Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 229

Author Topic: CVO Pets  (Read 379989 times)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: CVO Pets
« Reply #780 on: January 03, 2008, 04:52:05 PM »

Then you get one of these:  http://www.wagstrailers.com/large_pet_trailer.asp

Terry that does look like a great solution for taking the pup/s with you/us.

harleydiva

« Reply #781 on: January 03, 2008, 05:23:37 PM »

Well, Jade came home last night. She is a cutey and Brian is getting quite workout with her. She's a yellow lab and 8 wks old.

These pics are from my crappy cell phone camera, we'll get some good pictures out from the real digital camera.

Here's pic #1

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, SO cute!   :)

harleydiva

« Reply #782 on: January 03, 2008, 05:27:14 PM »

Terry that does look like a great solution for taking the pup/s with you/us.

Yeah Candy, and I might can pack some extra boots and jeans in the trailer with the puppies.   ;)   Probably the only way Terry will agree to a trailer.   :D

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #783 on: January 03, 2008, 08:49:26 PM »

Jody 115 lbs, Dutchess 72 lbs, yellow labs and Lexy petite 60 lbs. american bull staffordshire laying around the barn waiting for "happy hour" with mom & dad........

Rooster452

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #784 on: January 03, 2008, 09:23:15 PM »

I have a lab puppy about 7 months old.  We have a crate and is always supervised when out.  Chewing is an issue no doubt.  She shortened the laces on my Harley boots.  What's amazing is how fast she can dig a hole and leave nothing to fill it with.  Where did it go?   :nixweiss:   When I dig a hole I get too MUCH left over.....

Love the pictures.  Enjoy the puppy.  BTW, the puppy smell goes away after about 3 months.  Don't know where that goes either.  Somewhere with the dirt I suppose......
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #785 on: January 03, 2008, 09:26:49 PM »

I have a lab puppy about 7 months old.  We have a crate and is always supervised when out.  Chewing is an issue no doubt.  She shortened the laces on my Harley boots.  What's amazing is how fast she can dig a hole and leave nothing to fill it with.  Where did it go?   :nixweiss:   When I dig a hole I get too MUCH left over.....

And I thought it was only my lab...same result regarding the digging of a hole.  I was amazed by it.  As she got older it faded away.  But now she is 9 yrs old and it is beginning again.

Good Luck

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #786 on: January 04, 2008, 12:40:13 PM »

What an adorable little baby.  Kathy, I know you and Brian both are going to love having her. 

And yes, all of us lab lover and owners know that there is that 2 some year oral fixation that they just have to go through.  We actually got a lot - and I mean a lot, and when you think of a lot, triple it - in chew toys for our Maggie May.  That was of course after the chair, the couch, some electrical cords, my one and only boots I could ride a motorcycle with at the time, I can't count how many hair thingies,.........   We put them in a Maggie toy box.  We emphasized that any of the toys that were in Maggie's toy box were hers to chew on, pull out, drag around the house and yard at her will.  It was not perfect, but it did seem to help with that anxiety that labs go through when bored or separated from you.  We had to get the strongest chew toys - usually reserved for the rottweiler breeds, anything else she'd devour in seconds.  But over time, she learned what was hers and what was not.  Just one pair of shoes.  And like magic, one day, all the chewing was over with.  Now we have a heaping box of chew toys.  Surprisingly now - Maggie is about 6 years old, every once in a while she drags out a toy to play with. 

It is just so very much fun and fills your heart and home with that unconditonal love. 

2 Years!! Oh my gosh. She does try and chew everything. Luckily I didn't buy that new couch that I wanted! I've only bought her about six toys so far. I bought her this squirrel hand puppet last night at Food Lion and she's been dragging that around. We keep a good eye on her when she is not in the crate. As you know things could get out of hand real quick if she was left alone.

Do you brush your dogs teeth? If so, how often? We haven't done grooming yet.   

She is fun and very docile but we try and work her hard in the evenings with play/training and such.

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #787 on: January 04, 2008, 12:43:36 PM »

Kathy...the new pups were already crate trained when we got them, but they did not like it when I put their crates in the next room, so I took the breeders advice and put them in our bedroom.  I don't have a large home with large bedrooms, but I moved some stuff around a bit and got the two crates in there.  Now they sleep like angels all night long....well, from about 11pm to 6am anyway.  Sometimes they will sleep in a bit more.  I think they like to hear me snore   :D :D

Crate training is the ONLY way to go with a pup...it may be hard the first night, but don't give in!!!

