Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Tranny Project  (Read 5089 times)

SPIDERMAN

Tranny Project
« on: November 29, 2006, 10:19:16 PM »

Some may recall my plea for a five speed gear-set to help out a friend who had gotten royally hosed by a North Hollywood shop trying to convert his early 84 Evo motor FXWG from a 4speed to a 5speed. Fr8train came through on the gear set and I managed to locate a 5 into 4 case. Problem there was it was intended for an Evo 5 with a smaller main shaft. Problem solved I am having the case machined to the larger main shaft beaing. Had I mic'd the TC-5 Main shaft and the then the existing hole in the 5 into 4 case, the distance between outer race and inner race would have been so close the bearing would have overheated and failed in no time. This makes more sense. Ok, here's my latest need. In the box that fr8 sent me the 5 speed in was a set of instructions on how to install the 6-speed he put into his watermelon. Can anyone provide me with a link that would show the same thing for a 5-speed ? I tend to work on something till I get stuck and then read the directions. No directions things hit the skids pretty fast.

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 09:48:27 AM by SPIDERMAN »

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
Re: Tranny Project
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:12:41 PM »

I must have gotten this heading of this thread misunderstood.I thought you were looking for some womens clothes.Or help in getting plane fare to Brazil.My bad. [smiley=banana.gif]
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 07:13:03 PM »

Went online and read the Clinton (CT) Gazette today

In the local news section there was an Ad.

[size=16]Quilghini's Marina One day sale on oars ![/size]

B B

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 11:11:31 PM »

Love the way everyone's jumpin in on this thread to offer a hand.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 11:12:26 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 02:09:52 AM »

[highlight]Love the way everyone's jumpin in on this thread to offer a hand. [/highlight]
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 09:48:05 AM »

Hoist,
       You just described why my buddy Stoneman got hosed by the Hollywood bike shop he started out with. They were trying to stuff 5 gears into his old 4 speed case ( one that did not accept a trap door) They had the shafts at a machine shop doing God only knows what to em. The EVO 5's with belts had a long enough main shaft, but because of the gear jam issue where the counter shaft would try to climb over the main shaft I wanted a TC 5. The older EVO 5's had a thinner trap door which would warp after awhile due to the the issue I just mentioned. In case you didn't see elsewhere, FR8TRN came through with a brand new never used 06 complete 5 out of his watermelon he took delivery of with a 6. Already got the parts in hand for a price only a righteous site bro like FR8TRN would have shipped em to me for. My only issue is the larger main shaft, bearing, seal and retaining ring which is why we need to have the Sputhe case machined. No problem there that I can see. As I said my buddy Jerry and I dry fit the who trans together yesterday and the only issue was that bearing. The TC 5 main shaft is plenty long enough for the trans belt pulley. We are going with a late model narrow belt so Stoneman can put a 180 tire on the back. And YES, I wish I'd gotten involved here before he started muckin around with a classic, rare and cool bike. I'd have helped him restore it and sell it in stock condition if he wanted a more modern ride. Shame to have messed around with it like this, but I came in on it too late. This bike came from the MoCo with a Evo motor, 4-speed trans (with kick start) and chain drive. It is a 1984 FXWG. One of very few Evo's with a 4 speed and chain drive and one of even fewer with the factory kicker. 83,84,85 had a handful of odd bikes like this as the MoCo went from Shovelhead to Evo. FYI, if anyone ever tells you there were no 83 Evo's They're WRONG. The MoCo had some factory mules out on the road testing the to be released in 84 EVO motors. Don't know why cause they don't do it as a rule, but they sold em when they were done with em. So there's so very odd 83's out there with EVO motors.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 09:59:12 AM by SPIDERMAN »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 09:06:05 PM »

Still suffering a learning curve of this project. Latest was that the 6-speed final gear has a larger inside diameter than the 5-speed final gear. I picked up a trans sprocket for an 06 and didn't think of this so I ended up with the one that mates up to the Dyna 6-speed trans. No biggie as Freddie my parts guy has the 5-speed one in stock along with the nut and lock plate. Just something to remember when playing mix and match with 06 parts. Beagle says the inner primary we picked up off E-bay for $70 should be here tomorrow and Beags also had the matching black outer primary- - I guess from when he owned a hot rod fat boy. The H-D trans plate was obsolete, so Fred got me one of those from V-Twin. Not only is this the only way to mount the trans in the frame, it also allows me the ability to align everything properly. One of the nicer things about the older bikes is that you could mix parts from different years and get away with it because of stuff like the trans plate. I think I mentioned elsewhere that this is going to have a late model clutch, hub and shell with a starter from Hank's 02 RG. Picked up the hydaulic master cylinder to work the hydraulic end cover that came with the gear set from FR8TRN. Surprised me in that it came with the rod, bearing, circlip and everthing needed to actuate. Pretty cool. $153 my price. Howie sent me some old switch housings that I touched up a couple scratches on ( Thanks Howie) so we can use that late model brake master cylinder on the other side and the handgrips. Should be a fun weekend wrenching with of course a break for a ride on Sunday afternoon.

