Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cross-over pipe causing miss.  (Read 1098 times)

synful

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Cross-over pipe causing miss.
« on: December 31, 2006, 11:54:40 PM »

I have a 2005 S/E E/G with 1350 miles that has developed an engine miss at idle and driving 3 times.  The first 2 times it went away after just setting for a week.  This time the dealer says it is caused by the factory crossover pipe allowing too much cold air back since it runs Thunder Headers.  they say to replace the crossover with a Vance & Hines trues dual header pipes and keep the Thunder Headers mufflers.  I also habe a Power Commander but the cycle did it before this was installed.  It ran great each time until a hard acceleration.

Any ideas or does this HD dealer recommendation sound reasonable?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 11:55:30 PM by synful »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Cross-over pipe causing miss.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 09:50:27 PM »

Synful just to make it easier for you, on this site we call that model a SEEG (Screamin Eagle Electra Glide).

The stock header with Thunderheader exhausts may be causing your problem......I've heard of that before.  I'm sure that some of those with more experience with the stock header will chime in here, soon.  

Edited**  On the Thuderheader header, I believe that it's an anti reversionary type system.....it keeps air from being sucked back up in there.  Why go with a Vance & Hines header instead of a Thunderheader header? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 09:53:12 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Cross-over pipe causing miss.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 12:17:55 AM »

The Thunder header slip ons have little to no back pressure. I would not recommend them to anyone that wants any kind of performance from their bike, with the stock setup or true duals. If you are looking to make a lot of noise then these are great.

Go with the complete Thunderheader with a falsie if you like the Thunderheader.

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.