Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 cvo limited compass problem  (Read 3365 times)

MDW

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

2014 cvo limited compass problem
« on: June 01, 2014, 09:33:06 PM »

Anyone run into this issue and know how to fix?  While riding with my map shown with heading up, if I drive North or South the compass is correct and reflect proper North. However, going East or West the needle points opposite. Meaning North is pointing South. I searched around for a solution and could not find one. Bike is two weeks old. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Mike
2014 CVO Limited

FLHTCUSE7

Re: 2014 cvo limited compass problem
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:47:50 PM »

I got the same issue on mine. Software upgrade did not fix that.

MDW

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »

More info on this one.  My SW version appears to be the latest at 1.17.4.  I called HD support and the individual I talked to found that it seems to be a known issue.  I found posts dating back to 2013 where other riders report the same issue.  My question now would be does anyone's work properly?  This would tell me if it is unique to just a few bikes.
Mike
2014 CVO Limited

GWN

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 09:12:27 PM »

Mine is wonky as well. I have not tried the large (full screen) compass rosette to see if it is the same. I only hope that the antenna for the gps is not the same one that Sirrius XM uses. That antenna in its factory location is not much good up here in northern Canada.

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Tri Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide (traded)
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO Limited (sold)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 04:57:21 AM »

Mine is wonky as well. I have not tried the large (full screen) compass rosette to see if it is the same. I only hope that the antenna for the gps is not the same one that Sirrius XM uses. That antenna in its factory location is not much good up here in northern Canada.

I don't believe they are the same antenna.  I had my fairing off a couple of days ago to move the XM antenna, which is on the left side of the bike.  There was a small, stubby antenna on the right side at the very top of the fairing.  I think that is the gps antenna.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 05:11:07 PM »

Anyone run into this issue and know how to fix?  While riding with my map shown with heading up, if I drive North or South the compass is correct and reflect proper North. However, going East or West the needle points opposite. Meaning North is pointing South. I searched around for a solution and could not find one. Bike is two weeks old. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I do not have the manual in front of me but do remember reading about the options. You can set your GPS to show a multitude of variations, it would be my best guess that you will find a way to setup your GPS to your satisfaction by using the manual. Not trying to be a smart butt, I learned the hard way on my own.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »

I do not have the manual in front of me but do remember reading about the options. You can set your GPS to show a multitude of variations, it would be my best guess that you will find a way to setup your GPS to your satisfaction by using the manual. Not trying to be a smart butt, I learned the hard way on my own.

Under what conditions would anyone want their compass to show east and west reversed on the screen?  Perhaps it's a setting for the next time the north and south poles reverse?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 08:00:55 PM »

So on top of all their other issues Harley is now geographically dyslexic :huepfenlol2: .

Just think of the commercial scripts that could come from this:

Harley Davidson, destined for the open road.  So long as you don't care which way...  (insert vroom vroom noise here).

Harley Davidson, wherever the road takes you.  North, south, wes.... uh, never mind.

Harley Davidson, throw away the map and put the wind in your hair.  Seriously, throw away the map; we can't read the damned thing anyway.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 09:30:05 PM »

You've got to wonder...   How could this ever get into production?  :nixweiss:

Isn't the most basic starting point on the simplest GPS/Map system in existence to have north south east and west actually pointing north south east and west?   :nervous:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 10:50:28 PM »

The only options that make any sense would be track up and north up on the display.  Not that sense nor logic always apply when Harley product design is concerned.  But there's no cost saving to be had from a software gremlin in the GPS display.  So it's not a corner Mother Harley or the sub cut on purpose.  Just a careless mistake.

GWN

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »

Ok. So yesterday I went for a ride on some twisties and had another look at this. On the map screen clicked on the options then scrolled down to compass. When the large compass is on the screen it works great, very sensitive and the direction in the status bar on the bottom of the screen is also accurate. But when I go back to the map screen the small compass in the upper right corner has a mind of it's own. Let's hope it's on the list in the next update.

MDW

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »

I went ahead and sent HD a letter on this issue since they do not have an email address to send in these issues.  I will share with the group any response I receive.
Mike
2014 CVO Limited

dogilo

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 09:37:18 AM »

the compass needle was driving me nuts also. what i finally realized was that the red pointer is NOT showing North unless you are heading north. Imagine a compass face around the pointer- the red pointer is indicating your heading on the imaginary compass face. If you are going west, the needle will point left, if east, right etc. The whole boombox  system seems designed by committee, most of it works most of the time, but it should be a little more intuitive.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 04:22:21 PM »

the compass needle was driving me nuts also. what i finally realized was that the red pointer is NOT showing North unless you are heading north. Imagine a compass face around the pointer- the red pointer is indicating your heading on the imaginary compass face. If you are going west, the needle will point left, if east, right etc. The whole boombox  system seems designed by committee, most of it works most of the time, but it should be a little more intuitive.

DING, DING, DING, we have a winner!  I used to think I mine was broken too. Once you realize it's not a compass, but a directional then it all makes sense.  The read points in the direction you are heading.

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.