Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: 124 s&s engine 585-640 question  (Read 33522 times)

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
124 s&s engine 585-640 question
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:06:14 PM »

Thanks for all the earlier info. In making my decision between the 120r and 124s&s I have chosen to do the 124  ;D Now I would like your feedback as to which one :585 10.2 low compression or the 640 10.8 std engine.Thinking about such things as quality fuel on the highway,  would this be a issue with the higher compression or would it matter between the two I would assume there is a little longer life on the lower compression engine.There is probably around 6 to 10 hp difference and don't know what the torque curve difference would look like either.  :nixweiss:  I don't shift on the Red Line all the time, but I do like to hear the pipes Thanks in advance  Dave  :2vrolijk_21:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: 124 s&s engine 585-640 question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:13:37 PM »

Thanks for all the earlier info. In making my decision between the 120r and 124s&s I have chosen to do the 124  ;D Now I would like your feedback as to which one :585 10.2 low compression or the 640 10.8 std engine.Thinking about such things as quality fuel on the highway,  would this be a issue with the higher compression or would it matter between the two I would assume there is a little longer life on the lower compression engine.There is probably around 6 to 10 hp difference and don't know what the torque curve difference would look like either.  :nixweiss:  I don't shift on the Red Line all the time, but I do like to hear the pipes Thanks in advance  Dave  :2vrolijk_21:

Kind of depends on how you use your bike and what your riding habits are...  If you do much long distance touring, I'd go with the lower compression option.  If you mostly ride around town, the higher compression motor might be the ticket!  (tongue in cheek)   :)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:27:47 PM »

On a long distance Touring bike, I would opt for the 124LC (gas and elevation).

Trust me, "you will be able to get a ticket anywhere you need to get one" with the LC :nixweiss:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 11:38:53 PM »

Based on "not hitting the redline" very much and if you're riding a dresser, I would go for the LC with the 585's. Id also consider the exhaust you intend to use. The exhaust would something to at least consider because they are so influential in the characteristics of the behavior or the bike. I have the higher compression version and I have tuned mine, 120R's with increased compression and the T124 LC version. The LC version was quite some time back and it had a not so hot exhaust on it (V&H True Duals) for making big HP but for a guy that tuned a lot of bikes now, grew up on dirt bikes and had GSXR's, fast quads, dirt bikes and hot pro street style cars and even a mild drag car, the T124LC was pretty damn impressive to me for a out of the box build. Thats not to say the HC version is a slouch but it is softer on the bottom because the 640's (one of my favorite big cams that make numbers and run quiet) bleed off quite a bit of cylinder pressure and respond well to quite a bit more squeeze. Also just so you know, you can no longer order the T series motors from S&S with SE cases. They only come with the T2 cases and that poses a little bit of a task to make your oil supply and return run thru where the trans mates to the engine like the late model HD bikes. That said, S&S does offer a jig to help simplify the modification required to the cases to make the oil lines work as they do in factory form (which is no doubt the way to go IMO). Whether or not S&S can actually do the cases for the oil lines is yet to be determined because it puts them in the crosshairs for the lawsuit again. After all, the whole reason they got away from doing that in the first place was because HD filed suit for patent infringement and the result was the T2 cases. A couple of perks with the new S&S T2 cases are that they are extremely beefy! These babies look like they can handle 250 HP reliably but Im not a metallurgist or an engineer. Also, the new T2 cases are designed with the Timken crank bearing to be used without any mods to the cases making the pair up flawlessly with no extra machine work or inserts required as they are with the SE cases. You made what I really consider a no brainer choice after working with both motors several times by going with S&S. Their cam plate/oil pump is extremely beefy as well and moves a ton of oil. At hot idle on mine im running close to 32 psi oil pressure with Redline 20-60 oil. All of the components just seem like they are a higher quality. The flywheels are better, the thicker fins really do aid in keeping engine noises minimized IMO, you get roller rockers and you get a warranty! From a company that doesnt just tell you theres a warranty and then try to weasel their way out of it when something does go awry. They will take care of you unless theres an idiotic tune in the bike or you ran it without oil or something that would shame you to even have the nerve to ask for a warranty claim. They make much higher quality stuff from what Ive experienced. As far as your concern about compression and lasting longer, I dont know that looking at it the way that you are makes any sense, really. Cylinder pressure is what you should be looking at in regards to that, not static compression (ie 10.8:1 vs 10.2:1). I am working on a granite T124 quote for a member here and Ill probably know something tomorrow but one of the things we have not quite ironed out yet is the oil passage issue and if S&S can do that for me or if I will have to buy their jig and take the cases up to the machine shop and do it myself. Also just FYI, S&S builds these motors on the low side of the compression you'd typically want for the cams they offer in them. As you might suspect, it reduces the chances of warranty claims, however, I heard from a little birdie that they will increase compression a touch and back the full warranty as long as it is done at their facility before the engine leaves. Someone else mention they would only do this if you also bought and used their Pro Tune module but I really dont think thats is a reality. One last thing, the S&S motors (maybe because of the thicker fins and probably the less agressive cam ramps) run quite a bit quieter. Some of the 120R's ive done, one with even a great set of lifters and much considerably lighter valve springs installed and conventional 20-50 oil used sounds like a thrashing machine compared to the S&S motor. That may not always be the case but that is what I have seen here in my shop. Congrats on the new motor, you wont regret going the S&S route IMO.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:46:49 PM »