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 09:23:04 PM »

Still suffering a learning curve of this project. Latest was that the 6-speed final gear has a larger inside diameter than the 5-speed final gear. I picked up a trans sprocket for an 06 and didn't think of this so I ended up with the one that mates up to the Dyna 6-speed trans. No biggie as Freddie my parts guy has the 5-speed one in stock along with the nut and lock plate. Just something to remember when playing mix and match with 06 parts. Beagle says the inner primary we picked up off E-bay for $70 should be here tomorrow and Beags also had the matching black outer primary- - I guess from when he owned a hot rod fat boy. The H-D trans plate was obsolete, so Fred got me one of those from V-Twin. Not only is this the only way to mount the trans in the frame, it also allows me the ability to align everything properly. [highlight]One of the nicer things about the older bikes is that you could mix parts from different years and get away with it because of stuff like the trans plate.[/highlight] I think I mentioned elsewhere that this is going to have a late model clutch, hub and shell with a starter from Hank's 02 RG. Picked up the hydaulic master cylinder to work the hydraulic end cover that came with the gear set from FR8TRN. Surprised me in that it came with the rod, bearing, circlip and everthing needed to actuate. Pretty cool. $153 my price. Howie sent me some old switch housings that I touched up a couple scratches on ( Thanks Howie) so we can use that late model brake master cylinder on the other side and the handgrips. Should be a fun weekend wrenching with of course a break for a ride on Sunday afternoon.

B B

This is so true about most parts. But not the seat from 85/86 4-speed swingarm bikes. Those Evo frame 4-speeds had seats of their own. Damn near impossible to find anything decent! That build sounds like a blast. It will be an interesting bike when your done. Are you running a stock single rotor front end? looking forward to seeing this one B B! ;) Hoist! 8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 09:35:40 PM »

This is so true about most parts. But not the seat from 85/86 4-speed swingarm bikes. Those Evo frame 4-speeds had seats of their own. Damn near impossible to find anything decent! That build sounds like a blast. It will be an interesting bike when your done. [highlight]Are you running a stock single rotor front end?[/highlight] looking forward to seeing this one B B! ;) Hoist! 8-)

Yes,
      Was hoping to retrofit one of the late model TC dual piston brake calipers Beags and I have gathering dust, but of course the lower leg is different so even if I changed out the rotor it won't work. I hear you on the seat. Me and Beags have probably got 6 different seats between us and none of then will fit that frame. Stoneman's got what looks to be a very old Corbin gunfighter on it already. Just kind of real dated looking and I'm doing some cosmetic updates as well as the drive train ones. Big Daddy's gonna be out here next week and he wants to see La La land ( Hollyweird,Venice,Malibu all that chit) so Stoneman's gonna play tour-guide for us. Had hoped to have his bike up and running by then. Depends on how screwed the carb and ignition is. Dawg is searchin through his parts stash for replacements for that. This bike should be named the FXWCVOG when it's done with the help I've gotten from folks on this site.  ;)

B B

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 08:48:38 PM »

Got the new trans sprocket today. Fits perfect. Had hoped the inner primary would show up at Beagle's house today, but UPS evidently uses a different calendar than the rest of the world. 3 days from Tuesday is Friday in my book. I just want to get all of the parts together, wrinkle finish everything to match and then assemble this thing. And I promise to post some pics. My daughter is going to show me how to download pics from the camera I bought my wife for Christmas and then transfer them to the site. Yeah yeah yeah, I know it's simple - - - so was figuring out this whole trans deal for me. We all have our talents.

