Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Breakout for long distance touring???  (Read 21530 times)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
Breakout for long distance touring???
« on: May 12, 2014, 09:43:22 PM »

Planning a 5000 mile road trip...bad idea on a Breakout???
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Breakout for long distance touring???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 09:47:26 PM »

The wife and I have a couple of 2000 mile trips on our old Deuce without a problem. No windshield either!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:16:40 PM »

Did 3500 in less than 2 weeks on a rocker C with stock seat...  The breakout is way more confortable than the Rocker C and handling cannot be compared.........  So..........

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout gold candy
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 02:02:55 AM »

Been riding on my Breakout from the south of France to the netherlands in one day (1300 Km).
Constand speed of 145 Km/Hr ( the cruise control cannot be set above this speed) and only stopped for petrol and food.
The last 500 km it was raining but I had a windshield, that helps .
The only problem I had that after 850 Km my feet started to slide from the footpegs due to fatigue :oops: .
So I have now installed some heelrests to keep my feets where they belong.
So it is not directly 5000 miles , but I assume that you are not riding it in one day  :P 

2013 CVO Breakout Hard Candy Gold , Jekill&Hyde Shorty, SERT, Daymaker , Elite Air Filter.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 05:53:55 AM »

Been riding on my Breakout from the south of France to the netherlands in one day (1300 Km).
Constand speed of 145 Km/Hr ( the cruise control cannot be set above this speed) and only stopped for petrol and food.
The last 500 km it was raining but I had a windshield, that helps .
The only problem I had that after 850 Km my feet started to slide from the footpegs due to fatigue :oops: .
So I have now installed some heelrests to keep my feets where they belong.
So it is not directly 5000 miles , but I assume that you are not riding it in one day  :P
WOW Awesome!  Thanks for the encouragement guys!  I'm going to get a Windvest windshield so that will likely help.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 10:58:40 AM »

I wouldn't recommend it- I rode 500 miles in one day on my 05 Deluxe, and I was whipped.  Of course that was without cruise control, but the fatigue on my shoulders was probably the worst part.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

What I found from having a softail (Fatboy) and going to a touring bike (SEEG) is you can go as far as your body can take but after you stop and what you do after is the big difference. Riding my Fatboy several hundred miles/day after I got off for the evening all I wanted to do was go to sleep, however doing the same mileage or more on my SEEG (fairing/windshield) when I got off I still had energy to do stuff. W/O a windshield/fairing your body is fighting the wind speeds at whatever MPH you are riding.... several hours of that will definitely tire you out.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »

I wouldn't attempt it without a windshield for the same reasons da d00d stated.  It's doable and can be a great experience but will wear you out without some kind of wind protection.  Rode to Sturgis and back on a 1994 FXSTC and had a great time...I was a bit younger then... ::) .  Took a break every 100-130 miles or so, stretching the legs and such.  Made 500-600 miles a day going out and back.  Total trip was 4,100 miles (round trip and miles put on while in SD).  I actually enjoyed the softail much more than I expected.  Bought a Bushtec at the rally and pulled it back with no issues what-so-ever.  Pic is after the trailer was installed....sure do miss that softail... :(

My guess is you and the Breakout will do just fine.  Enjoy the trip and keep us posted on what you decide and pics from the road... :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 02:14:53 PM »

Depends on your age and physical condition/energy level.....for the reasons stated above.

I did what I though was long trips on Dyna, Heritage, etc. (500 miles a day) and I'd be ready to get something to eat and find the hotel, the bed and TV until I fell asleep.   Then I got my first bagger, an Ultra Classic.  All of a sudden I was pushing 800-1000 mile days and at the end of a 500 mile day I was still in condition to get off and party the night.

So, in short, yes....it can be done.  But it'll not be near as much fun as doing it on a bagger with fairing and windshield.  Once you cross over to the high side, you'll find yourself taking a lot more long distance rides and enjoying them a lot more.  Speaking from experience.   :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 02:33:57 PM »

Not a Breakout, but I rode across the country on a 92 Springer, with no windshield (a windshield on a Springer would be sacrilege!) about 20 years ago. No problems and was actually a great ride.

That said, I was twenty years younger as well. The Breakout is way more comfortable than that old Softtail was so depending on your physical condition (as stated earlier in this thread). I ride every chance I get and enjoy long putts. I have more aches and pains when I do them these days, but won't give it up until I can't physically mount the scoot anymore.