You might PM Independent1 here on the forum. James is running one of the 124's in his RG, but I don't remember if it is the LC or the standard. He might could give you a little insight
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 01:25:01 AM »

Thanks for all the replies and to you Independent_1 for your expertise and knowledgeable response. I am a bit concerned about the pic. of the oil lines seen here on the 120r post,re-drilling the cases would be the way to go. Please keep me informed as to how this work's out with s&s and from what you mentioned what would be the compression ratio  that the 585 would really like? 

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 01:41:17 AM »

Depending on your altitude, available fuel, whether or not you intend to take the bike to different altitudes and your dyno tuners ability, Id say shoot for about 190 CCP or so and get the quench right and you shouldn't have any problems if the tune is right. Contact John Sachs here on this forum. Hes got a real good handle on the S&S heads that come on these motors. He can do some work to the heads to make excellent power without crossing the line on compression.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 06:26:13 AM »

Dan Thayer of Thayers Sales & Service, Corfu, N.Y., recently tuned our 124" low-compression version (185 ccp)trailer-towing bagger-combo, with the use of the .585's, OE cylinder head castings, re-worked, 58mm S&S t/hog. 129/137. :)
Scott

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »

ZEE I would agree with Indendepent and his assesment. I had a 110" built to a 124 with really good parts and a 662-2 and now have a S&S124 there is really not much to compare. The S&S looks stronger, beefer and is much quieter with a lot better oil pressure and much cooler. The guys at Star Racing are using a lot of both 124's. I'm running the HC engine with some boost and I agree that this cam bleeds off a lot of compression and loves to run above 3k. So it makes it a little weak from 1800-2800 and 2 up on a bagger weak is not a good thing. but above that its good. I'm currently looking into a different cam but thats more because I'm boosting the engine. My suggestion/ recommendation would be to find someone or a shop that has one and ride it. It might be a hassel but it will be worth it in the long run because your expectations will be met. No offense ment to the 120r guys but after all the junk harley has built and continues to build I wouldn't run their engine without tearing it down to fix the same issues they have had since they started building 110". I've go around 3500 on the crate 124 HC and have really enjoyed it.

BigLew

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »

99 & 3/4 % of the time big numbers are for bragging and bench racing. The LC version will be very enjoyable and haul the mail better than most Harleys out there.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 03:37:56 PM »

Some folks are totally ate up with that. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 04:32:40 PM »

Some folks are totally ate up with that. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott
yeah! then when it hits the fan they wan to know what happened!!

