Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cutch lever losing pressure  (Read 13203 times)

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Re: Cutch lever losing pressure
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 04:15:27 PM »

I had to have the master cylinder rebuilt on my 2013 last month. It would shift but when I stopped it would start engaging until it stalled the bike.

Jack

Pretty much what I was thinking Jack.  Wow!  One year and a rebuild?????  That's not good.  I'd assume warranty took care of that?  :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

hawkeye4jw

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 08:27:55 PM »

Pretty much what I was thinking Jack.  Wow!  One year and a rebuild?????  That's not good.  I'd assume warranty took care of that?  :2vrolijk_21:

Yea. It was fixed under warranty. Luckily I was only a couple blocks from my wife's work. It went without much warning.

Ride Safe
 Jack

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 08:57:26 PM »

Fortunately these hydraulic clutches are nice simple systems.  So whatever is, and being in the hands of a great shop, you'll be sorted quickly.  Can share one bit of potential curiosity based on your description though.

While it may end up being a cylinder problem your mention that it began after it got "hot again" would make me look close around the hydraulic line where it enters the tranny side cover.  If for some reason that long nipple got bent a little or somehow any other part of the line was closer than normal to the exhaust pipe perhaps after it got good and hot the fluid reached boiling point inside the hydraulic line.  That would account for come-and-go loss of the clutch and it showing up only after the system got got.

Just an idea.  Hope you get it all sorted quickly.  Good luck.

Mine has overheated twice causing lack of pressure, the first time (two years ago) I found the hydraulic like touching the exhaust just like Twolane describes, I moved it away from the exhaust and let it cool and all was well.

Last week we were riding rt. 14 between Cody and Sheridan WY, very twisty and uphill, and it happened again, however this time the line was not touching the exhaust. I could pump the lever five or six times and get enough clutch to shift. Once we got back to flat roads and the engine wasn't working as hard the clutch was fine, my guess it that the engine/exhaust got so hot that the fluid boiled where the line comes out of the tranny...wondering if there is a way to shield the line from the heat.....

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 10:47:41 PM »

wondering if there is a way to shield the line from the heat.....

My hydraulic clutch line is inside a 3/4" piece of heat shield tubing...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »

Looks like just the solution I had in mind, thanks :2vrolijk_21:

I use it on the hydraulic line for both the clutch and rear brake....    :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Dose any one have this cluch fault
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 06:29:30 PM »

This has happened to me twice now, having all of a sudden no clutch. ( 07 ultra classic )  A bit of back ground, when it has happened both times I was in stop/go traffic and a hot day. When I first notice it the clutch lever  has no back pressure (like there's no hydraulic oil) when I go to pull the lever. With in a few minutes the full action of the lever there is nothing. At one point it stalled the motor. In order to get going again I had to short stroke (pump) the lever to disengage the clutch once the pressure is up it holds when I let the lever back out I'm back to pumping it again to get the pressure back up.
Now I know it's hot motor related. What I don't understand is how a hot motor can disable the hydraulics of the clutch. By the way once I'm out of the stop and go and rolling all is back to normal.
This is not a good thing to be losing my clutch in city traffic. Any input to resolve this with out having to go to HD would sure be appreciated.           

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Dose any one have this cluch fault
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 06:37:03 PM »

This has happened to me twice now, having all of a sudden no clutch. ( 07 ultra classic )  A bit of back ground, when it has happened both times I was in stop/go traffic and a hot day. When I first notice it the clutch lever  has no back pressure (like there's no hydraulic oil) when I go to pull the lever. With in a few minutes the full action of the lever there is nothing. At one point it stalled the motor. In order to get going again I had to short stroke (pump) the lever to disengage the clutch once the pressure is up it holds when I let the lever back out I'm back to pumping it again to get the pressure back up.
Now I know it's hot motor related. What I don't understand is how a hot motor can disable the hydraulics of the clutch. By the way once I'm out of the stop and go and rolling all is back to normal.
This is not a good thing to be losing my clutch in city traffic. Any input to resolve this with out having to go to HD would sure be appreciated.         
Moved/merged your post/thread w/this existing thread... sounds like your exhaust is overheating the hydraulic clutch fluid... read some of the posts previously (especially "sadunbar" post).

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 06:48:39 PM »

The hydraulic clutch line runs along the exhaust header.  The heat from the exhaust header is what's causing your problem.  The fluid is reaching a boiling point.  If their is any moisture in your clutch brake fluid, it will boil even quicker.  This occurs faster with old fluid, as the older the fluid, the lower the boiling point.  And it happens sooner at high altitude, because the boiling point is lower at altitude.  This has happened to me.  I have insulated my brake and clutch line with heat protective sleeve where it is near the exhaust.  I'd suggest flushing the line with fresh fluid, and install some heat protection... 

http://www.jegs.com/

Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 07:56:52 PM »

The hydraulic clutch line runs along the exhaust header.  The heat from the exhaust header is what's causing your problem.  The fluid is reaching a boiling point.  If their is any moisture in your clutch brake fluid, it will boil even quicker.  This occurs faster with old fluid, as the older the fluid, the lower the boiling point.  And it happens sooner at high altitude, because the boiling point is lower at altitude.  This has happened to me.  I have insulated my brake and clutch line with heat protective sleeve where it is near the exhaust.  I'd suggest flushing the line with fresh fluid, and install some heat protection... 

http://www.jegs.com/

Thanks sadunbar and Fierd00d I'll be getting on it straight  away. Man Harley must know of this but don't redesign it in order to keep their shops busy  for those that can't DIY them selves. For a 30k+ bike for what I consider to be a dangerous fault has there not been any kind of recall 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 08:06:40 PM »

Thanks sadunbar and Fierd00d I'll be getting on it straight  away. Man Harley must know of this but don't redesign it in order to keep their shops busy  for those that can't DIY them selves. For a 30k+ bike for what I consider to be a dangerous fault has there not been any kind of recall

hehehe....  good one!   :2vrolijk_21:

Oh wait a minute, you were being serious...   ???

Sorry - but nope, no kind of recall...    :(
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 10:08:09 PM »

hehehe....  good one!   :2vrolijk_21:

Oh wait a minute, you were being serious...   ???

Sorry - but nope, no kind of recall...    :(

hehe..... ya your right! that was a good one  :P

04cvoron

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2021, 11:29:35 AM »

If anyone sees this I have the same bike same problem
Anyone ever find a solution?
I’m going to be looking into the transmission for any issues there since the pushrod goes through there
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 22 queries.