Hank has offered me the stock starter from his 02 when it goes to Cycle Visions for the big motor build. As mentioned before he's going to use the CVO starter I got from Rjobs because his motor is going to be over 10/1 compression. I would love to find another black Hi-Po starter for the Stoneman project.If anyone has replace theirs with a chrome one. I bought Roger's for $100 plus shipping. Anyone got one they want to sell for that ? What I'm trying to do is get the rest of the bike updated to the point where Stoneman lets me rebuild his tired old Evo motor so I can teach myself how to do that. I learned transmissions by doing this. Alway have had a knack for figuring what works and then let other people get involved with the doing. Now as I look at retirement a few years down the road, I want to have small shop to keep me busy without having to worry about making much money out of it. I've got a friend that has offered to teach me how to rebuld a motor if I come up with a motor to work on. Also have a set of S&S Evo heads gathering dust that I'd like to send off to Dave Mackie and have him do his thing. Bump the cylinders up to 88", DM57 cam, Dyna ignition, re-worked CV carb and some other goodies. If anybody's got the aforementioned starter and is looking to sell, shoot me a PM

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 09:03:38 PM »

Got the new trans sprocket today. Fits perfect. Had hoped the inner primary would show up at Beagle's house today, but UPS evidently uses a different calendar than the rest of the world. 3 days from Tuesday is Friday in my book. I just want to get all of the parts together, wrinkle finish everything to match and then assemble this thing. And I promise to post some pics. My daughter is going to show me how to download pics from the camera I bought my wife for Christmas and then transfer them to the site. Yeah yeah yeah, I know it's simple - - - so was figuring out this whole trans deal for me. We all have our talents.

Hank has offered me the stock starter from his 02 when it goes to Cycle Visions for the big motor build. As mentioned before he's going to use the CVO starter I got from Rjobs because his motor is going to be over 10/1 compression. I would love to find another black Hi-Po starter for the Stoneman project.If anyone has replace theirs with a chrome one. I bought Roger's for $100 plus shipping. Anyone got one they want to sell for that ? What I'm trying to do is get the rest of the bike updated to the point where Stoneman lets me rebuild his tired old Evo motor so I can teach myself how to do that. I learned transmissions by doing this. Alway have had a knack for figuring what works and then let other people get involved with the doing. Now as I look at retirement a few years down the road, I want to have small shop to keep me busy without having to worry about making much money out of it. I've got a friend that has offered to teach me how to rebuld a motor if I come up with a motor to work on. Also have a set of S&S Evo heads gathering dust that I'd like to send off to Dave Mackie and have him do his thing. Bump the cylinders up to 88", DM57 cam, Dyna ignition, re-worked CV carb and some other goodies. If anybody's got the aforementioned starter and is looking to sell, shoot me a PM

B B

Don't get rid of the shovelhead flywheels in that motor. That bottom end with 88" barrels, Mackie heads and the right cams is a great build. For a 4-speed at least! I wonder how it's gonna work with all those gears now? If it needs the lighter flywheels with that gearset, let me know if you're gonna get rid of the flywheel assembly! ;) Hoist! 8-)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 09:08:45 PM »

Howie,
          I know where you can lay your hands on a complete 97 Evo for $800 plus shipping. Top end is banged up as it bent a valve and did a number on the heads. Stoneman's cousin and my former Sgt at Arms and closest brother other than Beags has it. Bob lives just outside Anne Arbor in Howell Michigan. I orginally sent it to him to get him going on building a bike, but he had ( and rightfully so) other priorities, so the whole thing fell by the wayside. If interested, let me know and I will call Bob and set it up for you.

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 09:20:14 PM »

Howie,

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 09:26:37 PM »

B B, the 5-speed Evos have a lighter flywheel assembly than the '85/'86 4-speed Evo's. They're hard to find now. If your rebuild doesn't use them I'd be interested. I'm not looking for a motor to rebuild, but wouldn't mind a spare flywheel assembly. You just never know, and since my FXWG's getting buried with me (and hopefully no time soon), when I'll need it! That bitch got some miles on her now and still runs strong! ;) Hoist! 8-)

Howie,
          so what you're saying is I should get the 97 motor from Bob and punch it up with the bored out jugs S&S heads and Mackie cam and sell you the motor that's in Stoneman's bike now ?  How much is that worth to you ?  PM me if you want to talk off line.

