Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 1000 mile service  (Read 1911 times)

JakeB

• Full CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2014 SERK
1000 mile service
« on: May 17, 2014, 07:01:30 PM »

I've owned 3 new harleys over the years.  While performing the 1000 mile service on the first two bikes, I noticed the engine oil always seemed pretty clean at 1000 miles.  I just hit 1000 miles on my new ride and have bought the fluids required for the initial service.  My question is, do you guys really think it's neccessary to change the oil filter at the 1000 mile mark.  Seems to me it should be fine until the 5000 mile service.  Anybody have any factual experience with this? 
Jake

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: 1000 mile service
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 07:50:10 PM »

Don't have any anecdotal data to verify nor deny, however if you are doing the services yourself I would do (and document) everything that the factory says should be done at any particular service. All you would need to happen is the MoCo deny warranty issues down the road because you didn't change the oil filter.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 07:56:05 PM »

You paid how many thousands of dollars for a new CVO and you don't want to buy a $10 - $15 oil filter?   :confused5:
Jesus is Lord

mamacdonald

• my cvo
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:01:49 PM »

Yes change the oil filter....why would you dump new oil in a motor without changing the oil filter....15$ for a filter???

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 08:02:29 PM »

Totally unnecessary to change filter at 1000......carved in stone, anytime I change oil, I change filter
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

JakeB

• Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 08:20:21 PM »

I went ahead and changed it. You guys made me fell guilty...... Still don't think it needed to be done any more than the damn oil needing to be changed. Oil looked as clean as the oil I replaced it with!
Jake

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »

it may have looked clean, but the purpose to change the oil at 1k is to get the wear metals out of your engine.  those can be difficult to see.  if your oil is dark, thats a result of all the contaminants (combustion blowby, etc) being suspended in it.  at 1k, you shouldn't have a lot of those contaminants, but again, a lot of wear.  the metal parts are wearing in 'to their groove' so to speak.....

thats why you would need to change the filter at the same time, too.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

JakeB

• Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 09:47:27 PM »

it may have looked clean, but the purpose to change the oil at 1k is to get the wear metals out of your engine.  those can be difficult to see.  if your oil is dark, thats a result of all the contaminants (combustion blowby, etc) being suspended in it.  at 1k, you shouldn't have a lot of those contaminants, but again, a lot of wear.  the metal parts are wearing in 'to their groove' so to speak.....

Thanks.  Yeah I understand in theory why to change fluid/filter after engine break in.  But hell I've never had to change oil/filter in a cage after 1000 miles.  Understand one motor is air cooled and one is liquid cooled but other than that the mechanics are the same aren't they?  Maybe the air cooled motor runs at a little higher temperature, which would mean maybe you burn a little more oil, but that should't affect the amount of metal breaking away and entering the lubrication system.  And a new car motor and a new v-twin motor both smell the same during break in period so I just wonder why the need to change anything, let alone a filter at only 1000 miles.  I'm sure you guys think I'm a dumb ass but just wanted to bring the topic up and get some discussion going.  And see if anyone has disobyed the service manual.  I'll give you an example, I have a Toyota Tundra truck (made in Texas so don't start with the crap!) that requires no break in service and oil/filter changes only specified at 10K miles.  Why the difference?  And I'm sure there's margin built into that.....you could probably go even more miles!  Anyway, many trouble free miles on the Tundra engine. 

I might add it's saturday and i'm drinking beer.......so cut me some slack! 
Jake

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 10:58:53 PM »

Send the filter in and get it cut and analyzed. You be surprised how much metal shavings there is in there after 1,000 miles. (Did it on every oil change on my airplane)

King2013

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 11:22:22 PM »

I could actually see the need to change the filter at 1000 miles because that's what catches those metal shavings,  but the oil should be clean if the filter is doing is job.
Ultimately for the cost of doing it yourself, a few bucks won't kill ya.

WildWes72

• Git-R-Done....
  • Full CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: CVO Breakout
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 01:33:20 AM »

Bingo, what Jake said....
2014 CVO Breakout, Sedona
V&H 2-into-2 BCM Baffels
High Comp 10.5: 259 cam
Dynojet PV/Autotune Pro

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 07:16:44 AM »

Heck I wouldn't even bother 'til 100,000 miles. If anything were to go wrong you've got a seat belt and air bags there to protect ya.   ???
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »

Good move Always change the filter when doing the oil !!!!
DND

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »

Jake it may seen to be a wast of time/unnecessary changing what looks to be  poetically good oil along with filter. But at the end of the day IT'S MoCo that lay's down the rule and thumb.

Say you had an motor failure (God forbid) say at 1500mi MoCo would go though it with a fine tooth come AND the first thing that would be checked is the oil/filter. They can tell by a viscosity test of the oil how long it's been in the motor and the temperature it's been running at. Any way they can find negligence on your part too get out of the warranty.

Once that warranty has elapsed,.. Hay!! you can do what ya want. Till then MoCo calls the shots.
So do the Oil changes at the recommended mileage and if you are doing it your self record the date and keep the receipt for the perches of the oil and filter.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 09:40:42 PM »

Jake it may seen to be a wast of time/unnecessary changing what looks to be  poetically good oil along with filter. But at the end of the day IT'S MoCo that lay's down the rule and thumb.

Say you had an motor failure (God forbid) say at 1500mi MoCo would go though it with a fine tooth come AND the first thing that would be checked is the oil/filter. They can tell by a viscosity test of the oil how long it's been in the motor and the temperature it's been running at. Any way they can find negligence on your part too get out of the warranty.

Once that warranty has elapsed,.. Hay!! you can do what ya want. Till then MoCo calls the shots.
So do the Oil changes at the recommended mileage and if you are doing it your self record the date and keep the receipt for the perches of the oil and filter.
And there you have the major problem!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.