There is a V-Twin wheelchair in my future  :bananarock:
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead
2003 FXSD 100th Anniversary Blue
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
2014 FXSBSE Molten Cobalt

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 09:30:03 PM »

Here is my wife's Breakout set up for a long trip.  It only takes one minute to strip it down to bar hopping status.

The only thing left to make it more comfortable is a new seat and riders backrest.  The floorboards she said really helped with fatigue and made her feel more secure.

Cowboy

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:43:58 PM by CowboyBagger »
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 01:18:49 AM »

I see bags now I was wondering if he was packing a big azz back pack.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »

Kai Hawaii your in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I'm thinking if that volcano you can fly into with the three waterfalls one above the other.
How many times around that island is 5,000 miles:)
Love riding here but I'm tired of going around in circles.  My Breakout is a bit over a year old but already with 20,400 miles.  I'm planning to ship my bike from Honolulu to San Diego, then ride up the coast to Banff Canada, then back to SD via Montana/Wyoming, Colorado.  Should be fun but I only have 2 1/2 weeks to do it.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »

Depends on your age and physical condition/energy level.....for the reasons stated above.

I did what I though was long trips on Dyna, Heritage, etc. (500 miles a day) and I'd be ready to get something to eat and find the hotel, the bed and TV until I fell asleep.   Then I got my first bagger, an Ultra Classic.  All of a sudden I was pushing 800-1000 mile days and at the end of a 500 mile day I was still in condition to get off and party the night.

So, in short, yes....it can be done.  But it'll not be near as much fun as doing it on a bagger with fairing and windshield.  Once you cross over to the high side, you'll find yourself taking a lot more long distance rides and enjoying them a lot more.  Speaking from experience.   :2vrolijk_21:
[/quote]  I'll be 63 then.  My mind is 40, my body . . . eh, not so good  :-\

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 03:04:28 PM »

Get ready for the wind when you come through Wyoming. You will definitely learn what it is to lean. 
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 08:22:04 PM »

Start out with a new tire....and go 200 miles a day and have great time :2vrolijk_21:

JakeB

• Full CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2014 SERK
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »

I had a 2005 deuce.  I rode that bad boy 1900 miles from Washington to SE Iowa in 2 days.  Spent 5 days and then turned around and came home in 2 days.  I was by myself though and I wasn't sight seeing.  I was on a mission!  I remember when I got there I felt like I was strung out on drugs!  Best thing I ever did though.  Hell people used to ride horses all day through the country side and they lived.  Enjoy your trip brother, and remember those that came before you that explored their world with only the minimum required to get by!
Jake

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 07:45:11 AM »

I road a Softail to Sturgis and back in the mid-90's (1000 miles one way).  It about killed my back.  Exhausting experience.  My SEUC is like a lazy boy on wheels in comparison...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »

5,000 miles in 2.5 weeks is only about 300 miles a day. You should easily do that average on any MC. I would personally put on a small windshield, make sure the sadle is comfortable for you. (Never had a MC I kept the stock seat on, most of mine have got a Corbin attached)

Then a set of highway pegs and you are good to go.

Snapperkid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »

Long distance!? Oh hell no!
2015 Road Glide Special
2014 Honda Goldwing (When moma rides!)
2013 Breakout CVO (Bar Hopper)
2013 Road King CVO (Sold)
2009 Ultra CVO (Sold)
2011 Road King Custom (Sold)
2012 Road Glide CVO (Sold)
2012 Street Glide CVO (Sold)
2011 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Road Glide (Sold)
2002 Road King (Sold)
1994 Softtail Springer (Sold)
1972 Harley (Can't Remember)

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSBSE - Red ones go faster!
    • Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 09:14:28 AM »

Go for it!  :drink:

But if you intend on doing long days in the saddle then Bike Fitness is the key. Get out on the bike as often as you can and for as long as you can prior to the trip.

If I ride out to work for the week (1200km round trip) and I haven't been on the bike much then I really feel it but if I have been getting plenty of rides in then I feel fine. And this is with 2 inches dropped out of the rear suspension!

We just did 3500km for a long weekend to the 23rd National HOG Rally here in Australia, I had been riding out to work and doing plenty of short trips prior. Not once did I feel sore other than the odd bone jarring bump in the road.
Cheers
Brett

2013 FXSBSE with ProCharger - Giddy Up!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »

No reason not to ride long distance. Most of us have before we got spoiled with our road couches.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »

Of course horses didn't go 70mph on an interstate ;D

I had a 2005 deuce.  I rode that bad boy 1900 miles from Washington to SE Iowa in 2 days.  Spent 5 days and then turned around and came home in 2 days.  I was by myself though and I wasn't sight seeing.  I was on a mission!  I remember when I got there I felt like I was strung out on drugs!  Best thing I ever did though.  Hell people used to ride horses all day through the country side and they lived.  Enjoy your trip brother, and remember those that came before you that explored their world with only the minimum required to get by!