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 09:53:21 PM »

Howie,

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 10:03:50 PM »

Actually I was starting off fooling around. Now that I think about it, that '97 Evo might just do better with that tranny than the Evo with the '85 bottom end. Before doing anything, I'd try it with the new tranny. If the gears are tall enough, that engine will pull like a mother! If the gears are too shorrt, that bottom end doesn't do well short-shifting. That motor wants too pull. To 70 in second an 105 in third. You're not doing that with that tranny! See how it feels. I'm curious about this entire build. What cam is in that '85 Evo? Is it the original bottom end in the '85. Cases? Studs would have had to be replaced, and probably a long time ago? Ride it after you get it together. If you hate it and wanna use the '97, we'll talk then. ;) Hoist! 8-)

Howie, My original advice to Stoneman was to leave the bike stock. Two years passed and I didn't see him cause I was on the road a lot in my job. Spent 7 months in Hawaii ( yeah feel sorry for me) Anyway, fast forward two years and he brings me the bike with the whole drive train (except the motor) missing. The original trans is in a box, but missing the shafts and some other stuff. No clutch assembly whatsoever, original starter is worn out, pipes look like he's been burnin diesel instead of gas they're so full of soft black soot. I go huntin for parts to staighten it out and start running into a lot of dead ends. So I got a buddy with some old bikes that is always lookin for odd parts and he offers to trade me a Sputhe 5 into 4 case for the stock case out of Stoneman's bike. Knowing how that deal works, I post on the site looking for a 5-speed gear set and you know the rest of the story. Like I said, had it been my bike it would have been kept original. I KNOW what these bikes are worth in stock form. I didn't have that option, so I'm makin the best of the situation. Recognizing that the gearset is intended for a big bagger I'm looking at options on the primary gear that goes on the comp sprocket. My first goal is to get it together, straighten out the ignition, even replace the carb if I have to. Then ride it as you said. Beyond that who knows. It's a damn shame this bike got screwed up and parted out, but it happens. Stoneman is just a guy who rides, not someone with any appreciation for what he's riding. Doesn't make him a bad guy, he's a real standup dude in 99 other ways, just the way he is.

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 08:57:13 AM »

Howie, My original advice to Stoneman was to leave the bike stock. Two years passed and I didn't see him cause I was on the road a lot in my job. Spent 7 months in Hawaii ( yeah feel sorry for me) Anyway, fast forward two years and he brings me the bike with the whole drive train (except the motor) missing. The original trans is in a box, but missing the shafts and some other stuff. No clutch assembly whatsoever, original starter is worn out, pipes look like he's been burnin diesel instead of gas they're so full of soft black soot. I go huntin for parts to staighten it out and start running into a lot of dead ends. So I got a buddy with some old bikes that is always lookin for odd parts and he offers to trade me a Sputhe 5 into 4 case for the stock case out of Stoneman's bike. Knowing how that deal works, I post on the site looking for a 5-speed gear set and you know the rest of the story. Like I said, had it been my bike it would have been kept original. I KNOW what these bikes are worth in stock form. I didn't have that option, so I'm makin the best of the situation. Recognizing that the gearset is intended for a big bagger I'm looking at options on the primary gear that goes on the comp sprocket. My first goal is to get it together, straighten out the ignition, even replace the carb if I have to. Then ride it as you said. Beyond that who knows. It's a damn shame this bike got screwed up and parted out, but it happens. Stoneman is just a guy who rides, not someone with any appreciation for what he's riding. Doesn't make him a bad guy, he's a real standup dude in 99 other ways, just the way he is.

B B

B B, well the other side of not having an original '85 4-speed Evo is the uniqueness of the bike you're transforming it into. That bike will be sure to attract people who look at it and say"WTF is that?" That's sure to put a big smile on your face while you keep quiet and watch them try to figure out what you did! The bike will be real cool regardless! ;) Hoist! 8-)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 11:13:27 AM »

Howie,
            Thanks for the encouragement. Wish you lived close by. I think you and I would be doing stuff like this together all the time. Not to get too far off topic ( who me  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]) but I just can't get interested in the ground up bike thing anymore. Too many folks out there doing in and it's gotten to the point where my eyes go blurry whenever I see choppers. Once in awhile I'll see one I think is well thought out, well executed and looks like it actually could be ridden for a respectable distance, but for the most part, they're trailer queens to me and I have no use or respect for that type of motorcycle. With Elvis and Los Dragons I was seeing how far I could go with a production model H-D and the add ons available. That's actually been fun and I don't believe I've seen the edge of that field just yet. This Stoneman project has produced a dimension I hadn't thought of before and that is customization from a rideability and reliability standpoint. I know Stoneman is gonna " chit a brick" as we say in Maine, but I'm really into the idea of getting the 97 Evo motor back here in Dago from his cousin Bob in Michigan and building it up and putting it into the 85 FXWG. What I'm hoping is a couple weeks when it's back together from the drive train upgrade and he rides it, he'll get jazzed up enough to call his cousin and get the motor shipped out here and turn me on to that. If/when that happens, I'll contact you about the motor currently in the bike. Thanks again for the encouragement

Big B
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 21 queries.