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 11:12:13 PM »

Just going to throw this out there, Would it make any sense to run the 585s in the place of the 640s in the higher compression 124 ?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 12:27:23 AM »

Why don't you run the 124 LC for a while, then decide if you really need/want more??? :nixweiss:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Hog95023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 12:45:04 AM »

Based on "not hitting the redline" very much and if you're riding a dresser, I would go for the LC with the 585's. Id also consider the exhaust you intend to use. The exhaust would something to at least consider because they are so influential in the characteristics of the behavior or the bike. I have the higher compression version and I have tuned mine, 120R's with increased compression and the T124 LC version. The LC version was quite some time back and it had a not so hot exhaust on it (V&H True Duals) for making big HP but for a guy that tuned a lot of bikes now, grew up on dirt bikes and had GSXR's, fast quads, dirt bikes and hot pro street style cars and even a mild drag car, the T124LC was pretty damn impressive to me for a out of the box build. Thats not to say the HC version is a slouch but it is softer on the bottom because the 640's (one of my favorite big cams that make numbers and run quiet) bleed off quite a bit of cylinder pressure and respond well to quite a bit more squeeze. Also just so you know, you can no longer order the T series motors from S&S with SE cases. They only come with the T2 cases and that poses a little bit of a task to make your oil supply and return run thru where the trans mates to the engine like the late model HD bikes. That said, S&S does offer a jig to help simplify the modification required to the cases to make the oil lines work as they do in factory form (which is no doubt the way to go IMO). Whether or not S&S can actually do the cases for the oil lines is yet to be determined because it puts them in the crosshairs for the lawsuit again. After all, the whole reason they got away from doing that in the first place was because HD filed suit for patent infringement and the result was the T2 cases. A couple of perks with the new S&S T2 cases are that they are extremely beefy! These babies look like they can handle 250 HP reliably but Im not a metallurgist or an engineer. Also, the new T2 cases are designed with the Timken crank bearing to be used without any mods to the cases making the pair up flawlessly with no extra machine work or inserts required as they are with the SE cases. You made what I really consider a no brainer choice after working with both motors several times by going with S&S. Their cam plate/oil pump is extremely beefy as well and moves a ton of oil. At hot idle on mine im running close to 32 psi oil pressure with Redline 20-60 oil. All of the components just seem like they are a higher quality. The flywheels are better, the thicker fins really do aid in keeping engine noises minimized IMO, you get roller rockers and you get a warranty! From a company that doesnt just tell you theres a warranty and then try to weasel their way out of it when something does go awry. They will take care of you unless theres an idiotic tune in the bike or you ran it without oil or something that would shame you to even have the nerve to ask for a warranty claim. They make much higher quality stuff from what Ive experienced. As far as your concern about compression and lasting longer, I dont know that looking at it the way that you are makes any sense, really. Cylinder pressure is what you should be looking at in regards to that, not static compression (ie 10.8:1 vs 10.2:1). I am working on a granite T124 quote for a member here and Ill probably know something tomorrow but one of the things we have not quite ironed out yet is the oil passage issue and if S&S can do that for me or if I will have to buy their jig and take the cases up to the machine shop and do it myself. Also just FYI, S&S builds these motors on the low side of the compression you'd typically want for the cams they offer in them. As you might suspect, it reduces the chances of warranty claims, however, I heard from a little birdie that they will increase compression a touch and back the full warranty as long as it is done at their facility before the engine leaves. Someone else mention they would only do this if you also bought and used their Pro Tune module but I really dont think thats is a reality. One last thing, the S&S motors (maybe because of the thicker fins and probably the less agressive cam ramps) run quite a bit quieter. Some of the 120R's ive done, one with even a great set of lifters and much considerably lighter valve springs installed and conventional 20-50 oil used sounds like a thrashing machine compared to the S&S motor. That may not always be the case but that is what I have seen here in my shop. Congrats on the new motor, you wont regret going the S&S route IMO.
wow I didn't know you can't get the harley cases any more.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:47:59 PM by Hog95023 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 21 queries.