Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stubby antenas?  (Read 1710 times)

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
Stubby antenas?
« on: May 21, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »

Just wondering if any one makes really short ( stubby ) antennas for the ultra?  I have the short ones on from HD, but would love fort hem to be no more than 1 to 2 inches. ( the antennas that is ) Cheers.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Stubby antenas?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »

I got a pair of pointy nuts to cover the studs from EGlide Goodies.  I never use the CB, and have a hidden antenna for the radio. 
The best you've had is the best you know.

UAV Pilot

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »

With very few exceptions, the length of the antenna is inversely proportional to the frequency on which it transmits or receives.  In other words the lower the frequency, the longer the antenna or the higher the frequency the shorter the antenna will be.  That is why you see cell phones with very short or NO external antenna since they operate at higher frequencies than FM or CB radios.  So in reality No There is almost no way to cheat the physics of this.  Any change in antenna length be it stubby or hidden, etc will be detrimental to the maximum signal strength possible.  Yes some use the hidden antennas but they are a compromise at best.
Better to Remain Silent and Thought a Fool, Than To Open One's Mouth and Remove All Doubt......Abraham Lincoln

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:47:13 PM »

Couldn't care much less about terrestrial radio, and CBs haven't been useful since Bluetooth. 

Behold my pointy nuts......

The best you've had is the best you know.

dicko

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
    • NV

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:28:03 PM »

I like your pointy nuts!
I bought a pair of Antenna X 13" stubby antennas for my FLHTKSE.  They look great and the FM seems to work OK.  The packaging said that both antennas were optimized for CB, which I never use, but the statement intrigued me.  Being an engineering type, I connected my antenna analyzer to the cable from the CB to the antenna (everybody owns an antenna analyzer, right?).  Neither one of those antennas resonate anywhere near the CB band.  The best SWR I could come up with was 10:1 but it was in the VHF region, not CB.  Why am I not surprised?
On a lark, I replaced the stubby antenna with the stock Harley CB antenna.  Guess what?  It's a non-performer also.  Again, why am I not surprised?
I like your pointy nuts!
     -Dick-
-Dick-
2014 CVO Limited
Fullsac Stage I

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 09:50:05 AM »

I like your pointy nuts!
I bought a pair of Antenna X 13" stubby antennas for my FLHTKSE.  They look great and the FM seems to work OK.  The packaging said that both antennas were optimized for CB, which I never use, but the statement intrigued me.  Being an engineering type, I connected my antenna analyzer to the cable from the CB to the antenna (everybody owns an antenna analyzer, right?).  Neither one of those antennas resonate anywhere near the CB band.  The best SWR I could come up with was 10:1 but it was in the VHF region, not CB.  Why am I not surprised?
On a lark, I replaced the stubby antenna with the stock Harley CB antenna.  Guess what?  It's a non-performer also.  Again, why am I not surprised?
I like your pointy nuts!
     -Dick-

:huepfenlol2:

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.