Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: more HP  (Read 14250 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: more HP
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 12:58:15 PM »

Don't side-step the torque delivery/torque peak, just to see an hp number.
145-150 ft/lbs is a pile-o-fun. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 03:14:36 PM »

you talking to the rear wheel?  and 124 ci?
Don't side-step the torque delivery/torque peak, just to see an hp number.
145-150 ft/lbs is a pile-o-fun. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »

Yes, and Yes.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 06:22:58 PM »

YES, you can get the number on a dyno with great conditions at the time, but, a day by day on various dyno's around the country it just doesn't happen. On a street HD with pump gas 130 is a number that seems to be the upper range that things begin falling apart on our beloved HD bikes. Sure we can all dream about 140, 150 hell even 200 but if you try and run that across the country in a touring bike they fall apart in short order.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »

Good deal. The dealer I am at indicated they can keep me covered if I at their shop. Breaking down on the road may be a different matter? As you might have seen on my other thread about the 255 vs A 54 I am on the fence about the cam work.

Sorry bout the HP thread jack back to the big bikes.

IMO, you'll have MORE reliability with the 54 cam over the 255 cam.  :o
John

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 07:59:33 PM »

IMO, you'll have MORE reliability with the 54 cam over the 255 cam.  :o
John

Well that pretty much sums that up lol  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »

thanks for the info ,..I think our thread got jacked :jack:

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 10:07:18 PM »

???????????

i have a hayabusa with 200 hp , that's the only non Harley i would ride

head/cams package from Carpenter racing..  full exhaust, power commander and a good tune  2008 orange busa,....

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2014, 12:46:32 AM »

:nixweiss:
I had a K1600 GTL last year. Loved the engine but they have a few quality issues to work through before I get another one. Issues with hand controls that shorten out, first model with a slipper clutch resulting in a very annoying drive line lash.

But it handles great and the engine is one if the best I ever had in an MC.

It did not feel that high to me. Seat is narrow in the front and my inseam is 31-32.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 03:47:29 AM »

:zthread:

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2014, 07:08:33 AM »

YES, you can get the number on a dyno with great conditions at the time, but, a day by day on various dyno's around the country it just doesn't happen. On a street HD with pump gas 130 is a number that seems to be the upper range that things begin falling apart on our beloved HD bikes. Sure we can all dream about 140, 150 hell even 200 but if you try and run that across the country in a touring bike they fall apart in short order.

Steve,
With a Wood 9F,(or other similar cams) at 11.2 cr(less ccp than a 110", and crate S&S engine is 10.8 cr) headwork, good pipe, t/body, or modified carb, seems to work at/very near those numbers I said.
An S&S .640 won't have the "hit" off the bottom, even at 11.7 cr, but it'll have a lot of whip out the back door.
200 ft/lbs or hp would be a supercharged/turbo bike, at least from what we've seen.  :)
Scott
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:28:55 AM by HILLSIDECYCLE.COM »

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »

Steve,
With a Wood 9F,(or other similar cams) at 11.2 cr(less ccp than a 110", and crate S&S engine is 10.8) headwork, good pipe, t/body, or modified carb, seems to work at/very near those numbers I said.
An S&S .640 won't have the "hit" off the bottom, even at 11.7 cr, but it'll have a lot of whip out the back door.
200 ft/lbs or hp would be a supercharged/turbo bike, at least from what we've seen.  :)
Scott

Seeing the number is one thing but unless I am missing it, here most if not all the members are looking for a Touring style bike that needs to be able to tour the country, run pump gas and not fall apart. I have yet to see any 11:1 HD type engine live long enough to be in any way shape or form fit those guidelines. As I said for a bar hopper/ in town hotrod it's fine but not for a touring bike that's going to pull a trailer or double up loaded type bike.

IMHO too many people are pumping numbers and give people an unrealistic idea that it's all well and good to have a 130 square HD type engine and have it live under the above conditions. Only problem is once people get those type numbers the bikes begin falling apart at a much faster rate than they do to begin with. Try getting one of the above 130 Hp builds stuck in traffic! I've been doing this for along time (40+ years)and I am well aware of how to build HP and torque but I'm also smart enough to understand the limits for the conditions the engine is intended to operate in.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2014, 11:17:26 AM »

Seeing the number is one thing but unless I am missing it, here most if not all the members are looking for a Touring style bike that needs to be able to tour the country, run pump gas and not fall apart.

I can't speak for everyone else, but for ME, this is EXACTLY what I want.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2014, 11:19:15 AM »

Seeing the number is one thing but unless I am missing it, here most if not all the members are looking for a Touring style bike that needs to be able to tour the country, run pump gas and not fall apart. I have yet to see any 11:1 HD type engine live long enough to be in any way shape or form fit those guidelines. As I said for a bar hopper/ in town hotrod it's fine but not for a touring bike that's going to pull a trailer or double up loaded type bike.

IMHO too many people are pumping numbers and give people an unrealistic idea that it's all well and good to have a 130 square HD type engine and have it live under the above conditions. Only problem is once people get those type numbers the bikes begin falling apart at a much faster rate than they do to begin with. Try getting one of the above 130 Hp builds stuck in traffic! I've been doing this for along time (40+ years)and I am well aware of how to build HP and torque but I'm also smart enough to understand the limits for the conditions the engine is intended to operate in.

.......I'm gone............have a great day............... :2vrolijk_21:

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2014, 04:03:23 PM »

There are different ways to look at power and I hope you find your 150hp mark. I like big power but need to do some real touring with my new Limited bike. I doubt that a 150hp Street Glide will make 20k/yr in big trips and week long rides but as a hot town bike it does sound thrilling.

I should start another thread to define what a touring bike really is. ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.