Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35

Author Topic: CVO to Alaska  (Read 82708 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Re: CVO to Alaska
« Reply #450 on: July 01, 2014, 09:00:44 PM »

It was a long day, so I thought I'd eat in and get to bed early---
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #451 on: July 01, 2014, 09:08:05 PM »

As you can tell, 85% of my pictures are taken on the go----here is how I have the camera set up---I tied a small stout O-ring to the camera with 8# test Firewire and then used a lanyard from one of my dog whistles.  It works great, I just drop the camera when I[m through. I can even work it with thick gloves on.  Then, the girls at the office bought me this light weight tripod, used when I want to be in the pic. I got tired of balancing the camera on my helmet, or a fence post, or a picnic table.  It's about 14" long, has poles like a tent with elastic rope inside, and you just let go of it and it sets itself up in 2 seconds.  Then it takes 10 seconds to fold it back up. Pretty slick--
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #452 on: July 01, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #453 on: July 01, 2014, 09:10:13 PM »

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #454 on: July 01, 2014, 09:11:19 PM »

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #455 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:34 PM »

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #456 on: July 01, 2014, 09:13:40 PM »

Headed home----

ultrarider123

« Reply #457 on: July 02, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »

I've stated it more than a couple times on this thread but it bears repeating.....thanks for all the pics and commentary on this epic trip of yours.  It's been my "first-cup-of-coffee-at-the-office" read every morning since you've started this.  Don't get on the site much during the weekend but did just for this thread to see what you saw for the day.  While the wind/rain/sun/cold was in your face on this journey, it was my pleasure to "ride" along with you.

The Lord, my family, riding into the sunset/sunrise on a long trip are the best things in this life.  This thread and trip of yours emphasized all three.  Thanks for that, brother.

Howard

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #458 on: July 02, 2014, 07:24:27 PM »

Today was the big push home--625 miles which leaves an easy 300 tomorrow---I've been following a big front so the last 3 days have been perfect---even the ever-present North Dakota cross winds were absent--was able to cruise at 3400 rpm's most of the day---roads were long and flat, except for a few miles on the western end---just pounding pavement from one gas stop to the next

When I get home, I'll post a few notes on equipment that I found essential and some helpful hints for those who are thinking about a long trip.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 09:40:16 PM by Indenial »

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #459 on: July 02, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #460 on: July 02, 2014, 07:27:08 PM »

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #461 on: July 02, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #462 on: July 02, 2014, 07:34:22 PM »

Now that my trip is almost finished, I sit staring at a long, straight road, re-living the last three weeks.  I have read the thread a couple of times and all the moments instantly return.  I can hear Joan saying “so, tell me more”----

When traveling throughout the Yukon and Alaska, looking out over the vistas seeing the immense forests, the raging rivers and when stopping for a break, hearing nothing---you realize how small you are in this world.  It’s the vastness of the territory that you become a part of---it has to be experienced.

When I think back on all the events ---the one that keeps coming to the top is the Indian kid who gave me his knife.  It was totally not necessary and was a gift from the heart. He will never know how he touched my life.  I don’t even know his name-----

There is another feeling---coming through US Customs---knowing you’re home---back to the security of the United States---it feels good

If you have the desire, the health, and the means---I urge you make the jump and do this trip.  It will challenge your comfort zone (especially when you realize there is no Harley dealer for 1000 miles).

The feeling has changed from one of anticipation and excitement to being satisfied and content. I am ready to be home. I need a hug----

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #463 on: July 02, 2014, 09:38:38 PM »

Today was the big push home--625 miles which leaves an easy 300 tomorrow---I've following a big front so the last 3 days have been perfect---even the ever-present North Dakota cross winds were absent--was able to cruise at 3400 rpm's most of the day---roads were long and flat, except for a few miles on the western end---just pounding pavement from one gas stop to the next

When I get home, I'll post a few notes on equipment that I found essential and some helpful hints for those who are thinking about a long trip.
You cruise at 3400 rpms?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #464 on: July 02, 2014, 11:44:55 PM »

When I think back on all the events ---the one that keeps coming to the top is the Indian kid who gave me his knife.  It was totally not necessary and was a gift from the heart. He will never know how he touched my life.  I don’t even know his name-----

I need a hug----

Looks like you got an appreciation kiss thrown in for good measure. Congrats on making all of us on CVOHarley smile as well as that Indian kid.

DH

PS: I have taken to running between 3500 and 4000 for cruising the slab as well.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 35

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 24 queries.