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 11:49:25 PM »

Go for it, very comfortable ride!
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »

1100 miles in 3 days on the CVO BO, no issues whatsoever. OK, I have the Shotgun shock and Danny Gray solo seat, so maybe I cheated a little.

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 07:29:55 PM »

Wow,  I only have 8K on mine. I have taken a few 1K+ trips over 3 days and haven't had any issues yet. I prefer the winding roads though so I usually only average 50 mph. I feel like the interstates wear me out way faster. I think you have enough to know you can do it. If you make it to the East Coast we can meet up for a beer!

BreakoutCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 06:07:29 AM »

Maybe its just me and I've only had my CVO BO for a couple months, it rides much smoother than my 05 Fatboy, maybe that fat tire has a little more cushion going on. With a windshield I don't get nearly as fatigued as I did on the FB.
I've never been skydiving, but I have zoomed-in on Google Earth really really fast.

gaturg

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 08:03:53 PM »

Had no problem on mine, rode over 1700 miles in four days. My friend on the other, that's a different story. He was on his vrod. He looked like an old man after that ride.

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 10:48:02 AM »

Ok, so you're worried about taking a new Breakout for long distance touring. Well check this out from the Harley Davidson Museum. Happened a hundred years ago this very month! Then get on your pony and ride!
JULY 29, 1914
Always fond of travel, Della Crewe was determined to see the world. Contemplating what mode of travel would be best suited to sightseeing, Crewe’s nephew joked that she should ride a motorcycle all over. Thorough investigation convinced her that the Harley-Davidson motorcycle was the sturdiest and most dependable machine for her around-the-world trip. Crewe, originally from Racine, WI, set out from her home in Waco, TX on July 24. Throughout the journey – accompanied in the sidecar by her companion dog, Trouble – she made a point to stop at farm houses, visit with locals, and even joined a parade. On July 29, she arrived in Milwaukee, having travelled 2,147 miles on this first leg of the trip. “It was a great trip with miles of smiles,” she said, “and all of them Harley-Davidson smiles. Much of this happiness was showered upon me by the big Harley-Davidson family-dealers and riders-along the way. They were a princely lot of fellows and added many a link to the unbreakable chain of happy remembrances. Everywhere the glad hand was extended to me.” Continuing eastward, Crewe arrived in NYC in December, reportedly wearing four coats, four pairs of stockings, and heavy sheepskin shoes. Trouble braved the wintry blasts clad in a special, made-to-order sweater. “The Gray Fellow,” she wrote in an article for H-D Dealer, “kept a cheerful humming regardless of roads and weather. Thaws and slush, fresh gravel, ice and snow made little difference to my motor.” At the completion of her journey, this endurance rider had traveled 5,378 miles and covered 10 states. “Never for a moment have I regretted adopting the motorcycle and side-car as my mode of travel,and in my future articles on countries which I visit I confidently expect to be able to say that my motorcycle journeying are always enjoyable.”
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 09:19:34 PM »

[/quote]  Cool Road Dawg, thanks for the post!

Elias1974

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 06:54:36 AM »

Just ended an holiday trip of 3 days. Total 900 Kms. Not bad uh?
Problems? Naaa. Not with my breakout.
My and my girlfriend, 2 of the most difficult mountain pass in Europe: Passo Mortirolo and Passo dello Stelvio (2758 Mt above sea level).
NO PROBLEMS at all!
Windshield? No please!!!!

Take Your breakout and Start your trip asap!!!

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »

Sounds like an awesome trip, I would not hesitate to do the same with my Breakout.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »

Just ended an holiday trip of 3 days. Total 900 Kms. Not bad uh?
Problems? Naaa. Not with my breakout.
My and my girlfriend, 2 of the most difficult mountain pass in Europe: Passo Mortirolo and Passo dello Stelvio (2758 Mt above sea level).
NO PROBLEMS at all!
Windshield? No please!!!!

Take Your breakout and Start your trip asap!!!

My kinda attitude!!!!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Elias1974

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2014, 05:00:21 AM »

My kinda attitude!!!!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Here's a pic of my wonderful trip! Enjoy!

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 06:21:47 AM »

Here's a pic of my wonderful trip! Enjoy!