Of course, you can always get ANOTHER dog to keep her company!!!  ;D ;D

Last night was kind of bad. the first night Brian slept on the couch with the TV going all night and we kept her out in the living room. She did better. Last night Brian slept in the bedroom and we kept her in the living room. We turned off the lights and she wasn't calming down so I turned on a light and that quieted her down. Then around 2 I woke Brian up to take her outside and then she wouldn't calm down again so Brian banged the crate and shut up. I'm thinking, she was lonely like you say and maybe we will take her in the bedroom with us tonight and see how it goes. Our your dogs facing you in their crates or do you have them facing away from you?

NO WAY  - please don't give Brian any ideas!! I don't think he has the energy to keep up with 2!

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #788 on: January 04, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »

Love the pictures.  Enjoy the puppy.  BTW, the puppy smell goes away after about 3 months.  Don't know where that goes either.  Somewhere with the dirt I suppose......

She hasn't started digging yet and thanks for heads up on the puppy smell, her breath - YUCK! Maybe toothbrushing will help that smell go away faster!

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #789 on: January 04, 2008, 12:47:28 PM »

And I thought it was only my lab...same result regarding the digging of a hole.  I was amazed by it.  As she got older it faded away.  But now she is 9 yrs old and it is beginning again.

Good Luck

Jock,

I'm going off the OFF TOPIC here - just want to let you know that I love your avatar - that episode was hilarious. I can just see Will Ferrell's belly just a jiggling when he played that cowbell!

Kathy

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #790 on: January 04, 2008, 01:15:56 PM »

Jock,

I'm going off the OFF TOPIC here - just want to let you know that I love your avatar - that episode was hilarious. I can just see Will Ferrell's belly just a jiggling when he played that cowbell!

Kathy

ME TOO!  I wanted to post the same thing!  Too bad there is no sound on this forum.  I'd like to hear it too!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #791 on: January 04, 2008, 01:36:02 PM »

Last night was kind of bad. the first night Brian slept on the couch with the TV going all night and we kept her out in the living room. She did better. Last night Brian slept in the bedroom and we kept her in the living room. We turned off the lights and she wasn't calming down so I turned on a light and that quieted her down. Then around 2 I woke Brian up to take her outside and then she wouldn't calm down again so Brian banged the crate and shut up. I'm thinking, she was lonely like you say and maybe we will take her in the bedroom with us tonight and see how it goes. Our your dogs facing you in their crates or do you have them facing away from you?

NO WAY  - please don't give Brian any ideas!! I don't think he has the energy to keep up with 2!

Kathy...seems things are going very well.  

I do have the two crates positioned so that the pups can look out the door and see our bed, and probably see at least part of me...they must, 'cause they will start whimpering a bit if I start moving around much in the morning when I'm waking up. I have the plastic crates with the vents on the side and wire door...more like a "cave" for them.  If you have the wire type crate, you might try putting the rear up against the wall, then cover the top and sides with an old beach towel or blanket, leaving only the front open for viewing in/out.  I have a smaller wire crate in the den set up like this, and Rider (the male pup) will go into it on his own when he gets tired of Tango pestering him and wants to nap.  Typical guy, huh?  ;)  7 or 8 hours is all they can wait...even a grown dog.  Mine are now 6 1/2 months, and go about 7 hours in the crate at night.  Puppies do not get any real control over their bladder/bowel movements until they are about 4 months, then you can expect some real changes in their patterns...until then, it's just every time they eat, wake up, finish playing, etc.  I've found with all my dogs during my lifetime, the key is to keep them on a pretty tight feeding/watering schedule, even into adulthood, then their pooping is more predictable.  I do not believe in the never empty food dish for a dog, nor the once a day meal.  Their blood sugar gets low, just like ours, so two meals per day is better, IMO.  I feed 1/2 the daily amount when I get up (or they get me up), and then the other 1/2 around 5-6 in the evening.  If they do not eat the food within 5 minutes, it gets removed.  This encourages them not to become picky eaters.  Ideally, if you can eat just a bite of something, or even drink a little something before giving them their food, it helps establish you as "pack leader", as the leader always gets to eat first in the dog world.  Same with going through doorways, etc.  It also helps to take them for a walk prior to feeding, if that's possible...make them "work" for their food...but that's not always practical or do-able.  

Never, ever, ever, give them any of your personal belonging for a chew toy, no matter how old the article is...a puppy cannot possibly tell the difference between an old raggedy slipper you don't care about and your favorite pair of boots or tennis shoes...it all smells the same to him, and with a lab, or any dog for that matter, it's smell first and all other senses second.  If they get something they're not supposed to have, give them their chew toy and take the other away.  Repeat 1,000 times.... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  They also read your body language and "vibes" like a book, paying MUCH more attention to that than any words you speak, even after they learn what the word means.  Studies have shown that a dog can detect body position changes as small as 1/2" in humans...so leaning slightly forward, or backward, is significant to a dog.  Eye contact is particularly significant...even in humans.

