in the factory on the assembly line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 02:45:22 AM »

According to the latest Issue of American Iron Magazine you should Not use Synthetic Oil when Breaking in a New Engine.

Don't know who wrote that article, but he's full of (it)...and so is AI for publishing the article.  Talking only about the oil, not all the additives (friction modifiers, viscosity modifiers, anti-wear additives, pH buffers, etc.): The only difference between natural and synthetic oil is that synthetic stands up to higher temperatures than natural.  That's all it is.  So synthetic is a much better choice for our air/oil cooled bikes.

What separates high quality motor oils from the others is the use of a high quality full-synthetic base oil with a high quality additive package.

95% of the auto/motorcycle/atv/you-name-it magazines are nothing but a mouthpiece for their advertisers.  Ever notice there's a tech article for Brand X mufflers, and within a few pages there's an ad for the same Brand X cans?  That's not a coincidence.
If you want peace, prepare for war.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 21 queries.