Great shot! Thanks for sharing. That's something I have observed with the European riders. Because of the great distances in NA we have gravitated more and more towards comfort, hence the abundance of baggers in US. Europe is still into the essence of motorcycles so we see more cafe racers, bobbers, etc. I like the Breakout precisely because it is a compromise between these two extremes.

When I was planing my trip to NC to visit Jimmy I had some concerns because of the distance involved (400 miles each way) until my buddy in UK told me about his trip across Europe on his wide glide with his wife and everything they needed for a 3000+ mile trip over an entire week. And you know what, I loved every minute of my 3 day trip (1100+ miles). When I got back home, my wife was amazed at the fact that I was not the least bit tired.

:soapbox:
We can learn a thing or two from our fellow European riders. It would help us adjust our view of ridership if you guys tell us more about your rides. Don't let us dominate the discussions with our need for storage, comfort, electronic toys, air conditioning, automatic folding tops, power windows, microwave ovens, coffee makers, heaters, A/C, bathrooms/showers, etc. all packed on top of two wheels with all the inherent technical glitches that come with the complex machinery we seem to be gravitating towards on this side of the ocean.

So keep these reports coming. Thanks to you I am going to see if I can talk Jimmy (or Chip?) into letting me ride down to NC for another visit this riding season. I'm sure there are some more back roads we can navigate, he leads and I follow.

Just my two cents.

p.s. All that being said, I'm still going to get an RG (and keep the Breakout) for those really, really long rides, like from VA to Sturgis and back! ;)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2014, 06:32:02 AM »

I work with a guy that up until a couple years ago rode a 03 screaming Eagle dyna low rider. He put 77k on it doing 4-5k trips. No windshield, no bags, nothing.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Elias1974

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 06:46:44 AM »

Great shot! Thanks for sharing. That's something I have observed with the European riders. Because of the great distances in NA we have gravitated more and more towards comfort, hence the abundance of baggers in US. Europe is still into the essence of motorcycles so we see more cafe racers, bobbers, etc. I like the Breakout precisely because it is a compromise between these two extremes.

When I was planing my trip to NC to visit Jimmy I had some concerns because of the distance involved (400 miles each way) until my buddy in UK told me about his trip across Europe on his wide glide with his wife and everything they needed for a 3000+ mile trip over an entire week. And you know what, I loved every minute of my 3 day trip (1100+ miles). When I got back home, my wife was amazed at the fact that I was not the least bit tired.

:soapbox:
We can learn a thing or two from our fellow European riders. It would help us adjust our view of ridership if you guys tell us more about your rides. Don't let us dominate the discussions with our need for storage, comfort, electronic toys, air conditioning, automatic folding tops, power windows, microwave ovens, coffee makers, heaters, A/C, bathrooms/showers, etc. all packed on top of two wheels with all the inherent technical glitches that come with the complex machinery we seem to be gravitating towards on this side of the ocean.

So keep these reports coming. Thanks to you I am going to see if I can talk Jimmy (or Chip?) into letting me ride down to NC for another visit this riding season. I'm sure there are some more back roads we can navigate, he leads and I follow.

Just my two cents.

p.s. All that being said, I'm still going to get an RG (and keep the Breakout) for those really, really long rides, like from VA to Sturgis and back! ;)

thank You camcvo!
In facts, really, we (european) don't care so much about "sofa-like" rides or tecnological toys on our bikes. Even if we have plenty of curves on our roads.

I went twice in the states and i noticed that distances there are much more bigger than europe. And, of course, a 300 miles trip may be done for 200 miles on a straight road.

For me, windshield it's NOT an option. It doesn't exist at all. I want to feel the wind.

So many kinds of riders and so many kinds of bikes, this is the true essence of riding a motorcycle. No matter if it's a bagger, a chopper, a Ducati Monster or a Yamaha R1..! Well, except for BMW...  ;D i'm not able to look at these bikes...  ;)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 10:09:25 AM »

Rode my old Wide Glide for years and many miles before adding my very first windshield and I got to tell you I won't take it off. It really makes a difference on the fatigue factor and it's nice watching the bugs hit it and not you.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »

Rode my old Wide Glide for years and many miles before adding my very first windshield and I got to tell you I won't take it off. It really makes a difference on the fatigue factor and it's nice watching the bugs hit it and not you.

I can only imagine the difference between a 500 mile day on a non windshield bike and a windshield bike. I always have plenty of energy to do things when we stop for the day on my bike but I would bet that wouldn't be the case on something without a windshield and wind protection.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 21 queries.