I don't mean to go off on tangents like this, but the stuff is interesting to me, so I read a lot, and behaviorism was my field in college, working with emotionally disturbed children for 4 years paying for school.   I still work with some emotionally disturbed children, they just happen to be 30 - 65 years old, and get paid to be here.... ;) ;) :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: ::)  I'm in HRM....
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 01:37:49 PM by TCnBham »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #792 on: January 04, 2008, 02:23:35 PM »

Kathy...seems things are going very well. 

I do have the two crates positioned so that the pups can look out the door and see our bed, and probably see at least part of me...they must, 'cause they will start whimpering a bit if I start moving around much in the morning when I'm waking up. I have the plastic crates with the vents on the side and wire door...more like a "cave" for them.  If you have the wire type crate, you might try putting the rear up against the wall, then cover the top and sides with an old beach towel or blanket, leaving only the front open for viewing in/out.  I have a smaller wire crate in the den set up like this, and Rider (the male pup) will go into it on his own when he gets tired of Tango pestering him and wants to nap.  Typical guy, huh?  ;)  7 or 8 hours is all they can wait...even a grown dog.  Mine are now 6 1/2 months, and go about 7 hours in the crate at night.  Puppies do not get any real control over their bladder/bowel movements until they are about 4 months, then you can expect some real changes in their patterns...until then, it's just every time they eat, wake up, finish playing, etc.  I've found with all my dogs during my lifetime, the key is to keep them on a pretty tight feeding/watering schedule, even into adulthood, then their pooping is more predictable.  I do not believe in the never empty food dish for a dog, nor the once a day meal.  Their blood sugar gets low, just like ours, so two meals per day is better, IMO.  I feed 1/2 the daily amount when I get up (or they get me up), and then the other 1/2 around 5-6 in the evening.  If they do not eat the food within 5 minutes, it gets removed.  This encourages them not to become picky eaters.  Ideally, if you can eat just a bite of something, or even drink a little something before giving them their food, it helps establish you as "pack leader", as the leader always gets to eat first in the dog world.  Same with going through doorways, etc.  It also helps to take them for a walk prior to feeding, if that's possible...make them "work" for their food...but that's not always practical or do-able. 

Never, ever, ever, give them any of your personal belonging for a chew toy, no matter how old the article is...a puppy cannot possibly tell the difference between an old raggedy slipper you don't care about and your favorite pair of boots or tennis shoes...it all smells the same to him, and with a lab, or any dog for that matter, it's smell first and all other senses second.  If they get something they're not supposed to have, give them their chew toy and take the other away.  Repeat 1,000 times.... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  They also read your body language and "vibes" like a book, paying MUCH more attention to that than any words you speak, even after they learn what the word means.  Studies have shown that a dog can detect body position changes as small as 1/2" in humans...so leaning slightly forward, or backward, is significant to a dog.  Eye contact is particularly significant...even in humans.

I don't mean to go off on tangents like this, but the stuff is interesting to me, so I read a lot, and behaviorism was my field in college, working with emotionally disturbed children for 4 years paying for school.   I still work with some emotionally disturbed children, they just happen to be 30 - 65 years old, and get paid to be here.... ;) ;) :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: ::)  I'm in HRM....

You are very educated on this stuff. I did buy a book on training a lab and our neighbor gave us a book on labrador retrievers so we've been reading a little bit. Like everything else you hear different things from different people, I guess you find what works and stick with it. We will try the crate in the bedroom tonight, we have the plastic kind too. It's actually a big cat carrier but it is big enough for her and we also bought the large one to use as she gets bigger.

Brian has been feeding her half the portion of the recommended amount around 7 AM and then the other half around 6:30 PM and she is a real chow hound. No problems with eating that is for sure. He waits about 10 minutes and takes her out to do her stuff.

She's had her first round of boosters and then we made an appt for her to our vet next week. 

No, we haven't given her anything personal to chew on, we did read that that was a definite no, no. 

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #793 on: January 04, 2008, 02:32:09 PM »

Pic #2 ( this one has some crappy orange hue to it - again crappy cell phone camera)
what a cutie!!!  Congratulations!!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #794 on: January 04, 2008, 02:47:33 PM »

ME TOO!  I wanted to post the same thing!  Too bad there is no sound on this forum.  I'd like to hear it too!

Enjoy......

http://webfeedcentral.com/2005/01/21/more-cowbell-video/

:indian_chief:
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 229

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 23 queries.